• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create custom book templates/sizes from scratch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a way to create new pages completely from scratch by laying out the position of the picture frames and text frames instead of using just the provided templates. I like to do my own layouts that match the text.

Also can we have double page layouts where they are linked and cannot be broken apart.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom 7.5 was released earlier today with new features that allow for custom page creation. Give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
186 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used LRBE several times over the last month and been pleased with it.
It allows me to create new templates and to edit old ones.
Is it perfect? No. It crashes with some layouts, but I've learned what they are and am able to use it well.
Also, it has a text window that shows the commands for each image-box in a given template. I've been using my own script code (Matlab) to generate more complicated template layouts. I can then copy-paste those into the text window and LRBE will then use those templates. Nice. Example:

<rect fill="#cccccc" stroke="#000000" x="36" y="36" width="1368" height="720" id="svg_0"/>
<rect fill="#cccccc" stroke="#000000" x="1422.36" y="360" width="360" height="396" id="svg_1"/>

I highly recommend it.
Many thanks to Slynn1324 for creating it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't however create the template below which is a mirror image of LR's. The 3 small inline image didn't appear when used in LR CC. Any idea why?

The code is as below...

DB8D5FAD-0739-4D82-BFCF-E6C6516FC021

I'm sorry if this is not the proper place to post this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't however create the template below which is a mirror image of LR's. The 3 small inline image didn't appear when used in LR CC. Any idea why?

Sorry if this is not the proper place to post this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the many requests for this feature it appears to fall on deaf ears. Many users have the capacity and ability to print their own books using commercially available paper and covers.

The default page sizes in the Lightroom book module are very limited. Surely it would make sense to allow users to create page sizes as there are other books available. I realise that you can output to a PDF and reset the page size but it would be nice to create the entire book within Lightroom.

One of the issues is that very few, if any, paper manufacturers sell photo quality paper in 12" x 12". Most manufacturers sell paper either in regular ISO, 8x10 or rolls. There are very few other formats available.

Not everyone wants to pay Blurb to produce a book or in my case a small portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am needing a new photo solution moving from Apple Aperture.  I am a heavy user of the Book module.  The Aperture book module met all of my needs, and the lightroom one is sadly lacking a few key elements that will keep me from using this software.  What I would like to see, which is available in so many of the book software is this:

Fully customizable templates.   Currently in LR, I am only able to increase or decrease the padding around a picture but I can't change the actual size of a photo cell.  I need to be able to completely customize the size of a photo box and add or subtract photo boxes as needed.   I also would like to be able to put a photo box on an angle, and add a border. 

Please let me know if there are any current workarounds to these concerns, or plans to change the current software with these accommodations. 

I realize that InDesign (though far more robust than what I need) could accommodate these wishes,   it is just SO MUCH BETTER to have the book module in the same software.  That way, once you have your layout, it is far easier to make any photo adjustments within the same environment and not have to export, and mess around outside of the photo environment.  

Thanks,
lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You are 100% correct....there are huge advantages to avoid round trips to an external book editor. 
2. I use InDesign (when I have to) and absolutely hate the experience. The InDesign GUI belongs in the dark ages.  I groan when I have to consider using InDesign.
3. As a work around, I create high quality PDFs (with Titles and Captions per image) using Microsoft Mail merge and a script to remove blank lines). Works for me when I want to send a high quality proof to a client, but not good enough for a book. It takes me 5 mins to generate this pdf after I have done my first pass in Lr on a session.
4. I have given up on the book module a long time ago, but would love to return if Adobe would just fix the obvious.
5. Adobe is the company I use but who I have least amount of respect for. 
6. Titles and Captions in Lr Mobile gets the same treatment as the Book Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only work around to be able to customize templates is to edit the LUA templates
found in the Lightroom installation folders. This is not documented and it is not user friendly either because you have to type the coordinates and frame dimensions in a text file without the ability to do interactive changes. I use this approach with a excel sheet that generates the text. You can find some links with information about the LUA templates in other posts above. I have not found a way to rotate images.

