• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export hangs indefinitely with corrupt files rather than producing an error message

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When LR tries to export a photo that's corrupt, the export hangs and never completes. It should produce an error message instead.

Worse, there isn't a way for a plugin to detect and recover gracefully. The call to rendition:waitForRender() will never return, even after the user cancels the corresponding task in the progress bar. Several of my plugins rely on exporting photos, e.g. Any Vision.

To reproduce on LR 13.2 / Mac OS 14.4.1:

1. Download this tiny catalog:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/48dtex70opjseeyhsm0hn/corrupt-bug.2024.04.25.zip?rlkey=hrf6fsoogaklqw...

2. Copy the script "corrupt-bug.lua" from the catalog folder into the Scripts subfolder of the Lightroom settings folder.

3. Start LR.

4. Select the one photo and do File > Export, exporting it as a JPEG.  Observe that the export never completes, with the progress bar showing:

johnrellis_0-1714077369284.png

Also observe that the following error appears when LR is run from Terminal with the -traceback switch:

2024-04-25 18:36:11.364 Adobe Lightroom Classic[91358:6685632] openNegative: <AgErrorID>dng_error_bad_format</AgErrorID>

5. Restart LR.

6. Select the one photo and do Scripts > corrupt-bug. Observe that the export initiated by the script never completes (it should display a message when it does):

johnrellis_1-1714077498099.png

7. Cancel both export tasks in the progress bar by clicking their "x".  Observe that no dialog is displayed by the script, indicating that the call to rendition:waitForRender() has never returned, even though the export has been cancelled.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

I've asked the team to comment on this as it may not be a bug per se' but an enhancement request. If they respond otherwise, I will move it back to bugs. 

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont need an attidude I need HELP.

Sorry, but I am about to give a bit of attitude. After that I will create a seperate reply that might be mre helpful. At any rate...

Can you please use the tools within Windows, or perhaps a third party application, to create screenshots. Just taking a picture with perhaps a smartphone just does not cut it.

see:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i choose all of the photos seperatly theres like 12 photos that can be exported, but other 207 wont export. loading just stays put. 

It appears from at least one screenshot that your photos and very likely your catalog is on your C drive. Can you verify the following:

• Photos on C drive
  • Catalog on C drive

Not that C drive is a issue, But wondering about available free space. As such, I have this question:

• that catalog, the drive it is in, how much free space in percent? Looking for at least 20% some say 25%

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second question.

That Export that failed. Where were you importing to?

Can you share a screenshot of your Export Dialog?

Export.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this issue as well. It hangs indefinitely when trying to export, and when trying to export metadata I get "Could not write metadata. Unknown file I/O error".

I'm on Lightroom Classic v 13.5

Another piece of info is it only happened with 38 out of 89 photos that I have in a collection, which collects photos from three different directories. It's happening to photos in both JPG and ARW format.

I've tried all of the solutions in this thread to no avail. The photos were located on an external SSD, but I moved them to a different SSD and pointed Lightroom to the new location and tried again, which didn't work. I also moved them to my Macbook's HD and tried from there, and that didn't work either.

The one thing that has partially worked is to copy the files to a new directory and import that new directory into Lightroom. These photos can be successfully exported. Since these will be new photos to Lightroom, you'll need to redo all of your edits on them.

Hope this info helps folks and devs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one more workaround: If you apply Denoise with AI to your photo, Lightroom creates a new file for that enhanced photo. You should then be able to export this enhanced photo without issue. This should save you from needing to move your files around and you can also keep your previous edits.

This workaround just won't work on JPG since the Denoise feature isn't available for that format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried all solutions here no help. I took every pic sepertlatly to photoshop and exported from there. All the really darkparts had some problems. Otherwise thats the only thing I was able to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing an issue with Lightroom Classic 2024 where photo exports stop prematurely. The process starts normally, but after exporting a few images, Lightroom either freezes or the export process fails without completing.

I posted a video to see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to LR 13, when Export encountered an error exporting a file (e.g. the file had been corrupted due to hardware failure), LR would export the remaining files and then show an error dialog listing the files that encountered errors.  But LR 13 broke that, and now the Export will just hang.  Inexplicably, Adobe doesn't consider this a bug .

Looking at your screen recording, this may be happening to you. You'll have to do trial and error, selecting small numbers of files at a time, to see if there is a particular file or files that consistently fails to export. Once you've identified that file, select it and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. If you get an error, post a full-resolution screenshot (not a cellphone pic) of the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2024 Sep 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@emiova, your screenshot shows that LR has crashed, not frozen. That's probably unrelated to this bug report, in which LR export hangs, though the rest of LR keeps operating normally.

When asked, did  you submit the crash report to Adobe, using the email address associated with your Creative Cloud account?

Votes

Translate

Translate