• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Havent tried it yet but Thank you!!! This will be so helpful! Hopefully an official release is added soon but this will allow me to use the mobile app in the meantime 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to set it up with Rob's help & it works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got it working now, and it's excellent. Fills a very obvious gap in Lightroom Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of syncing smart collections is a major gap. As an amateur photographer, smart collections are my primary tool for grouping and viewing photos. Some of these are keyword based, however others are timeframe based and therefore quite dynamic. Lightroom mobile for me is used for two purposes, basic editing / cleaning of photos and viewing / sharing.
Basic correction .... flag photos for keep/deletion, rate and basic correction particularly when travelling. This really only works without smart collection as I have 1 collection which captures device camera roll. SLR jpegs are imported to the device and appear in this collection.Lightroom mobile does an excellent job.
However for viewing ... This a a real chore. After completing final editing / naming, it is then nessary to determine what has changed in smart collections and copying photos to the LR mobile collections.
Whilst I enjoy the functionality, given viewing photos is so important and smart collections are pivotal in providing a 'live' view of collections, I'm really not sure if there is sufficient value to continue my Adobe subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of discussions on the difficulties of recovering mistakes removing photos from Smart Collections. Given LR mobile (currently) only allows changing the flag and rating, why not set up a Smart Collection based on the flag setting and ratings which would exclude photos from your collections ? That way, photos deleted by flagging changed would appear in this other collection and could be fixed.

When LR capabilities are extended to include say managing keywords, it becomes more difficult. However, this might simply require having a 'dumb' smart collection which picks up all photo all all recent photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob - sadly it looks like your site is down? Somehow the plugin got wiped out when I upgraded to LR 6, which aggravatingly, still does not have syncing of smart collections (maybe we have to wait until LR 14), but will "keep you in business"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I waited 5 months, and now still not there in Lightroom 6, despite the chorus of people requesting this (seemingly straightforward) feature. I'm crossing my fingers for Lightroom 7.3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015 still not be implemented for this must-have feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe – we're paying for this software! Can you please finally listen to customer feedback?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use publish to a set of folders on Hard Drive and then sync those with my iphone. Not as dynamic but works just as well for smart folders as for dumb folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear the concerns about recovering from changes made in the mobile versions, if they result in the original no longer being accessible from the mobile device. My primary use case of the mobile clients is to show photos to people, as opposed to edit them. So I would like to have the option from within the mobile app to lock what's being reviewed, so there's no concerns about fat fingering a change. I currently publish folders to my hard drive and sync those to iphone/ipad, which allows me to sync smart folders, but results in the dead copy I like. But having that sync work in the background would be nice, especially given that iOS syncing isn't really that bullet proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, i just might ask for a refund within that first 30 days because I'm so disappointed it doesn't do this.

What's the point of accessing collections that aren't smart? Wouldn't, for most people, those be pretty well completed collections (ie "landscapes" or "website portfolio") and thus why the need to edit them on your phone?

Meanwhile, a smart collection is usually my work-in-progress stuff. Delayed somewhere? Edited a few newly flagged photos. That would be just brilliant.

Having mobile access to non-smart collections does nothing for me, and now I just feel bullied into subscribing to CC rather than keeping the stand-alone program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that in the new Lightroom CC, you cannot sync smart collections. That is a feature I would really like. I know it would pose a few challenges to implement but I have faith that the folks at Adobe can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a plugin that allows you to create and sync smart galleries to dum galleries that Lightroom can use.

This link used to provide a Plugin but is down at the moment

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered the syncing collection feature with LR 6. I was thrilled as it seemed a great way of offering a preview to clients through the private website link AND have them hot sync their choices to me remotely. The selection process with clients is always a hassle and a way of streamlining it would be seriously helpful to my workflow and business. HOWEVER, I MUST have the option of having my watermark on the images. While I have clients whom I trust not to download and proof and post unedited images, I have many that I don't trust. I would also like a way to pause syncing. There is a serious slowdown as it updates. I'm working on an event shoot now that started with 2500 images and I am noticing as I get closer to the end, the updating process is slow particularly as I delete images from the collection. I am on a very fast computer and internet connection too (Intel 4790k @4+Ghz).

Honestly, I really do not care at this point about LR mobile. Its really not a part of my workflow. Thus, I had never discovered this private web link and hotsyncing functionality. I shared my info in a photographer discussion group and they were unfamiliar with it too. THIS is a VERY important feature for pro photographers. Honestly when I stumbled across it, it was the first thing in LR 6 that excited me. PLEASE add it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

link doesn't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your request for watermarking won't be noticed in this topic, which is about syncing smart collections. Add your vote and option to this topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To pause syncing in LR 6, click on the identity plate in the upper-left corner and click the pause button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an absolute no brainer. I've no idea why Adobe wouldn't allow smart collections to be synced with mobile devices.

I have a smart collection for pics rated 4+ stars and I want that to be synced with my mobile so I always have my best pics with me. To me, this is such an obvious thing to do.

Come on Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2015 May 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, syncing of smart collections to LR mobile is a must feature for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a really important feature! I only use smart collections.
Please prioritize this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Smart Collections really have to be supported in Lightroom Mobile for it to be useful. Please prioritize quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to LR and really struggling to understand why the ability to sync smart collections to mobile was not already implemented. It is a bit worrying that this thread started a year ago and since then we have moved to V6 but still no resolution to this issue.

Adobe, please release this functionality urgently. It just makes sense to have it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sign me up for smart collections on LR mobile!

Votes

Translate

Translate