• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create custom book templates/sizes from scratch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a way to create new pages completely from scratch by laying out the position of the picture frames and text frames instead of using just the provided templates. I like to do my own layouts that match the text.

Also can we have double page layouts where they are linked and cannot be broken apart.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom 7.5 was released earlier today with new features that allow for custom page creation. Give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
186 Comments
Advisor ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 6 years since this thread began. With that said, it appears Adobe is never going to address this. My guess is they enjoy the kickbacks from Blurb too much to rock the boat and care little what their end users who wish to use other providers think.

Besides, they seem to have put all their marbles into Lightroom Mobile of late and no longer seem interested in 'Old Tech' like printed books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to wanting to be able to create my own templates for book pages, I also want Adobe and Blurb to include Lay Flat pages as an option.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave it a go, great for a quick page layout. In fact a lot quicker then writing the layout template code manually which I did for a bunch pages I use regularly. On the other hand, my pages can be pretty complex and include double spread layouts. You just need to learn the language of the .lua template file! So in fact you can make your own templates, it's just.... laborious, a bit complicated and takes a couple of iterations to iron out the inevitable errors!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great Crusoe ... but if we must do all the coding to achieve custom pages in the Book module ... what are we paying Adobe for? I thought that was part of the deal ... we pay the Lightroom team to do the coding for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great Crusoe ... but if we must do all the coding to achieve custom pages in the Book module ... what are we paying Adobe for? I thought that was part of the deal ... we pay the Lightroom team to do the coding for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite right, but while "Mr Adobe" is (or maybe is not) getting his derrière into gear, custom pages are still required. Until I read up on how to do this, I used to export my pics into a third party module (like most folk I suppose) which in principle works, but it sure makes life easier when you can pop back to the develop module at the drop of a hat for the inevitable touch-up that was missed, or simply something different was required when you finally get a page together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to move from Aperture to Lightroom when Apple dropped support and also stopped printing Books. Unfortunately Books in Lightroom does not allow movement, resizing or borders for the photo cell as was available in Aperture. I have now found the CEWE book creation program which does include these features but after making adjustments in Lightroom I then have to export the photos before they can be imported into CEWE. Please can the book program be improved to allow these adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 7.5 was released earlier today with new features that allow for custom page creation. Give it a try!
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great unless you prefer to print your photo books/albums using a service other than Blurb. Then the situation relegates the Book module to the level of a cruel joke.

Unless you are aware of another printer service that can utilize the Blurb template page sizes, margins, gutter and bleed parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. And now, please please add support for custom page sizes in Book module, not just custom layout with fixed Blurb sizes, which are of no use if you print in other sizes, like A-sizes or anything custom. I would rather have custom page size over custom layouts, as I try to print books myself, but can't use Blurb sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot believe that the Book Module is still crippled in terms of page sizes and placement of metadata.  90% of the effort is complete, it just needs a final push to make it usable.  The same comments apply to proper placement of metadata in the Print Module (even though the functionality already exists in the Slideshow module... which needs upgrading also).

Anyway... I have devised my own solution.

See post No. #13 and #14 on the following Lightroom Queen discussion.

Book Module. Book Size. | Lightroom Queen Forums

Votes

Translate

Translate