• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Add a Depth of Field blur slider

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that lightroom has masking advanced enough to take advantage of it, it would be nice if we could get a simple slider or set of sliders to add blur that looks like authentic defocus blur added directly to lightroom. 

Idea Started
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

While not a masking feature, Lens Blur (Early Access) was added to the Photography Products today: 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-new-ai-powered-lens-blur-early-access-available-across-all-surfaces/td-p/14116767

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
29 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love lightroom and all it can do, one thing is missing. Please add background blur! That's the only thing missing. I import my pix, adjust tone and presence, crop, would love to add background blur there in the radial or graduated filter.

Thanks!

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe here in this forum, we are just other Lightroom users who can't add features to the software. Please go to the forum designated for product feedback https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom and make your request there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this already (albeit with no real control over the blur radius) by using negative sharpness in the local adjustment dialog. This does a Gaussian blur on your images. You can make the effect stronger by using negative texture and/or negative Clarity at the same time. You can easily make good tilt-shift fakes this way, or, if you have a depth map in your image (e.g. an image you shot with an iPhone with the depth map enabled) you can fake bokeh this way which works surprisingly well. Not as versaitile as doing it in Photoshop but will work in a pinch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work as a photojournalist and often do quick photo edits (exposure, saturation, cropping) on my phone for breaking news, but sometimes there is certain details that I would like to blur out so that sensitive/private information doesn't get public. For example a face, a street sign or a license plate.

I know you can use negative Sharpen, Texture and Clarity to blur a bit, these are not enough for what I need, and sending the image over to another app isn't efficient and takes time I often don't have. This means I'll end up using a different image than I otherwise would have, or crop more than I would like to.

It isn't just for anonymity though, I often like to use a slight blur in combination or instead of with vignettes to focus attention even more, but I think the negative sharpness simply looks bad, and I would like a different kind of blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i agree.

A Real Blur tool would really be a usefull enhancement. As it is today , i is a major lack.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!!! I've been looking for that for a long time! That would be an awesome feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

A direct blur slider would be good.

But I think you can get a pretty good bokeh effect using Sharpness = -100, Texture = -100. The effect with a single mask isn't that strong, but you can quickly increase the effect by duplicating the mask as many times as you want.  The results look comparable to Gaussian Blur in Photoshop:

Base photo:

johnrellis_0-1638644946747.png

Inverted Subject Mask x 2, Sharpness = -100, Texture = -100:

johnrellis_0-1638647219307.png

Inverted Subject Mask x 4, Sharpness = -100, Texture = -100:

johnrellis_1-1638647258122.png

Photoshop inverted Subject, Gaussian Blur = 12:

johnrellis_7-1638646295170.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm aware of that approach, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the kind of blur specifically meant to emulate lens blur, like you get in Photoshop or Luminar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has lots of blur effects -- I showed a Gaussian blur above. Which one would you prefer most in a LR slider?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new automated subject selection feature is really great!  Now that subject detection can be more readily performed, it would be fantastic if it was possible to blur the background more aggressively than the current tools allow - something like the Depth Blur neural filter in Photoshop!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dbk1234wrote, "if it was possible to blur the background more aggressively than the current tools allow"

I agree that having a better blur effect in LR would be great. But in case you didn't know, you can get quite a bit of blur by duplicating the mask as many times as needed:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-add-a-depth-of-field-blur-slider/id...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Darkroom I can access Depth Map in iPhone portrait images and change DOF in image. Would be a great add to Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"With Darkroom I can access Depth Map in iPhone portrait images and change DOF in image. Would be a great add to Lightroom."

LR does provide access to the depth map via the Masking tool:

johnrellis_0-1639453536582.png

You can add bokeh blurring to the mask by setting Sharpness = -100, Texture = -100 and duplicating the mask as many times as desired to strengthen the effect. In a previous post, I showed an example where the result was indistinguishable from using Photoshop's Gaussian blur:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-add-a-depth-of-field-blur-slider/id...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I'm not a professional photographer. I run a nonprofit that involves kids. I need to be able to blur faces for privacy. It's the whole reason I downloaded the LR app! And apparently it doesn't have this feature. Is there a different app that really works for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Lightroom does not work with pixels of an image (it is a 'Parametric' editor) it has difficulty achieving "Blur" effects.

One alternative is to use [Healing Brush] tool in 'Clone' mode, select a plain area for the 'source', adjust [Opacity] as desired, and faces can be 'removed'.

2021-12-25 08_21_24-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has made such crazy things possible it's strange that Lightroom can't have blur. Bothers me so much. I remember Snapseed or something had radial/gradient blur so it's got to be possible although it would be nice to have more control than radial/gradient too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specially professional photographers have the problem with "faces" and even "car-number-plates". Before publishing photos with such details we are forced by law to blur these goodies. Right now it is only possible to send the photo from the iPad/iPhone to a Mac (or any other computer) and do the job there.

Technical explanations why Adobe is not able to create such a feature are "nice to read" but do NOT help us photographers! We have to blur or pay (the fine).

We are all paying lots of money for the subscription therefore it is of outmost importance that our supplier - Adobe - creates a "working helping tool" and not just ignore our problem.

Let's hope someone takes the needs of the clients serious AND does something (not talking - coding please)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you described with negative sharpness and negative texture has absolutely NO effect and the face still smiles at the viewer. According to law we have to blur the face in such a way that you can not recognize the person. (However I would hate to "kill" my photo by just filling the face with a solid colour)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"negative sharpness and negative texture has absolutely NO effect and the face still smiles at the viewer."

That suggestion was for adding a bokeh effect (blurred depth-of-field), not for blurring faces.  Since this feature request is about adding a depth-of-field blur slider, I suggest you post a separate Idea for being able to blur faces and license plates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be fantastic if Lightroom could add a blurring tool. I'm currently using Photoroom to blur my images, which works well except for the fact that the quality suffers. It would be preferable if I could complete all of my tasks using Lightroom mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see the ability to add blur--similar to gausian blur in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please bring this one feature that will help photographers the most which is the lens blur effect that helps the editors to create the output photos completely through one app. Now, as an editor , i have to color grade my photos from lightroom mobile and jumb to another app for adding blur effect to ny photos. No matter if its a premium feature but still please add this one feature too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love lightroom and all it can do, one thing is missing. Please add background blur and Select subject o rselcet sky add plz! That's the only thing missing. I import my pix, adjust tone and presence, crop, would love to add background blur there in the radial or graduated filter.

Thanks!

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We are all paying lots of money for the subscription therefore it is of outmost importance that our supplier - Adobe - creates a "working helping tool" and not just ignore our problem."

Adobe has done just that. PhotoShop. And in essence you get it for free, if you consider LightRoom to be the main reason for subscribing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not a masking feature, Lens Blur (Early Access) was added to the Photography Products today: 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-new-ai-powered-lens-blur-early-access...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate