• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable Zoom with Crop Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been suggested, but it would be nice if the zoom feature in Lightroom 4 could be enabled while using the crop tool to make refined adjustments to the crop area. At present, there is only a clumsy work-around using the secondary display for refined crop adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Mentor ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How time flies these days... i think Lightroom might be the only image editor around which doesn't allow users to crop while zooming? 
Who does this lack of a standard feature benefit? Is there a large group of users whose workflow would be harmed by allowing them to zoom while cropping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@earth_oliver And the fact that you can zoom while cropping on the mobile version... and Camera Raw for Photoshop... which is the same damn thing!!! is just a slap in the face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how i wish that Classic cropped by default, but with the option to also zoom in further to check the edges of the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yessssss (!).........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh, they did it! You can finally zoom in while cropping, just like every other application in existence!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just kidding. We're still stuck in the dark ages and can't zoom while cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha!! Nice one, Earth - you got me here. Thought you were losing it actually; this "feature request" is only, just about nine years old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other reality is, that the circle of my well known photographers is irritated by missing this feature but they never mention it online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wahrmut_sobainsky give them the link to this thread and tell them to come and vote!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to suggest a new feature to the Lightroom Classic cropping tool.

The existing crop tool does not allow for an exact pixel dimension crop, everything is based on ratio. Would it be possible to add a pixel crop to the tool?

Comparable to functionality in Photoshop, maybe even more.

If I have an image and I want to make crop at exact pixel dimensions, when I initiate a crop, there is no feedback on the pixel dimensions of the crop window in real time. Photoshop will display the crop dimensions in pixels next to the mouse curser, assuming the ruler is set to pixels. It would be even nicer if one could simply have a dialog that allow you to enter the pixel dimension in the X & Y dimensions and the tool would just size the window to those dimensions.

In LR Classic, it's kind of hit and miss. I create a crop and then have to look at the cropped dimensions after the crop in the Info display. It usually requires more than one attempt to get the crop exactly on.

As it stands now, I have to export the file to photoshop, and do the cropping there, where it reports the pixel dimensions on the screen in real time. Once I have the cropped defined, I save that image using save-as, and then exit without saving the file in photoshop. It's all a bit cumbersome. It would be nice to be able to do that in Lightroom Classic, as I could create virtual images of the crop and export those over and over again when needed.

Thanks for any consideration you can give to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the other, other reality is that everyone who needs to zoom while cropping long ago gave up on using Lr to process their images since it's missing this essential component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Gary_Gray

great suggestion! I like the way a competitor has done it, showing you the pixels dims based on output scaling, but also includes physical dims based on ppi. These are tools that are needed every day by professionals. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this "idea," but in my mind, it's more of a bug.

In Lr Classic, we're unable to zoom while cropping. Speaking as an imaging professional, who has spent the past 30 years of my life cropping countless hundreds of thousands of images, seen by billions and billions of eyes, the absence of zooming while cropping in Lightroom makes absolutely no sense. Watch any professional use Ps, C1, or any other imaging app to crop an image for any use and you'll see how essential zooming while cropping is. 

Why Adobe has chosen to not include this in an application with a Print module is anyone's guess. Cropping to the pixel when creating prints is 100% essential, yet we're unable to do so in Lightroom Classic. 

And have you ever tried to crop far into an image? The behavior of Classic is the opposite of what's needed when cropping out a large % of an image. Rather than zooming in for a better view when cropping, Classic instead will zoom out to the entire canvas! On what planet does that make any sense?

Fifteen years ago, when Lightroom was first released, we needed to be able to zoom while cropping. Fifteen years later, we still need to be able to zoom while cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Thanks. I searched for that exact thread, but it didn't appear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this already exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! Fifteen years of app development and we still can't zoom in while cropping.
I think Lightroom might be the only Adobe app that doesn't have this feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving from an ACR to a Lightroom workflow (at least I'm trying to ..) and so far I've been adapting well. But I just came across something that has me wondering if I'm missing a hidden feature..

In ACR I can zoom in to see the edges of what I'm cropping and LrC does not seem to have any option to zoom during cropping in the same way that ACR can. I do a fair bit of fine art reproduction and getting the crop right to the edge of a canvas is hard to see without getting in close. I do have a second monitor and see that I'm able to view an enlarged preview while cropping, and that helps a lot. I can also jump into ACR with the images to do the cropping there and then update the previews when back in LrC. But being able to zoom into 100% while cropping in LrC would be the best solution  ... if it existed. There are reasons I need to crop in the Raw processor, so doing it in PS isn't an option.

Thank you,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russell!

Good news is that you are not missing anything. Bad news is that you can't crop and zoom in LrC. Your two work arounds are probably the most straightforward if you need precise cropping IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Chris. I'm glad to hear that I can stop searching 🙂

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come this idea/feature request has no status and it's still in limbo !

First we need it second t's really an industry standard-...Lr is not better without this basic behavior!

At this point is logical to ask: Adobe, what is the technical challenge here, what is preventing us to have it in Lr ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more... For instagram I often crop on my Iphone, just zooming in and taking a screenshot. It's actually a very intuitive way of cropping.

I recently bought a Leica Q2, a 28mm 60mp camera. It's high resolution allows you to crop your shots to a focal length of 80mm. Unfortunately with the current crop tools it's very hard to get a feel of what you doing, adjusting the handles is a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella This feature request has been in limbo since v1 in 2007. At this point, i think that Adobe just doesn't want to admit that they were wrong about cropping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate