• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Add auto update recompute to subject /sky masking after copy/paste

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the auto subject detection in the new lightroom classic update.

Idea: add an auto recompute feature to the subject masking when working with multiple images.

Observation: I'm a wedding photographer. When working with multiple images and auto sync is turned on, all of my edits to one image are synced across all selected images. When working with the auto mask subject selection, LRC basically creates a mask "preset" for the visible image but won't apply that "preset" to all other images until you manually select the  "recompute subject" button on the mask pannel. 

Why not have LRC do this automatically across all selected images? Seems like a nice improvement.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13. This feature request is now implemented. Thanks to all who participated in the is thread. 

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 164 Replies 164
164 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, in any other community, when there is a button answer, it answers to the entry where I click it.

So I have to reformulate my previous answers globaly!

So Yes, do please upvote this thread, to show how important this is.

and adobe co-workers, please ask your fellow evangelist, why on earth (or in heaven) one has to ask for this feature.

If there is a need to recalculate, there should be a way to do it

Or is that to easy for an IT-Analyst to grasp? Sorry perhaps to harsh but... really!

That said, the new masks are a killer feature, I'm sure!

As for the filter I read about, thats good to know, but there should still be the trigger to recalculate.

One thing that for me make sens: There could be an option to recalculate a selection of pictures, And for those who want it, an optional auto-recalc function, but I insist optional, as my UX is, that you have to check the result to eventualy become aware of some consequent inconsistencies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok folks

I just found out!

When you click on the subject mask, the update button appears in the option pannel...

Its obviously not where I expected it, but...

And credit has to be given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, dear developers,

Not many photographers are aware of, but Adobe developer team is for sure knows that fact that Metaverses as Omniverse is coming and it is comming fast.

And I also have to mention an existing industry as product capturing, since it also would recieve great benefits from my below suggestion / request:

The new masking feature, specially the AI driven "select subject" could be revolutionary IF:

- we were able to syncronise the masking and edited parameters inside masks as any other edited workflow

AKA:

- the chosing the "mask" menu on the syncronization pop-up tab, LR should compute the same mask command (lets say mask subject / or what ever masking option) on every even image and also sharing the editing parameters inside the mask layer (invert mask + mask editing panel) with every even image.

If we are able to click on every even image and recompute the desired mask - probablly it can be handled by in built bach process.

And one more request:

Please add black background to edit panel, also please let us export the generated masks with the images (export tab - export masks next to images - mask file format solutions - mask dimension option - chosable sufix as _mask / .mask / (or what ever fufix we want) with the same image name - put it to the image folder / or to separate folder.

Thanks in advance! These would be extremely important and welcome options for all 3D content creators (photogrammetry) and product photographers would oopen up a champaign as well I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest update for Camera Raw (11-2021) is a game-changer with the selective masks selecting for Subject or Sky! This feature seems like it would be super-helpful when working with sequenced images for time-lapse. 

Unfortunately, unlike being able to synchronize other local adjustments, every image needs to be manually recomputed in order to apply the selective sky/subject masks. 

Instead of making it necessary for the user to click "recompute" on every image, it would be great if we could let Camera Raw know that all images are the same composition--thus the sky takes up the same space throughout--allowing Raw to synchronize all adjustments without needing to manually recompute.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for this feature and google send me to this thread. 
It could be: user selects some pictures and then, menu or button => synchronize all computed masks.
These new masks in LR11 are too cool to be let at this point of development. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, you need auto recompute next to each mask when we choose to select copy effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue of having to recompute masks also happens when linking a smart catalog back up with its source folder! Infuriating! This desperately needs an automatic re-compute feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is made for batch editing...

Needing to update each mask individually literally adds hours to a wedding or volume workflow....this seems like a really easy fix, and I don't want to wait a year for it, please add it in the next update. 

One button, batch recompute masks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the hottest feature request ticket in the Masking world right now and the team is evaluating this. 

Given that, on some systems,  AI selection can take many seconds to run, processing them to a large batch of images is a non-trivial use of computer resources and, by extension, time. I would love to hear some discussion from those posting here regarding expectations about behavior, warnings, abort options, when a 100 batch of images is going to take 20-30 minutes of run time. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make HSL adjustments with th eai masks? Or is it just gloval saturation for the moment. is this even something that is possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would just be another part of the ingest process for me. Start ingest (make a cup of tea), do the basic global image correction changes, create the sky & subject masks with their global tweaks (whilst drinking said cup of tea), copy & paste the masks & global image correction changes to the rest of the import (go and make a second cup of tea whilst it does that).

I'd much rather be able to spend the time it takes to apply the mask recomputing time doing something else rather than having to spend that time manually recomputing the masks. 

If it can't find a sky/subject then those warnings coming up at the end of the process rather than interrupting  it (so it doesn't stall the import if i've gone off to make tea) would be nice. An abort option would be cool, but I wouldn't expect that to be any more than a cancel at its current state, same as you can do when exporting large volumes of images. If 100 images is going to take 20-30 mins then thats fine, I can be off doing something else productive whilst thats just churning through. I have to spend that half an hour doing it manually at the moment, if it still takes the same amount of time but doesn't need my input then i've gained half an hour.... 

