• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to name custom crops and have more than 5

Advisor ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to name custom crops in Lightroom. Saving them as ratios is great but one step further would be the ability to give them a relative name for certain projects or uses.Perhaps also not limit me to 5 custom ratios.

Image is not available

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
71 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea David!

My only concern with letting the number of custom crops grow is the issue we have with presets. If LR gets a better way to present presets in drop downs like this then I'm on board for removing the 5 custom limit as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Names would be a nice touch. And >5 too... (nesting and/or scroll for everything...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bigger issue than naming and number is the fact that you simply can't delete them. Custom Crop got a minimum dusting, and it needs a little polish! I'd like a larger number, I'd like to see 16x9 and 4X3 in the default crops, and the ability to delete them. Names would be the cherry on top.
Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea!

Maybe it would be possible to have the same mechanism for the crop ratios as with the metadata presets or filenaming presets, where one can add/modify/delete them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very much needed indeed. I have many clients that request different ratio's than the standard ones. To be able to save / edit those would a great timesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The case is clear and easy , simply the possibility to save numerous custom crop presets in Lightroom, that's what computers are for , remember simple number things , so we can use them quickly

Paul V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always struck me as being odd that in all other dropdown menu's in LR you have the option to save it as a named preset. The Crop dropdown is the one strangely missing out on this functionality.

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been using Lightroom since it was first released. to be able to set as many custom crop presets as i want and name them on my terms (just like any other preset) has been my number one request for Lightroom. i have so many different outputs that it's more work to keep re-entering a specific crop ratio when i need it. especially since it's usually pixel-based, so i have to work out what the crop would be in inches. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make crop ratios an option for future releases!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround for the time being, since croppage is not savable in presets either, is to maintain a set of images whose sole purpose in life is to house crop settings. Then when you want to apply a custom crop, just select the corresponding image, and copy it's settings to the clipboard, then paste on desired image(s). Klunky * kludgy, but in case it's better than nothing...

Bonus Idea:
=========
Somebody could write a plugin to assign crop "presets", e.g.:
1. save metadata
2. modify crop setting in xmp (exiftool can do this)
3. read metadata

Note: 1 & 3 are not supported by the current SDK (3.0) but can be done with a trick. And anyway this too is a kindy iffy way of doing it...

PS - I doubt I'll be writing such a plugin in the near future, unless Adobe adds better support to SDK(4).

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are still waiting for good custom crop settings in Lightroom, I know use Photo Mechanic to select my photo's en to crop them with pre -defined ( and saved!) aspect ratio's , after that I import them into Lightroom and th e crops are there as well ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get this small but much needed feature into LR 4.4!

Or in LR5 early next year 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider XmpCrop - it's a bit klunky, but gets the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered saving snapshot with these relative names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a very nice improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very much needed here. For my purposes the current defaults are useless and just get in the way. Except 1x1.

Named presets, and more than five, soon please.

BTW - thanks for a great product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please, I need this. Already started another topic before I noticed this.

Deleting custom presets might not be possible, because even if only one or two images use it, they probably reference it on database and removing a custom crop ratio would require checking the database and rules to deal with any occurence of that specific crop. Of course it could automatically revert back to original crop, but everyone would want to know, how many images in database are affected before doing it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to crop and export in many different ratios and dimensions. I would like to

(a) create a structured list of many new crop ratios and name, e.g. Client A > Product thumb

(b) Be able to crop, resize to a set dimension and export in one action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is strong on the ability to make presets for almost every function in the program. It does not, however, have one for cropping aspect ratios. Lightroom only keeps five custom ones at a time, and not necessarily the ones you would prefer to be kept.

It would be great to be able to keep and name a whole slew of cropping presets. For example, for a Facebook banner, I might name it FB Banner 851x315. As it is, I have to pretend I am going to export, pretend I am going to rename that export preset so I can view the dimensions, then cancel the export, head back into Develop module to determine the appropriate aspect ratio.

I have a plethora of presets for many features in Lightroom. To not have this in the Cropping tool is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Love Lightroom and have used it since it first came out. The ability fo make presets is wonderful, but where that falls down is in the cropping tool. Lightroom will only keep a very few Custom presets. I, for one, would like the limitless list of presets that we have with other Lightroom functions. As it is, I have to pretend I am exporting an image, right click to see what the dimensions/proportions of the export, then cancel and plug those dimensions into the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that it would be good to be able to delete and/or edit custom aspect ratios in the Develop Module (under cropping tool). Just in case other people like me made a mistake entering a ratio and now it's unusable 🙂 And, I think but am not sure, that the list is limited to 5 custom ratios. Maybe 10 would be better and more than enough.
It seems like a simple enough piece of code to write for the developers :)

Thanks
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it not sad that users have been requesting the simple addition of "more and named crop presets" since LR1.

I have to create many different sized images for multiple client web sites and have to keep a written list of these so that I can retype the ratios in every time I want to create an image that needs a considered crop.

It would be great to be able to select a preset folder name, eg Client A, and then choose the crop ratio for "web page X thumb" and "web page X large" etc.

Although I still have to repeat this exercise for the export module (which then also resizes it) but at least that has presets.

Being able to generate the crop and the export in one action, without needing to create an interim virtual copy, would also be an enormous time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm - This really would be a very helpful addition.

I've lost all hope that it will ever be implemented... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many different print products available and each one requires a little different crop. So I have plenty custom crop ratios added. WHY I cannot name them according to purpose. So many times I have had to calculate the ratio only to find that it is already on my list. So please add this simple thing.

And before anyone says I can adjust the cell size while printing, I cannot. I can't move the picture inside cell to adjust for cropping while on print module. It always zoom from center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: it would be great to be able to assign names to the custom crop aspect ratios in the Development Module. For example, instead of "2.176 x 1" I could name it "Facebook banner."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In LR, there's absolutely no possibility to edit the custom cropping
ratios. Which is already a problem that should have been fixed since a
long time. Now let's assume that the stacking mechanism managing these
custom ratios (5 entries max and first in first out management) is
corrupted and stuck. What can you do ? If you are a user with no
database management skills, nothing. Period.

Strangely enough, these settings are not stored in the preference file where they
could be manually edited but in the catalog, a SQLite database. If you
can deal with an SQLite management tool, you will be able to fix the
problem. The relevant information can be found in the table named Adobe_variablesTable, entry named Adobe_customCropAspects.

Maybe it's time for Adobe to make this feature more usable ?

Votes

Translate

Translate