• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Local adjustments and crops don't copy or work in presets applied to rotated photos

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying Radial filter effect, between portrait format images in Ligthroom5, that were taken with opposite camera rotation (one rotated clokwise, other counterclockwise) results the effect appears on mirrored position. lightroom 5.7.1 Mac v

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

This bug has been partially fixed in LR 10.2, for crops, Graduated Filters, and Adjustment Brushes:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-10-bug-copysync-crop-and-spot-removal-wrong-results-at-portrait-photos/5f99d47b6880ca356d037e33 

Before pasting or syncing the crop and local adjustment settings, select the target photo(s) and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Or set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP

Votes

Translate

Translate
51 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bela,
Can you post to a snapshot to explain the issue. Its not fully clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made two portrait format pictures  of myself in mirror to demonstrate the issue.  (See Screenshot 1 and two ).As you see on first photo I rotated camera 90 degree CCW (so the grip is up)

on the next I hold camera rotated 90 degree CW (so the grip is down.)  
In Lightroom I made a radial filter  on picture one with exposure +1.2 value to bottom right of the picture (on my t-shirt). Then I copied the settings (included Radial filter) and paste to second picture . As you can see, the filter appears at the upper left (where the tulips are). As I think it about (I'm not software expert or programer at all) this can couse the issue:The cameras position sensor takes data to exif info  about the rotation of camera. This data refers which corner of the picture is bottom left (for istance) correlate to the bitmap of the file. As this data applied  all two pictures appears in correct position when wieving .  But -for some reason- this data is not applied, when position related modifications -are pasted from one picture to another. An addition: After my first post, I tested, that the same issue happens with brush filters, but  with graduated filter NOT. See screenshot 3 and 4.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going on with this idea: can it be true that the radial filter and brush filter is"bitmap related"  in lightroom, while graduated filter is " frame related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I experienced, when graduated filter mask is copied from LANDSCAPE format image to an other  with PORTRAIT format, the mask keeps its position fixed to the frame relative to the image borders. While radial filter and brush mask rotates with image, following the camera rotation direction (exactly the bitmap). Of course there is not much sense, to copy masks without changing position between different formats, as they must be different compositions, BUT two following  portrait format image can be the same composition, while photographer changed camera rotation between shots. So lightroom should apply the "camera rotation exif info" when pasting masks. ...naturaly, to perform this, it should compare this infos between two pictures....for this, copy settings command should copy the rotation info too, and paste command should perform comparison. If they are the same, masks can keep positions correlate to the bitmap, if they are opposite, masks should be rotated 180 degree.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can duplicate your issue using the Sync settings as well with Lightroom 6.10. I will file a bug on it. Thanks for the information. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I found another bug with the Radial Filter control.

The below image has Spot Removal, Radial Filter, Adjustment Brush, and Graduated Filter applied (from Left to Right). The Crop Tool Angle control moves ALL of the Local controls with the image. The Transform Rotate control moves all of the Local controls except the Radial Filter. All of the Local Controls should remain fixed to their relative image bitmap position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After review: This behavior is as-designed (has been this way since local corrections were first introduced in Lr 2).  Essentially, copy/pasting and apply presets containing local corrections (including spot removal) across images with different orientations is not officially supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

The issue that Todd Shaner added concerning the different behavior of the tools when rotating the image with the Crop Angle Tool and Transform Rotate I am sure is Not as-designed behavior and still is a problem in 8.1.  What is the status of the issue Todd has shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different than OP

Please reference the new conversation here: Lightroom Classic CC: Radial Filters on Rotated Images are not rotated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've forked Todd's post (different than the OP issue) to a new thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk for the update.  Hope the New Year is going great for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem while copying the spot removal tool from one portrait image to another.

As a quick summary of my setup, I currently have .cr2 files from my Canon 70D in a folder along with .jpg files that I generated from the .cr2 files (separate from Adobe).  I made some edits to the .jpg with respect to spot removal but I'd like to copy them to the .cr2 in Lightroom.

Well, this has yet to happen.  I can copy and paste it but as you tell from the attached images, the spot removal points end up rotating 90 degrees.  Copying spot removal in my landscape photos is perfectly fine but I can't figure out how to do it in the portrait photos.  I've rotated the source but not the destination photo (in Lightroom), rotated the destination and not the source, rotated both photos, etc.  The result is the same every time.

Both Photos appear to be rotated the same in Windows Explorer so I would think the reference for the spot removal points would be the same as well.  Can't Lightroom just sense the orientation and act accordingly?

Currently running Lightroom Classic 8.4.  Any help is appreciated.  If it was only a few photos then I would just redo my work but it's quite a few hundred and if this truly is a bug then it should be fixed.

Lightroom Classic version: 8.4 [ 201908011719-03751b60 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18362
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3.7 GHz
Built-in memory: 32715.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32715.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1166.3 MB (3.5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1423.8 MB
GDI objects count: 629
USER objects count: 2040
Process handles count: 1762
Memory cache size: 62.7MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 11.4 [ 273 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 201MB / 16357MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 202MB / 32715MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 120 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2048x1152
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (25.21.14.1967)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite straightforward to support copying of local adjustments between different orientations (e.g. from a raw rotated to portrait to a TIFF created from that raw by Photoshop).   My Any Crop plugin does this for crops with a small amount of code, and the same method would work for local adjustments.

Currently, LR represents the coordinates of local adjustments and crops with values in [0..1], where (0, 0) represents the upper-left corner of the underlying image before any orientation (rotation and flipping) has been applied.  Call this coordinate system the underlying-pixels coordinates. 

When LR copies adjustments and crops, it copies the underlying-pixels coordinates of the adjustments. If the source and target images have different orientations, e.g. a raw rotated to portrait (orientation 90 degrees clockwise) and a TIFF created from that raw (orientation 0 degrees), then the adjustments get placed incorrectly on the target image.

When copying adjustments, LR should translate the underlying-pixel coordinates of the adjustments in the source image to visible-pixels coordinates, the coordinates relative to how the source image appears after its orientation has been applied. Then it should translate those visible-pixel coordinates to the underlying-pixel coordinates of the target image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an intermittent bug with LR. Has been for ages. I routinely do composites of two shots, shot off tripod. I crop one, paste settings to the other, select both and open as layers in PS and guess what? They're cropped differently, making the composite impossible. So I have to do all my cropping in PS because LR is too buggy. What can you do about it? Nothing. Find a workaround. Situation normal:-|

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom (latest CC release, 2015.3), I have an original raw image and a TIFF file of that image that has been processed in Photoshop. They are both exactly the same size in pixels.

When I crop one of the images and sync that crop to the other one, the crop *does not match*—be it with auto sync or manual sync. The image that gets synced ends up with a tighter crop for no apparent reason.

This means I have to try to match the two crops manually by fiddling with the crop rectangle (which is a waste of time and can't even be accomplished with perfection because it is nowhere near precise enough).

I remember cropping multiple images like this some time in the past (with previous versions of Lightroom) without issue, so it's a bug that has been introduced at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue for several versions. I was hoping the new Classic update would fix but it is still there.   Copying and pasting adjustments from or to an HDR image from a standard image often results in crops and local adjustments being applied in the wrong place. Seems like a rotation may be part of the issue.  Very annoying and time consuming to work around.  Please fix!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug strikes both crops and local adjustments (both use the same internal representation of image coordinates). To reproduce in LR 7.0.1:

1. Select a raw landscape photo and rotate it to portrait.

2. Select the photo and export it back to the catalog as a JPEG:

3. Go to Develop and crop the JPEG to have a long narrow vertical crop.  With the local adjustment brush set to Exposure = 4 and paint a vertical stripe:

4. Select the JPEG and do Photo > Develop Settings > Copy Settings and check only Local Adjustments and Crop.  Select the raw and do Photo > Develop Settings > Paste Settings.  Note that the crop and local adjustment don't occur on the raw in the same place as on the JPEG:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Update: This bug occurs for both crops and local adjustments.  See this post for a simple recipe to reproduce:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-cc-crop-syncing?topic-reply-list[se...
- John Ellis.]

Apple Mac, El Capitan, Latest LIghtroom CC release.
Workflow for Problem:

• Original image edited in LR CC and cropped to 10x8.
  • Virtual copy made for reference
  • Revert original image to uncropped
  • Round trip original LR edit to latest Photoshop CC
  • Return to LR CC after saving [same problem as TIFF or PSD]
  • Using the virtual copy as the source, sync the crop to the image returned from Photoshop
  • RESULT - the crop doesn't match.
Cache purged, preferences reset. Not a large catalogue, only 350 images. Working on an internal drive.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick description of problem:
Apply a graduated filter at 0 degrees to a horizontally oriented photograph.
Save as preset or copy.
Now use preset or paste copy to a vertically oriented photograph.

Problem: The graduated filter changes orientation 90 degrees.

Anyone else experiencing?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom version 7.3, grad filter presets no longer rotate when switched from vertical to horizontal images and vice versa. This is a huge problem for me a fix would asap would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else having this issue? Any quick fixes out there?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom Classic 7.3: Graduated Filter Orientation Problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Lightroom Classic CC version 7.3 presets with a graduated filter now rotate depending on the orientation of the image.

For example. If I create a preset with a grad filter coming from the top of a horizontal image and apply it to a vertical image  the grad filter will come from the side instead of the top. This makes presets that utilize a grad filter pretty much useless and inconstant. Can we please get this issue fixed by the next release of Lightroom?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the merged thread:

I observe screwy but different results:

1. Open a raw in Develop.

2. Do Edit In Adobe Photoshop CC 2018.

3. In PS, do File > Save As, Format: Photoshop. Library thumbnails look like:

4. In LR, open the PSD in Develop.

5. Use the Adjustment Brush with Exposure = -4 to put a mark (the hand-drawn letters "UR") in the upper-right corner.

6. Do Rotate Right.

7. Do Edit In Adobe Photoshop CC 2018, Edit Original.  

8. In PS, do File > Save.

9. Observe the PSD's thumbnail preview in Library is incorrectly rotated from the original raw 180 degrees, with the mark added by the adjustment brush still in the lower-right corner:

10. Open the PSD in Develop and observe that it still appears correctly as it did after step 6:

11. In Library, select the PSD and do Library > Build 1:1 Previews. The thumbnail remains unchanged.

12. Export the PSD to a JPEG and observe that the exported JPEG looks like the PSD thumbnail in step 9.

13. Restart LR. 

14. Observe that the PSD thumbnail is now correctly rotated right 90 degrees from the original, with the adjustment-brush mark incorrectly in the upper-right corner:

15. Export the PSD to a JPEG and observe that the JPEG looks like the thumbnail in step 14.

16. Open the PSD in Develop and observe that it incorrectly looks like the thumbnail in step 14:

LR 7.5 / Mac 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic, Camera Raw, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. You can read more about the updates here.

Thank you for your patience. 

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smit and Rikk, 

The problems reported here with copying local adjustments and crops between photos of different rotations still exist in LR 9.2:

- radial filters (the first post)

- adjustment-brush settings and crops

- spot removal

- graduated filters

I can't find a report here that was addressed by LR 9.2.  So I changed this topic from Solved to In Progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate