• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to move/reorder panels in Lightroom in the order I use most

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would LOVE to be able to move the panels in Lightroom in the order I use them most!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
67 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this would make a nice feature for LR. I have passed it on to the LR team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking for this ever since they moved all the panels around in LR2. There are panels I never use that I would move to the bottom, and others (Like the Keyword list) that obscure everything else below them and therefore really must be at the bottom of the panel list. The LR team answer was that they moved panels to where the Newbies could understand them, and didn't want to allow people to screw that up for fear of people not understanding where their panels went... Please make this happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read to date, the chances of users being able to move panels from left to right and vice versa is a likely as seeing a pig fly. The reason being that there's a logic, even if you don't like/see it, to what goes on the left and on the right. I suspect that being able to move individual panels vertically within the same panel track is a request more likely to get a positive outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read to date, the chances of users being able to move panels from left to right and vice versa is a likely as seeing a pig fly. The reason being that there's a logic, even if you don't like/see it, to what goes on the left and on the right. I suspect that being able to move individual panels vertically within the same panel track is a request more likely to get a positive outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of buy this thinking from the team for the most part, but I'd still like to be able to choose the left panel/right panel location for the navigator and the histogram. I see very little workflow logic for any particular locations for those panels so to me, it's just a matter of managing screen real-estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of buy this thinking from the team for the most part, but I'd still like to be able to choose the left panel/right panel location for the navigator and the histogram. I see very little workflow logic for any particular locations for those panels so to me, it's just a matter of managing screen real-estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Lee. There are lots of times that I love to have the Keyword list visible at the same time as the Title and Caption. Instead I end up scrolling up and down repeatedly. I realize that the team has decided that there is a logic to where the panels are, but there logic isn't the same as my logic. I'm not saying that they're logic is wrong, only that it's different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Lee. There are lots of times that I love to have the Keyword list visible at the same time as the Title and Caption. Instead I end up scrolling up and down repeatedly. I realize that the team has decided that there is a logic to where the panels are, but there logic isn't the same as my logic. I'm not saying that they're logic is wrong, only that it's different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, you can hide panels you don't use (I'm pretty sure you know that). The keyword list is a pain, especially with flatter list.. I'd like to see something with better real estate for metadata, and I don't think movable panels will matter much with it.
Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, you can hide panels you don't use (I'm pretty sure you know that). The keyword list is a pain, especially with flatter list.. I'd like to see something with better real estate for metadata, and I don't think movable panels will matter much with it.
Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that. I open and close panels all the time, and use Solo mode a lot (although not for the right side of the Library Module). But even still the ability to have my Keywords on the left and all other Metadata on the right still makes much more sense to me. And even more importantly, the ability to move my panels where I want them rather than where someone else thinks they logically fit seems to be a no-brainer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that. I open and close panels all the time, and use Solo mode a lot (although not for the right side of the Library Module). But even still the ability to have my Keywords on the left and all other Metadata on the right still makes much more sense to me. And even more importantly, the ability to move my panels where I want them rather than where someone else thinks they logically fit seems to be a no-brainer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at that I'd rather see a psuedo module ala import for metadata work, with the option of 2 copies of the keyword list for easier hierarchy arranging in exisiting keywords (for example).
I'm not knocking the idea of dockable panels, I'm just curious as to there being better ways to achieve what we want..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was meant to be addressed to Sean Phillips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was meant to be addressed to Sean Phillips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a separate Metadata module is an interesting thought. I definitely think that there could be a better way, but I surely don't know what it is. I mean we all know that what we have now is very good, I'm just looking for even better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a separate Metadata module is an interesting thought. I definitely think that there could be a better way, but I surely don't know what it is. I mean we all know that what we have now is very good, I'm just looking for even better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah--IU'm not looking to move panels left and right, but rather up and down to move the ones i do not use lower in the list ...kinda to create a workflow that works for ME rather than the way Adobe thinks it ought to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would take this a step further; a fully customizable interface like Premiere Pro is the way to go, IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I dont care what order stuff is in: I learn where it is and use it there.

But, I sure would love to be able to relocate the panels on a secondary monitor so I could work on the images full-screen.

One thing to note: In Solo Mode, you can shift-click a section name to open a section without closing any others (Lee Jay taught me that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rob said

But, I sure would love to be able to relocate the panels on a secondary monitor so I could work on the images full-screen.

or third screen. LR is about workflow productivity, allowing workspace customization will pay big dividends for many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thumbs up to this request. Before I found this post, I had my own related request here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

To save you clicking the link, the point is this:

When in Library mode, if the 'Collections' menu on the left is closed (not currently displaying the collections), one cannot drag an image or images to the 'Collections' menu and hover to trigger the menu to open & show the collections and drop in these images. This is standard behaviour with such menus. Currently, we have to drop the image(s), go over to the 'Collections' menu , open it, then go back to the image(s) and place in the desired collection. What a bore. Would be grateful if you could fix this! Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm left-handed and feel as if I'm always working in Lightroom with my hands crossed. I would like the ability to switch the left and right module panels. Making adjustments in the development module with my left hand on the left side of the screen would be much less awkward. Right now, the software appears to be designed by and for a right-handed person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What currently bothers me the most is that in the develop module the Presets are across the screen from the actual develop settings. I'm wearing a hole in my desk swiping my mouse left and right as the workflow I follow is:

1 - Move the mouse to the left of the screen and pick the presets that get me close to what I want
2 - Move the mouse to the right of the screen to tweak what the presets have done
3 - Next image via keyboard, start back at step 1

That's a lot of moving back and forth, and on a larger monitor in fullscreen it gets old fast. It seems logical to me to have the presets and the actual develop settings the presets are modifying close to each other. I don't care where or how, just that they're close. I suppose if I used the snapshots and history more, the same would go for them. If all of these modify the develop settings, why are they so far away from the develop settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst it is great that the R & L panels are viewable/hideable and you can choose which objects to show, I would like to propose a change of thinking.
If the current objects like: 'keyword list', 'keywording', 'folders' and 'navigation' were written as 'modules', both the L & R panels could be viewed as blank canvass which you could drag & drop those modules on either side, in any order. Why? you ask. Because we don't all have the ideal large screens and so screen space can sometimes be a premium and also with considerable thought, wordlists can become lengthy and being able to 'drag' the keyword list over to the left and being able to clearly view both would be highly beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate