• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lasso Tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping that the Adobe developers are monitoring this forum, because it would be a huge help to me, if there were a lasso tool (magnetic and polygonal) in Lightroom, to select areas for broad adjustments, such as those available with the adjustment brush.  Sometimes, it's just too tedious to use brush strokes, and a lasso would make selecting the area to be affected so much easier.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Check out the new object select features in Lightroom Classic 12 - not exactly what you might have asked for but should serve your needs nicely!

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
55 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with being able to do a freeform mask, as well, for odd shapes where an oval or a rectangle do not apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the new object select features in Lightroom Classic 12 - not exactly what you might have asked for but should serve your needs nicely!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will the object select feature be released in Camera Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's release: 15.0

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will give it a try with tomorrow's photo shoot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the object select mask as we speak, and it does the job! Thanks for adding it to Camera RAW. The only missing thing in the mask tools is a fully featured HSL Panel. Hopefully, that will be added in a future release! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about masking with paths (like in After Effects or Photoshop), to get clean and straight masks for e.g. architecture? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two options for selecting polygonal regions:

1. Draw straight lines with the Brush mask:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-lasso-tool/idc-p/12939177#M15356

2. Use the new Object masks to select the region (often works well with regions with clean edges, but like all AI algorithms, sometimes misses).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very useful to have selection tools in LR like the ones in PS.

If I was to pick just one to have it would be the polygonal lasso tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Select Object tool in Masking? The second option allows you to drag a box around an object for automatic selection. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean

Thanks for the suggestion but I want to be able to select and limit edits to a specific defined area.  Currently I switch to PS to do this and that's fine but it would be great to be able to do that in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to be able to select and limit edits to a specific defined area."

To better help Adobe understand why you're asking for this, perhaps you could explain why the Object mask and other mask tools aren't satisfactory.  Including an example photo would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time for that but basically the object mask lacks the precision that the polygonal lasso provides.  It's just a suggestion - I'll leave it up to Adobe.  In the meantime I just switch to PS and that's the step in the workflow I'm looking to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

라이트룸 클래식 사용자 입니다.

추후 라이트룸 클래식 업데이트에 polygonal lasso 기능을 업데이트 해줄수는 없을까요?

라이트룸 클래식의 다양한 마스킹 툴을 사용중이지만 정교한 경계면을 나누기에는 아직 많이 부족합니다.

때문에 늘 포토샵과 병행하여 작업하는데 너무 불편합니다.

그리고 셀렉트된 마스킹 영역에서 hsl 기능을 사용할수있게 해주셨으면 합니다.

제 의견이 추후 업데이트에 피드백이 되었으면 합니다.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of interior phtography and I also do a lot of masking which I have to do in Photoshop because the masking tools available in Lightromm still isn't precise enough for detailed work. Also having to constantly export my raw files either as tif's or PSD's adds considerable to the storing space required.

Therfore I would like to suggest a combined masking tool that work like something in between the lasso tool and the pen tool in Photoshop, so I would be able to draw both straight and curved bezier curve masks. As far as I assume this doesn't change the way masking would work internaly inside Lightroom but only in the way the mask is drawn.

Thanks, Steen Knarberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe I never saw this before .... great feature for masking windows. Thank You. Now we just need to get an AI masking tool for windows and then productivity starts to really move. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I photograph artwork professionally and it would be extremely helpful to have mask drawing options similar to those in Photoshop, such as rectangular marquee, and lasso. The auto subject and object masks will often fail when the edge of a painting is too close to the background colour. Or if there's a figure in the painting the mask will select the figure or object within the artwork. Creating simple, hard edged square or lasso masks would be very helpful. If blur could be added that would also be fantastic. I photograph 2-3000 artworks a month. Anything helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create hard straight edges by clicking a start point and shift clicking an end point. The feather would need to be off. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's more detail about Sean's suggestion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-lasso-tool/idc-p/12939177#M15356

Not as convenient as a true polygonal selection, but faster than not using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am loving the new updates and all of the amazing masking features, but I would LOVE to see your basic polygonal lasso selection tool added.

I do a lot of real estate photography and spend a disproportionate amount of time selecting windows. The object selection tools are pretty good, but it would be great to have other options (I spend a fair amount of time refining mask edges around windowsills/blinds/etc).
Other architectural photographers and designers would benefit from the feature as well.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@studiocopan I do the same.  In the absence of a polygonal lasso selection tool, I have found that the object selection combined with luminosity works pretty well for windows. Using the brush tool for straight line add or subtract helps also.  It's not perfect though and can be quite time-consuming, but that's my work-around.  Can always switch in PS too if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for moving my query to this question about masking. The suggested technique of using a small brush with various combinations of Auto Masking and shift clicking doesn't work for me. Very often I am photographing an almost white artwork against a white wall, so none of the automatic object selection or luminance tools work,  and shift clicking a small brush isn't really accurate enough (also, it still obliges you to carefully fill in the interior space with a larger brush - way too much time needed). This tool has existed in Photoshop since the beginning of photoshop in the 90s, not sure why it is so hard to include in Lightroom.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paul from Montreal Yup!!! It sure would be nice and would make LR masking hugely powerful. Everything else is just a workaround. I hope Adobe is working on this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Lightroom Classic get polygonal masks? It would make life so much easier to select geometric elements like doors, windows, and many other objects. I don't think it is such a hard implementation

Votes

Translate

Translate