Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: GPS track limited to 50.000 points

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In the current version of Lightroom Classic, the GPS track used to geolocate the photos is limited to 50.000 points. It is not enough in 21e century. The modern watches are able to take the GPS position every seconds. In that case 50.000 points correspond to 14 hours only ! For the modern outdoor endurance activities like ultra-trail running, mountaineering and even long hikes it is not sufficient.

Please, extend the Lightroom Classic capacity in order to accept at least 40 hours of such a activity (UTMB like ultra-trail) = 150.000 GPS points.

BR, Maciek

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/Edited/Replaced/

I should have researched first, my bad.

A limit in Geo tracking points brought into LrC from GPS enabled devices, in this case a Smart Phone.

As noted in this unsolved posting:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/how-to-solve-the-max-tracklog-points-50-000-issue.3...

Look at this Plug-in:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m referring to my Garmin watch (Fenix 7) GPS track which I’m trying to import into Ligthroom (Map -> Load Tracklog). Lightroom truncate the Garmin GPS tracklog of 21 hours of activity to 50.000 points with the message : “Maximum track size reached. One track has been truncated to 50 000 points.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plugging you refer to doesn’t help.

It is a Ligthroom limitation which has no sense in the 21e century.

And I’m just kindly asking Lightroom developers to lift this limitation in order to make Ligthroom better !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that there should be no practical limit (except total memory available to LR).  

While waiting for Adobe to implement this (which could be a very long time), as a workaround you could use the well-supported (and free) utility GPSBabel.  Filter the track to remove points that are closer than, say, 3 meters or are separated in time by less than, say, 5 seconds.  That will let you import these larger tracklogs while sacrificing little in meaningful data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that a limit should not be necessary but having a point every second even during running is unnecessary.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with Garmin watch configured to take one GPS point only when direction change, I’m limited to about 17 hours. I cannot upload a complete track of Swiss Peaks 100k. Imagine the track of UTMB (100 miles) or Tor de Géants (330 km) !!! Unfortunately, I’m not Kilian Jornet, I can’t run UTMB under 20 hours !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Does anyone know how to fix this problem

"Maximum points reached...will be capped at 50,000 points"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Link is not not working....

Google limits the use of the free version by some AVI (?).  Maybe, Adobe could work with Open Street Map/OsmAnd? If they want to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This Link is not not working...."

Fixed, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LR doesn't use the free Google Maps -- Adobe licenses the Google Maps Platform API.  To display a track log, LR calls the API to draw a polyline (path).  The API documentation doesn't mention any limit on the number of points in a polyline.

The free Google Maps does limit loaded GPX tracklogs to 50K points and 5 MB.  But you can create multiple layers, each with imported track logs of 50K points. I don't know if there's a maximum number of layers, but I've tested 8 layers with 50K points each. That demonstrates that the underlying Google Maps API can display polylines with at least 400K points.

It's LR, not Google, that's imposing the limit of 50K points when you load a track log.  You can see that by turning off the computer's network access and loading a track log of more than 50K points. LR will display the error, "Maximum track size reached / One track has been truncated to 50,000 points."

Votes

Translate

Translate