• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Better keyword management

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about some better support for keyword management. It's very basic now. I would like to do the following tasks:- Delete multiple keywords at once. Not all plugins do handle hierarchy keywords well and add all the keywords to the root level. It's a tedious task to delete them one by one.- Search for duplicates.- Merge keywords. With lots of tricks, it can be done, but it's so inefficient.- Import keywords from within any level in the keyword hierarchy. Now you can only import keywords to the root level.- And for now last but most important: Real external editing of the keyword list. Moving keywords around and doing real heavy reorganization is difficult in LR. I would like to have an editing option like exporting and when reimported all changes are reflected in LR.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Unfortunately, there is no way to batch-edit keywords -- it's been requested many times in the past.

"I have used the plugin Find and replace to add some IPTC data to my keywords. I don't know why but when i exported them I say that this keywords did not appear on the exported files."

You can enable the Include On Export attribute for keywords created by the Search Replace Transfer

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 167 Replies 167
167 Comments
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I noticed this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a complete window-size keywording panel - navigating the thin strip is quite tricky with the constant scrolling necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2013 Sep 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good idea, especially because the font in the keyword is rather small and cant be changed afaik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it been three years since this topic was started. I'm not optimistic that any of these suggestions will see the light of day.

What to you say Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there will be any changes in LR6? Probably not, as indicated by Adobe's nonresponse so far to any of these requests this seems to be a dead issue.

-louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, there have been very changes to the Library since LR 3 -- Adobe's attention seems focused elsewhere, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree with earlier comments.

You should be able to scroll the Keyword list while still keeping the Keywording pane in view.

This is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As discussed here https://forums.adobe.com/message/7515... I have hundreds of keywords that have somehow been defined as people when they are not. The only way to change them to "other" is a three step process for each one. Surely there should be a better way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another major release and still none of these reasonable requests have been addressed. I would be overjoyed with simply the ability to search for phrases with imbedded spaces instead of "assuming" a logical OR. Come ON Adobe. All of us photographers live in the real world and have to deal with real things that have spaces in the descriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another voice to this request. Not only is keywording and keyword management in need of a major overhall as described in this request but it is totally non-existant in LR Mobile which is the task that LR Mobile is REALLY suited for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywording is one of the things I've been hoping would be fixed/improved with every succeeding version of Lightroom, but I guess it's just not sexy enough to attract developers' attention. (Or probably not sexy enough to attract management's attention.)

I am also absolutely dying for a keyword tool where I can set standards for all new keywords like don't export 3rd level keywords or don't export synonyms or set all new "people" keywords to not export.

Another feature on my wish list is the ability to click on a photo's keyword symbol and have a popup show up with the assigned keywords - I don't always have the keyword panel open and it would be nice to not have to scroll up or down and click the keyword panel open.

Since this topic is 4 years old I don't hold old much hope for any improvements soon, but I just had to let out my frustration since I'm in the middle of keywording 1000 pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't give up, at least we got finally CMYK soft proofing (which was "technically impossible", as we were told in the years before 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an IT person with 50 years experience, and, a software engineering academic of some small standing, I despair about the failure to use standard IR and query techniques on Lightroom and many other systems and web pages that support key words and querying. Simple boolean expressions are easy to understand and easy to implement. Simple conjunctive searches that treat the key word string K1 K2 ...Kn as K1 AND K2 AND ...Kn and do not require one to nominate the filed that the Ki in are liberating. Someone at Melbourne Uni built a front end for bib/roff under unix that did this, and, I used it for years.
Right now, I don't seem to be able to make catalog wide searches on Lightroom 4. That is an awful pain.
Come on adobe, fix these things! Surely you can do better than the Open Source projects like Thunderbird that ignore problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why aren't you able to make catalog wide searches? If you select the All Photographs collection and select some search criteria, what happens? (And yes I understand the available criteria is limited, but just want to check there's nothing else going wrong here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

over 4 years and next to nothing happend.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobes focus is on hooking people to the cloud.. making money without doing something in return.

once you are in the cloud you have to pay anyway....

and don ́t get me started with the unusable beta features we get every 6 month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah well... get used to it.

until adobe gets real competition they will do nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 2015 also.... but hey you get crappy mobile support now.

i have yet to find someone who uses the mobile app for something productive.....

it ́s a PITA to use LR mobile on a tablet.

but hey adobe maybe gets some instagram user ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a book feature nobody with a clue will use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add LR5 and LR6...... next to nothing happend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no reason.... adobe is just laughing at people thinking this forum has any influence on decisions made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to spam the forum Tanja - that'll just get your posts deleted. This forum DOES have an influence over which features are added - from memory, the top 3 major features were all included in the latest release. If you want to get some movement on this topic, feel free to drum up extra votes among other Lightroom users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywording: Provide a way to mass change keyword attributes across multiple keywords at a time. For example, highlight several Kewords using the Shift or Ctrl keys, then right click one of them and check or uncheck one or more of the checkboxes. The ones changed will be changed in all highlighted Keywords and untouched check boxes will be left alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this would also be a great feature! Tired of having to use external tools or use lots of valuable time taking care of these basic tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.. Yes, somehow I missed that, thanks Victoria.. however, my complaint about Boolean searches still stands!

Votes

Translate

Translate