• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Masking) Force presets to update the AI masks on import!

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this in the discussion forum to see if anyone knew of a way to make this happen... and I'm guessing it's just not possible, so I'm posting here as a request.  🙂 
----
I'm totally loving the use of AI masks to select subject and "make it pop" ... so I now have a preset which changes the SUBJECT and also inverts/duplicates the mask and dims the BACKGROUND.

Rather than do this for each image one at a time, I want to apply this AI effect, in bulk, to ALL my images at import time and get the previews generated while I'm away from the computer.    (it's faster/easier to remove or alter the mask than to add it!)

TODAY'S MISSING FEATURE:  it seems that my presets don't actually execute the AI analysis at import time.  All the images say "your AI masks need to be updated".  As a result, this is now a 3-step process where each step takes minutes:
- import
- select all, choose "Update AI Masks"
- select all, choose "Make Previews"

Would love for this to "just work" or be an option for import presets!

thanks!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have custom presets that include AI masking. If I choose that preset when importing new images to a catalog, no mask is computed at the importation. 
So I need to wait the import, compute mask for one image, and then select all and sync to have the masks computed for all imported images. 

So it requires me to do an action between 2 relatively slow actions. If done together, I could go away from my computer while let it work directly at the import stage. 

Is there a checkbox I missed somewhere that allow to do so ? (automatically compute AI masks if there are in the preset chosen to be applied on import) 

Thank you in advance for the help or feedback

++

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have custom presets that include AI masking. If I choose that preset when importing new images to a catalog, no mask is computed at the importation. So I need to wait the import, compute mask for one image, and then select all and sync to have the masks computed for all imported images."

If you selected that preset in the Import window's Apply During Import > Develop Settings, then it does apply the mask to all the imported photos, but it doesn't recompute them. After the import completes, select all the photos and do the menu command Photo > Develop Settings > Update AI Settings to recompute the masks.

That's faster than doing a sync, but it's not as convenient as having an option to recompute the masks automatically on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move into Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating Ai is computationally expensive and when done for hundreds of photos it can be very slow.

While syncing Masks I have seen Ai taking 30' to update for 300 photos...and that was when the previews didn't need to be generated nor other photos where being imported.

Updating Ai simultaneously during import without doubt would slow down the import itself, the preview generation, and clog our machines.

Best solution would be to have an option to "Update Ai After Import" when it is most likely going to be smoother.

This said applying Ai Presets after import is the easiest solution and poses less challenges.

.Edit

If the Presets that contain Ai also have graduated filters then these ones will be applied incorrectly/distorted on photos that have different aspect ratio than the one in which those Presets where created.

Applying presets on import doesn't allow to verify, preview, if the geometrical masks in the preset will be distorted so it's better to never do it IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding the "subject" AI mask to be incredibly useful .. and I've tried to set an import preset so that...
- the subject gets detected/masked ... and it "pops" with increase in contrast/exposure

- the subject mask gets inverted .. and the background is "dimmed" with decrease in exposure/clarity/dehaze

This is so useful ... I want to run it at import time so that ALL my images have the "subject pop" added and then I can tweak the specific brightness/contrast/clarity settings on a per-image basis later, with the AI mask already having been created.

FEATURE REQUEST:  the AI masks aren't created at import time.. you have to separately select all the images and manually choose "update AI settings".  Instead, please generate the AI masks at import and then create previews with the masks in place.

thx!

ps - this is related to my suggestion below.  When taken together, this would enable "subject" or "sky" to be pre-calculated at import and available for quick-adjustment on a per-image basis without needing to re-run the AI algorithm for every little change in brightness/contrast/etc

AI Mask copy/paste: separate the mask-outline fro... - Adobe Support Community - 13786886

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023