• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable Zoom with Crop Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been suggested, but it would be nice if the zoom feature in Lightroom 4 could be enabled while using the crop tool to make refined adjustments to the crop area. At present, there is only a clumsy work-around using the secondary display for refined crop adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 121 Replies 121
121 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support this idea. I have finally got so good gear that I can make usable crops which are sometimes only 20-30% of the full image. Those crops are thumbnail-sized in the the crop tool because of the large, unused area surrounding them, and it is very difficult to get a good view of the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this feature would be really helpful.

I get by with the current coarse approach but sometimes it requires multiple attempts to get the crop right.

Being able to zoom in (any level between "Fit' and "1:1" would be useful, not just "1:1", please).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the tricky/clumsy crop tool is not easy to use in an exact way.

Would love it if I could zoom in to fine-tune the edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!
I am a professional photographer from İstanbul/Turkey. I am using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and am in love with her! My suggestion is about a Loupe that appears while cropping. Some of my customers are art galleries and I shoot photos, paintings, etc. While cropping to the edges of paintings and stuff a loupe would be very usefull to see the edge of the painting zoomed in, so I can see exactly what I am leaving outside the cropbox.

Thank you very much

Murat Ertürk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4, angle tool can only be used at full scale, making it, often, difficult to place the tool's end points. I am proposing that the zoom view tool be active when using the angle tool so that an end can be picked or the view zoomed and then a point can be placed and then pan or change zoom scale to get to the place for the second angle tool point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a huge improvement to be able to use the "Straighten Tool" with the image zoomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely need crop zoom. I'm shooting hyperlapse which requires the aligning hundreds of photos using crop and you need to see exactly where the grid falls on each frame in order for the sequence to render smoothly...I'm am going blind without being able to crop zoom;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Lightroom and use it daily. There are a couple of features or fixes I would like to see in an upcoming release or patch. In my commercial work, I need the ability to crop images at the single pixel level. With all versions of lightroom, I have only been able to get lightroom to crop at a granularity of 7 pixels. This is very frustrating as I cannot crop to the exactness that I need for my clients.

In addition, or maybe related to this, when I enter crop mode the zoom level is automatically changed to fit the entire image of the viewing panel. This also makes it extremely difficult to get accurate crop (and straightening) results.

To give you an example of how frustrating this has become, I have created a short video for your convenience:

http://screencast.com/t/lB4DBWkQe

You are doing great work and each one is always better than the last. Please address these two issues as soon as you can. Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wil Bloodworth wrote:
|> "In my commercial work, I need the ability to crop images at the single pixel level."

XmpCrop is the only way I know to do that in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The moderator (Rikk) is having difficulties understanding "why" this feature is necessary so I will again attempt to explain further...

Some of our clients have very detailed products that must be cropped very precisely (at the pixel level). LR does not have the ability to do precise crops.

For example, in the video, I showed a piece of moulding. These mouldings are shot at a high resolution at very close range and no part of the edges of the frames can be cut off. With the granularity (or lack thereof) of LR's cropping feature, these edges can be cut off at times.

With the ability to zoom in to where the screen resolution matches the image resolution (i.e. 1:1), the user interface controls would then allow the user to crop images at the necessary level.

Hopefully, that helps explain why the feature is being requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob! I'll go take a look! Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that won't work either. It's a nice tool but doesn't do what I need. I need the ability to crop the same way LR does today... just while zoomed to the 1:1 level. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right - got your point: makes exact crop sizes but doesn't help with need to be zoomed in for positioning. hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I'm just piling on the thousands of other requests for this, but it would be SO SO AWESOME if Lightroom provided the capability to zoom in while cropping to allow for precision crops. It's really frustrating - not to mention inefficient - to have to take a photo into Photoshop for something so basic as cropping. PLEASE, PLEASE help us!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see pixel-resolution crop increments (and desensitized mouse), maybe if Alt key pressed or something, like point curves - so one can easily fine tune to exact crop desired once in the ball park.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very disappointed that cropping in zoom mode is still impossible with LR CC!
ACR is able since I can remember (years ago) but LR is still standing still.
It's a mess using the angle tool for a straight horizon in landscape photography if it's not possible to crop pixel precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started my trial 30 days -- second photo I edited -- this very limited functionality is not encouraging at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've requested this before and I still very much want it. Cropping large megapixel images in the fit-to-window view in Develop is way too limiting and inexact. We need cropping while zoomed. I'd also like the ability to nudge the sides of the crop in 1-pixel increments. Say to click on the right handle of crop tool so it is selected. Use arrow keys to increase or decrease the right edge of crop by 1 pixel or hold down shift and change by 10 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to stress that I really need this, too. Everyday I try to make precision crops in LRCC and it is very frustrating not to be able to get the exact crop I want. Would love if it was done so that each of the four handles could be nudged with arrow keys 1 pixel (10pixels with modifier key). That same functionality would be welcome in PS CC as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow the user to zoom when
cropping an image for accurate edges and horizons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow the user to zoom when
cropping an image for accurate edges and horizons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the ability to crop while 'zoomed in' on an image in Lightroom.

An example of when this feature/ability would be extremely useful is when working with hires negative scans. One image containing many smaller images than need to be separated out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very good lock the zoom when use the crop tool.for example I work in 1: 8 or 1:16 zoom out, and when I use the crop tool, the zoom goes to fit screen.

I develop at hundred of photos, and if I use 1:8 zoom, the workflow goes better and have great performance. why not lock this zoom when we use re crop or reframing?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Googled this function as I was sure this was a function and I had not learned enough LR. Why can't LR just crop the zoomed in, panned shot? Seems like that would be simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or at least show a magnification of the edge currently being dragged as it is done with the guided transform tool. And while you are at it: Adding a magnified window to the straighten tool would be a real treat. There's not always a looong line to straighten the image by...

Votes

Translate

Translate