• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Option to replace or merge masks when applying Develop preset

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to Lightroom Classic 11, when a preset with masks was applied, any previous masks were replaced.  With the new mask model in version 11, masks in presets are added to whatever masks were already present.  As this is a departure from the previous behavior, there should at least be an option to mimic the old behavior.

Note that when syncing Develop settting between two photos that both have masks, Lightroom brings up a dialog to ask if the masks should be replaced or merged. At the very least this option should exist for presets that contain masks too.

The workaround today is to "Delete All Masks" before applying a preset with masks.  This is an extra step I'd rather not have to remember to do.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to change how masks are handeld when applying presets?

I have the issue, that every preset just adds masks to the already existing masks instead of replacing them. Is there a way where a preset replaces everything incl. masks?

Thanks a lot in advance, a solution would help a lot!

Best,

Arian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, that is the way it is. The preset adds a mask, and cannot know whether or not that mask should replace an existing mask or not. So presets don't replace masks, only add them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! I mean if I raise the exposure by 0,5 and the preset has a exposure gain of 1 it also is not combining those values and make it 1,5 but rather 1 (last preset). I do understand that it is different with masks, but still it would be awesome if a preset can just be a starting point for my edits without having to remember to remove the masks beforehand.

I will think about making mask presets and exclude them with my normal presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could go to 'Ideas' and see if somebody already posted a feature request for this. If so, add your vote, if not you can post the feature request yourself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have asked for a way for an option for presets to replace rather than merge their masks into the photo:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-option-to-replace-or-merge-masks-wh...

It could behave like Copy/Sync of masks works, asking each time if you want to merge or replace. Or it could be an option in the preset or in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree with this! Please make this an option in a future update! This is not an improvement what you did with LRC verison 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was suggested to use a modifier to trigger "a headless" Apply and Replace

e.g.

Cmd + click Preset = any Masks in the preset will replace the existing ones.

.This would spare having to select replace in a dialog window.

Votes

Translate

Translate