Lightroom should add custom book templates but has ignored requests from users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished a 235 page travel book (Africa!) in the LR photo module (printed with Blurb).  I used to curse the book module, but have found a workable solution using LBRE (LightRoom Book Editor).  Its not pretty, but it works.  Using it one creates/modifies the templates and then applies the templates to the book pages.  One can't directly edit the book pages in LR, its a 3rd party app that modifies the templates only.  To me, the benefits of editing raw files directly with LR make this worthwhile.  The other benefit include the outstanding stability of the LR book module;  i've never seen it crash and the resulting PDF from my last book was 1.3GB.
Please note that LBRE is not a polished tool.  Its open source code that a fellow LR user gratefully built and shared.   Be patient with it and it will serve you well.
To use LBRE:
- download the application from bitbucket
- shutdown LR
- start LBRE and it will read the Custom Templates folder
- create and modify templates for the page size that you want.  One can add, subtract and move photo blocks and text blocks.
- save the results back to the Custom Templates folder for LR (and close LBRE)
- start LR and it will read the new (or modified) templates
- apply the templates to the pages in the book module
Like I said, its not pretty, but it works and works well.
Good luck.
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does LBRE allow you to change the page sizes in case you don' want to use Blurb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it just modifies existing page sizes.  I believe that one could modify the LUA scripts to do that, but it would take some experimentation.  The LUA script for each template page does encode the page size, but I can't image that LR would allow those numbers to override the current page setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to change the page sizes editing the LUA scripts. I can also change frame sizes and positions. I was hoping that I could achieve the same with LBRE in a more user friendly way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame sizes can be changed, added and deleted.  I haven't seen any options for changing page sizes.  
I would imagine that once a template page script has been created with a given page size, LBRE will just read the page size parameters and allow you to edit within that page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for all your responses. I really appreciate you taking the time!  I checked out the LBRE and want to thank whoever put all the time and effort into doing that and making it available to fellow users.  I tried using it but fear I am going to run into the same problems:

I scan thousands of photos and then create books for my clients.  The books that I make tend to be Family History books where each page, while it may start from a common template,  evolves into it's own customized page - depending on the story being told by each picture or collection of pictures.     I feel like I would spend hours in LBRE enlarging text boxes or recreating photo box sizes depending on what is required for each page.

I REALLY REALLY want to keep my Asset Management (DAM) & photo editing & book design all together in one application to simplify the workflow.   Is there ANYTHING out there that would work?  I've spent hours searching to see if there are any other feasible options but there just doesn't seem to be.  What have you guys done for your own solutions and why?

My new options seem to be:
- Stick with Aperture for another year and hope it won't crash and burn.  Then reassess and hope something will have changed in the market.
- Switch to LR for the DAM and Editing.   Find a separate software system for book design and just deal with the awkwardness that comes with having to adjust photo edits and library work in a different application.  ARG.
- Cry.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Aperture but feel like I'm on a sinking ship.  

http://picturesonpages.com/gallery/family/ This is an example of what I create.  I'm not sure that I can streamline the workflow well enough in LR but don't know any other options.

Thanks, 
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for all your responses. I really appreciate you taking the time!  I checked out the LBRE and want to thank whoever put all the time and effort into doing that and making it available to fellow users.  I tried using it but fear I am going to run into the same problems:

I scan thousands of photos and then create books for my clients.  The books that I make tend to be Family History books where each page, while it may start from a common template,  evolves into it's own customized page - depending on the story being told by each picture or collection of pictures.     I feel like I would spend hours in LBRE enlarging text boxes or recreating photo box sizes depending on what is required for each page.

I REALLY REALLY want to keep my Asset Management (DAM) & photo editing & book design all together in one application to simplify the workflow.   Is there ANYTHING out there that would work?  I've spent hours searching to see if there are any other feasible options but there just doesn't seem to be.  What have you guys done for your own solutions and why?

My new options seem to be:
- Stick with Aperture for another year and hope it won't crash and burn.  Then reassess and hope something will have changed in the market.
- Switch to LR for the DAM and Editing.   Find a separate software system for book design and just deal with the awkwardness that comes with having to adjust photo edits and library work in a different application.  ARG.
- Cry.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Aperture but feel like I'm on a sinking ship.  

http://picturesonpages.com/gallery/family/ This is an example of what I create.  I'm not sure that I can streamline the workflow well enough in LR but don't know any other options.

Thanks, 
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given they do tie in with Blurb, I can't quite fathom why a standard Blurb/Mag Cloud  magazine template  format/size is not available in Lightroom? I'd love to be able to make magazines easily using the book module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was requested 4 years ago! Please Adobe at least COMMENT on this idea!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I dream of exporting to PDF slideshows with music.
2. I very much hope that BOOK module will have a user custom page size

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be good if we can get larger book layout sizes such as 12 x 16" and 16 x 16" as 12 x 12" as the maximum size is a little restrictive 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been nine months now since Kevin Tieskoetter was quoted in a blog interview about the new Book module in Lr 4.x ... in which he stated:

"Yes! All of the templates we ship with Lightroom are made using Illustrator, and I'll be documenting the process for creating those. We've also successfully made templates using InDesign and the freeware tool called Scribus, so if you need templates in different sizes, you'll have a range of options."

The full interview can be read here:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/kevin-ti...

Where is this documentation? Why are you holding back? When will this issue be addressed? Why did you design it to be a one-trick pony only supporting a single vendor in the first place? Are you choosing to intentionally force Lr users to seek other options for their book making needs?

Yes, you did offer the ability to export books to pdf or jpeg ... but ... if none of the six book vendors I do use don't use the page sizes available in the Book module ... what good is it? To this point ... the Book module, in it's current state, is just a waste of space on my hard drive and a useless feature I am expected to pay for and not implement because you (and/or the executives in charge) don't think it's important to keep your word and share how to create custom templates and page sizes.

I await your response to this matter ... of course ... if you continue to remain silent on the subject ... that too will speak volumes ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a topic merged with this one, Julie Kmoch, Senior Development Manager at Adobe, wrote on 10/9/2012:

Sorry, but we've decided that the approach we were originally pursuing to create custom page layouts was not something we were comfortable releasing to the public. The scripts we've built have worked well enough for our internal use but needed a lot of work before they were usable without a lot of guidance. We think it's more prudent for us to focus on enhancing the book module itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great -- It's now over 3 years later and we have... nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translation of Koch's comment: "We're getting a sizable kickback from Blurb so we don't want to rock the boat and have Lr users using other sources to print their books ... "

If this is not the case ... name one other module, app, plugin that Adobe has created that is locked into a single vendor.

How popular would Lightroom be if you could only print from Epson printers or only process files from a single brand of camera ... or create web galleries that only worked in one browser?

Why should we be hampered by a single vendor for books?

Sure we can export books in jpeg or PDF format ... but does anyone know of another vendor that offers top quality albums and books that will accept work created using a Blurb template?

Users should be able to set the page dimensions, margins, gutters and bleeds for whatever vendor we wish to use. 

I haven't believed Kmoch's comment/explanation from the minute she shared it. It's nothing more than pure poppycock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom to manage my photos but... Aperture to create books. The fixed templates of Lightroom are too limited. Unfortunately, it will be impossible to buy new books from Aperture in few days (and Photos uses templates). A good replacement would be an evolution of Lightroom !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dream on......

Adobe appear to have forgotten about or abandoned the Book module.  I have started making handmade books, which suits my volume and demand for quality,  avoiding the Adobe / Blurb connection completely.

If Adobe every do make this a proper book module I will use the module for paper based archives of certain projects, where I can automate the process .... until then I have abandoned Adobe's flawed Book module.

My high quality books are now handmade.  Interesting to learn the craft of bookbinding with traditional materials, but producing the pages / leafs on fine art media of  my choice. Thanks to Adobe for pushing me in this direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share your frustration with the Book Module. It forced me to simply use Photoshop and after a short time that process became fairly effective.
Photoshop now has many new and improved tools and its Guides functionality is very helpful. You can create books by creating a new page 300dpi and whatever size a 2 page spread will be. Then position guides in the middle and the safety zones on all sides. I just use file Explorer to view thumbnails of my 'Selects' and simply drag them onto the layout where they come in as smart objects. I generally do a layer style on one and copy in a heartbeat to others. Using the move tool as one's principal tool, the images can be re-sized, re-positioned individually or in groups, similarly angled if desired ...to create the layout you want. Another image can be imported similarly to use as a background and if needed ...text layers can be added where appropriate.
As you go you can simply save that as a PSD and make a copy of it and bring that in as start of the next 2 page spread. Because the images are smart objects the 'object' can be replaced. I usually replace one to keep the layer style and then delete all the other (perhaps keeping the background image) and then slide the next batch in, copy the layer styles to them and then size and reposition using the move tool and making use of the intelligent guides to properly space them. As you make different 2 page spreads and save them as PSD's, you are effectively building a library of templates or 'starting points' for other spreads. I was surprised at how easy it is.

Once all of them are done I import them into LR, select all and make virtual copies, I crop the first as a left page and the second as a right page ...repeat for all and export as jpgs ready to send to the printer. I generally make them 0.5% wider so that on the printer's software I can slide them sideways enough to perfectly line up across two pages for a perfect 'lay flat' book (unless that supplier can take the 2 page spreads,. Some don't).

If you make a collection of those spreads they can be made into a book in book module, and screenshots of them can be used for online viewing. I'll attattach an example of a 24x12 inch spread.
Do just one book like that and you will teach yourself so much and learn so much about PS that you really won't need the book module. I've even tried Fundy and prefer the control of doing it in PS. and the satisfaction of having done it myself.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Fundy or with Pixellu or even the on-line album making programs, but if you enjoy sharpening your own creativity and learning to make the most of what you already have, you may get some satisfaction from doing it in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate