• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create custom book templates/sizes from scratch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a way to create new pages completely from scratch by laying out the position of the picture frames and text frames instead of using just the provided templates. I like to do my own layouts that match the text.

Also can we have double page layouts where they are linked and cannot be broken apart.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom 7.5 was released earlier today with new features that allow for custom page creation. Give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
186 Comments
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom needs badly to revamp the Book Module.  Walk away from Blurp and give us a Book Module that is more versitile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also disappointed that now 4 years of this string and there's not update for custom book sizes.  I sat here about the entire day playing with the functionality of the print module only to find that I can't create a custom size.  Wish I ran across that issue right from the beginning.  Was very surprised. Very disappointing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! When launched, the promise was at least for a standalone book template editor. That would be incredibly helpful, for custom printing and for services like Blurb's acquisition of MagCloud!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that promise.  Sad to promise publicly on a website and not honour it.  

At the same time, I believe an external template editor would be of limited use, as in reality we wish to adjust the objects in the page we are editing, not its template.

I tried out Affinity Design beta to-day on Windows and was impressed. I am seriously looking forward to their release of Affinity Publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why will Adobe not release the ability to create custom size templates within Lightroom?

There are many photo editors out here who need to prepare custom layout books for export to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since years, the community searches for workarounds of the limitations of the book module. Many professional photographers are not using Blurb for their client photobooks. Especially in Europe, we have different page rations for landscape books.

The book module of Lightroom is an awesome tool to speed the personal workflow (especially of professional wedding photographers) massively up with the only limitation, it can't be used due to the Blurb limitation.

Please Adobe, we are asking since more than 5 years for an enhancement of the book module with the ability to create custom book sizes and templates. This update would increase the value of Lightroom in a professional environment a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2016 Oct 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree.  Adobe will you please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To have A4 portrait and landscape page sizes would allow scaling up or down for the international paper sizes.   Adobe , please implement this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering how this feature was not added to Lightroom, being asked five years ago. Seriously, is there someone listening to us?
This feature is asked everywhere... in forums, in all places.
  • How many years we have to wait to be able to have our custom book size pages?
It has all the sense, I can create custom pages in all programs, such Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign... I also want to create a pictures book with my own custom book size...
I would love this be treated urgently, and added immediately in the next update, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is so depressing. I was getting ready to make a book and am disappointed to read all of these comments with no response from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredibly disappointing that nothing has changed in 5 years.  That's right FIVE YEARS.  Clearly Adobe simply do not care that this thread is pleading for Custom Books and Templates.  When I recently opened Lightroom I was asked if I would recommend Lightroom and also what would make the product better.  My comment was that the Book module needs to allow Custom Book sizes and Custom template design.  Users want to be able to place images and text wherever they want on the page at any angle and any size within the confines of the book size.  This idea that you restrict users to built in book sizes and templates is just ridiculous.  This product could be so much better with some serious attention to giving users what they've been screaming out for in the last FIVE YEARS.  I cannot put my hand on my heart and recommend Lightroom when people ask me if you can create books of your own dimension and layout.  I tell them that the Book module is very restrictive. 

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... non open source coder in the world since 5 year to "fix" this ? that's frustrated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's 5 years now and still nothing towards enabling Custom Book sizes and being able to create page layouts within the book without the need for templates. If Blurb requires templates then leave that aspect in there for those still happy to get their books printed through Blurb but PLEASE provide a Custom book option to allow user total freedom of book design and layout.  If Aperture can provide total freedom in Book layout design then surely Lightroom can facilitate the same freedom.  Restricting users to having to use templates is just an exercise in control freakdom (sic). 

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lightroom's developpers ! Best wishes for 2017 and specially find a way to let us edit the page templates in the book module :-), you will satisfy all your fans !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up on the Blurb plugin in LR and would suggest that others follow suit and use Bookwright. The plugin has only one benefit for me, and that is the ability to start laying out my 2 page spreads using my raw images from LR. To actually build a book, use Bookwright where you can make your own templates. There are still a few glitches with Bookwright, but I was satisfied with the results I got. With Bookwright you can use RGB, not just sRGB in the photos you place in the book. I think mine came out fine using ProPhoto RGB, with sufficient saturation and contrast: http://www.blurb.com/b/7645948-the-namib-desert

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to create a book in LR to my design and not be limited to the supplied presets with minor adjustments. Now if Blurb supply the templates, why don't they also give you the same facilities as in their own Book Wright? That's more akin to the InDesign plugin = greater freedom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to be able to input custom size pages for the book module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to announce that I created an online tool that allows you to create your own templates using some DTP software. It's still in its early stages and I welcome feedback. Hope you find it useful!

http://ferdinand.veldmans.com/page2lr.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom BOOK Module: Create Custom Templates from Scratch - Blurb is affiliated with Lightroom. Blurb has an intuitive, powerful and flexible book making software called Book Wright. CC Lightroom users do have a BOOK Module linked with Blurb. However, the BOOK Module is inferior to the power and flexibility of Blurb’s Book Wright. For example, in Book Wright we can use the “Draw Tool” to add and position as many Text or Photo boxes as we want and position them in any location on a blank page layout. Users can personalize their layouts and creatively modify the fill and aspect ratio of their photos or text boxes . This provides the freedom many want when creating page layouts including overlapping images for effects. Creators are not restricted to set of templates provided in Lightroom’s BOOK Module. Having the ability to freely position and resize photo cells or text boxes in Lightroom’s BOOK Module in the same manner as Book Wright would be a huge asset. There’s an advantage to linking a Lightroom “COLLECTION” directly to Lightroom’s BOOK module. Utilizing Book Wright requires a work-around virtual “Collections” in Lightroom. A separate image folder would need to be created for Book Wright’s software to link-in. What’s worse is that Lightroom users would now have to leave Adobe’s application to utilize the more powerful external application of Book Wright. I’m certain Lightroom users would rather use a Blurb plugin or have the BOOK module updated with similar Book Wright features to keep users within Adobe’s own application. Hope this becomes a future consideration or update. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create custom size templates?  I have created a number of portrait templates with various layouts.  I would really like to be able to create some other templates.  Currently the portrait ones are all 8" across.  I would like to be able to create a 8x8 square and rectangle with 8" width.

I have only been able to find answers saying connecting computer to printer.  At present my laptop isn't connected to our printer.

If I connected it, was able to create the 2 new sizes templates, would I be able to use them downstairs or only when connected to the printer please?

I want my blog to be uniformed in the sense that all my collages are 8" across, and can vary in deoth.

Thank you so much

Clair

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about some updates to the Book Module. It has not had any significant updates at all. How about custom pages. How about moving the Global Options to a separate panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see how you can create your own book page layout templates from scratch, watch my tutorial. As always, feedback is welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqw_BwkgFk

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ferdinand for the tool and the video tutorial. It looks great, but do you plan to release a Mac version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need a Mac version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,