Just my thoughts, its awesome that this is being discussed thoroughly and may actually be effected in an update at sometime! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to apply my subject-select masks to a bunch of images then have the ability to select/filter/view only the "images with errors" in the current folder I'm working on and be able to select and "recompute subject/sky selection" across all of those images for however long it takes. I'd really like it to be a filtered view, if possible, though, so I can just go over those specific images before moving on, when they're done recomputing. 

I definitely don't mind if it halts Lightroom to a standstill the way it currently does -- or the way you can't do anything in Lightroom when you're optmizing the catalog -- but the ability to cancel would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Given that, on some systems,  AI selection can take many seconds to run, processing them to a large batch of images is a non-trivial use of computer resources and, by extension, time"

Applying Select Sky/Subject to a large batch could behave like applying Auto.  Applying it would be fast, just like applying a preset to a large batch. But the actual computation of the masks and Library previews occurs in background, at low priority.   If the user gives a command that requires the mask, e.g. going into Develop, exporting the photo, or Library Loupe, the mask is computed immediately, with the Detecting Subject/Sky overlay appearing:

johnrellis_0-1637772392278.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it would help if there was even a "filter images with masks" option in Library mode to help us find images that may have mask errors? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's submit that as an idea, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would make a good separate request. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the team decides to de-prioritize batch updates, how about prioritizing this missing function call from the SDK's LrDevelopController:

LrDevelopController.updateMaskTool (id): Update a Select Subject or Sky mask tool in the current mask. Must be called while the Develop module is active and masking tool is open.

This would allow plugins to quickly provide the missing functionality (and keep the MIDI controller people happy). It wouldn't be as nice as having it built-in, but it would cheap and quick for Adobe to implement, compared to full batch-update functionality, and it would satisfy the needs of commercial volume photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, it's great to hear someone from Adobe directly addressing this feature request. The AI masking is great, which is makes it ironically baffling to some of us that batching them was not incorporated from the get-go, seeing as how Lightroom is a batch editing program. In effect, the AI masking saves us time doing complex masks. But it simultaneously adds unnecessary time. I would normally just use a radial gradiant to darken a background, which is easy and quick to batch apply. But since the AI masking is so good, using it looks better than a gradiant, but because we have to manually update the mask, it adds extra clicks, which is not only time-consuming, but mentally draining. So despite how good the AI masking is, the hassle of updating them makes me want to go back to the easier workflow of just using a gradiant. But it doesn't need to be this way. Most people who would be batching 100 images with a mask are going to be professionals who have faster running computers. I have a Macbook Pro from 2017 with 16 gb of ram. Not a pushover, but by no means cutting edge. It takes about 3 seconds to generate a mask. For 100 photos that's 5 minutes and only occasionally will be people be batching that many at a time. That's not a big deal. For myself, a wedding photographer, I might batch apply an AI mask to about 20-30 photos out of a 500 image job. Mostly just the portraits. Of course, use cases will very. But this is a batch editing program. We're used to long preview building, import and export times. A little time to batch masks is hardly a problem when we can do other things simultaneously with that time. We can't do other things while manually clicking update mask. As for how to actually implement it. I think the bare minimum would be to include a check box in the sync dialog box, as well as the preset dialog box. Next to the box can just say, "Auto-Update AI Mask." Maybe two check boxes are necessary, one for sky and one for subject. When I Option+Command+V, it should also include the mask in the copy and paste from the previous photo to the next. Maybe have an option in the edit drop-down menu that says, "Auto-update all masks in selection." I'm sure others will have more complex requests but these might just be the simplest and in line with how everything else works. As for as aborting options, like all processes in Lightroom, just have the processing progress bar at the top left that we can click the x on to cancel the operation. Thank you, again, for reaching out to the community. This feature can't come soon enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see tick marks next to AI mask layer to show its done.

allow use to use brush to fix AI mask issue like over spill or underspill.

when I want to copy the AI mask and there is multiple masks I want to choose which one need to be recalculated during the copy effcts stage. I suggest having a tick next to the mask for auto computer on for each mask. 

grouping AI masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating timelaps video, by combining hundreds of photos from the exact same place using tripod.
It may be surprise, but the sky in the pictures are at the exact same place in all pictures.
same for the ground.
Why I cannot copy all setting from picture with masks automatically to the rest?
Why masks need to be recomputed? the sky are at the same place!!
Why it can't be converted to "stupid" mask and copied to other pictures in 0 time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how I can copy/sync masks (sky/subject).

Itried copy-paste, sync in modle Librarly and also in Development and it didn't work.
It asked me to recompute the masks of Sky and Sky-invert in all of the 1000 pictures in my tumelaps project (sky are in the same position all of the ime).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would like to know how I can copy/sync masks (sky/subject)."

Currently, you have to Copy/Sync the masks to the target photos. Then for each target photo, you have to click on the Sky/Subject component and click Update.  

See the answer at the top of this thread from Adobe employee Rikk Flohr about the state of the feature request to automate this, so you don't have to click Update for each target photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate