• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move [Done] Button from beneath Histogram back to Toolbar [T]

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Done" button on the "T" panel doesn't show up anymore when in crop or masking tool. I'm missing it.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
152 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a software developer.   In my profession, we have the "Law of Universal Improvement."   It holds that no matter how many great features you add to a new version of your application, if you make anything worse than it was, that's all they're going to talk about.

There is no apparent reason to remove the Done button.  It doesn't matter if some people don't use it.  It's been there forever, and many users, including myself, are just used to clicking on it when we're done with an operation.   Taking it away didn't make room for some new feature.   The space is still there.   Please bring it back ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Change the DONE button with an Edit icon in a new location? what is the gain? this does not improve the UI experience. Yes there are 3 ways to do almost every action in LRC, but why remove one of the most commonly used buttons and have it replaces with an Edit icon. ?? Makes no sense to me.

Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop>Tovit Lore<br />Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing is people are used to moving the mouse down and clicking on the Done button. If you do it long enough it becomes reflexive, and a seemingly arbitrary change is disruptive. Imagine for a moment if Adobe decided to rearrange the menu items at the top. Suppose File was the second from the right.  Would it disrupt your workflow? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly how I approach hitting the first icon in the Tools menu. I noticed this the very first time I used the Develop module.

OT:  Speaking of file menus.  Another major weakness of Lightroom is the lack of keyboard mapping/remapping.  This really complicates programming USB controllers and other devices.  I mention this having setup a few midi-controllers for use with Lightroom.  This feature is way overdue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like many do not understand what DONE DID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, first mention of the Done button being done in (but not by Adobe):

https://www.michaelrungphotography.com/post/lightroom-october-2022-updates-complete-guide#viewer-bb1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the esc taste instead of the straight forward old "done" button is an heresy: usuall hothead Esc taste is used to cancel the last editing step ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typo : I meant to write "... usually the ESC taste is ..." but the spell checker decided other ways ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the esc taste instead of the straight forward old "done" button is an heresy: usuall hothead Esc taste is used to cancel the last editing step ! 

It is [Undo] that cancels the last editing step.

[Esc] or [Cancel] generally prevents a new step, that is already in progress, from completing. And generally some sort of [OK] or Enter or [Done] action causes it to complete. But in LrC individual edit actions apply immediately as we do them - there is no confirm / cancel step involved.

Another standard usage for [Esc], is instead to exit from a task prompt that would otherwise auto-repeat. Enter is commonly co-opted too, to effectively do the same thing. For example: telling LrC that we are finished with doing cropping for the moment.

Sometimes we find ourselves two levels deep: we may exit from editing a particular mask (say), then we may separately exit from the Masking mode altogether. But e.g. to change which Mask or mask component we are editing, we just click to activate the different one - no need to first deactivate what we were working on before. And if in Masking mode we click on the icon for another tool - say, Heal - we'll switch to that immediately. It doesn't matter at all that we haven't positively closed Masking mode, in that case.

So to return to normal editing, we'll need to stop being in a different tool. The conceptual re-framing of normal editing as just another choice of working mode, becomes explicit with the new Edit icon. So now as an alternative to declaring what we want to stop doing - we can instead declare what we want to do next: general edits. That is IMO more consistent with how we already e.g. switch directly between Crop and Heal. And who knows what future developments of the interface may get built off this new foundation (just my own private speculations there).

This all reminds me of the interface idea sometimes referred to as "radio buttons". To switch modes on an old fashioned FM-AM radio, pressing the AM button in also makes the FM button push out. This is not done as an optional convenience, but necessarily. It's a single action, in effect. It may be possible to permit releasing the FM button without also selecting AM at the same time - but this would not be a precursor to pressing AM, since doing so would disable FM anyway. It would just be a way of turning the whole radio off.  LrC does not go to that extreme; it still assumes you will want to do general editing by default, when no particular other tool is engaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus when you want to click on the new edit tool, you have to move your hand all up to the top, a place where you aren't usually when your editing is finished : most of the time, I scroll down to the next edition dialogue, like the sharpen dialogue box or the transform tools.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beauty of the "DONE" button - it was always in the same place. While now "Crop", "Healing" and "Masking" panels are all of different size, so the "Close" button is always in the different location and in case of "Masking" you might even need to scroll. Again all these modes are called with different hotkey combination, so I have to remember what key combination to use.

While "Done" was always there, always the same place, and it was a unified solution to exir from all the modes.

Adobe has to bring it back. Though there are multiple ways to achieve the same, the "Done" was the most convenient one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@osovitskiy 

The "Edit" button is always in the same place too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The edit button may be in the same place, but it all the way to the top, instead in the more convenient place at the bottom. Also you wonder why the kept it for the HSL panel and the transform panel, if it was so important to them to fix something that was working.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are looking at or editing a picture, it's like reading, you go from top left to down right , so the location of the down button at the bottom right of the display made more sense ! Instead of that I have either to leave the mouse or to run all over to that edit button.. makes no sense if I just want to scroll down through the next panels, like HSL, curve, sharpen, lens, transform etc.. it can only perhaps make sense as long as you remain in the basic panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new masking tools in LR 12.0 for Windows are good, but the "Done" button in the toolbar is gone, both in masking and in the crop tool.  Bring it back!  And, is there a keyboard shortcut for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This, 1000% this. It makes no sense why it's gone. Nothing replaced it, the space is still there. Years of muscle memory are being thrown out of whack... this is terrible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a very natural progression when moving through editing. Click the tool top right, go to the image, make the crop changes (generally top to bottom), move the mouse down to the done button, and be right beside the majority of the editing bars - or be right beside the image strip select the next image for editing. Now it's a tool top right, over to the image, often ending up at the bottom of the image, move the mouse back up to the close button. It's a lot more added wrist movement, and less efficient, for no efficiency or tool gained - jusy empty gray space. That's the biggest kicker - NOTHING is gained by eliminating the button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't about what the button DOES, it's about where it IS. As others have said, if you use Lightroom alot, then much of the speed you can achieve with it is through muscle memory. Take that away and it just breaks a previously efficient and semless set of actions that you didn't even have to think about. It would be more acceptable if there had been a good reason for it, but I for one can't see why it just couldn't be left as it was and all the other changes still made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry Gladstone: among the keyboard alternatives for [Done] are Enter/Return key, and Esc key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also for some other tools, like adjusting saturation/hue by clicking on the color on the picture - the "DONE" button is still there, on the same place. So Adobe left this button for some tools and removed for some others.

What exactly has been gained by this change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the crop tool, ESC exits without saving the changes, but ENTER saves the changes and exits.  That's useful.  Thanks, richardplondon.

However, in the masking tool, ESC does save the changes and exits (good), while ENTER must be pressed twice to save and then exit the masking tool, better than nothing, but consistency would be nice.  (The software seems to preserve the option to stay in the masking tool and use another or a new mask, hence the need to double tap ENTER, I guess.)  Consistency also applies to the observation that the DONE button is still present in the HSL/Color module for use with the pick tool to adjust hue, saturation or luminance.  My guess is that DONE was removed by accident where it is now missing, not by design, and I hope someone at Adobe will notice this thread and restore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted this whole thread.  This change keeps stopping me in my non-thinking, muscle memory tracks and slows me down.  And then, each time when I get ticked off, my productivity suffers further!  Bring it back!  Please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to be honest that I miss the DONE button, I know that there are other ways of exiting the mode you are in, whether it is a filter or crop, but the DONE button was very clear and always in the same place, you did not have to scroll windows to find CLOSE or use a keyboard command instead of the mouse.  I will survive without out it, but as another writer stated, the space is still there in the window so what was the benifit of the change, end of rant, some of the other improvements are very good so will accept the bad with the good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within the newest LR classic V12 the DONE Button ( e.g. for Maskierung, Repair ...) is gone (deutsch:FERTIG)

Please bring it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came from a job and wanted to quickly edit the photos and "nothing" works. With all the new and also good features, the old should always be retained and the option for the new or maybe vice versa, also. I see no reason why the button can not be immediately brought back via an update.

By the way, why is in mask mode still "Inverted" not selectable as default, as it was always before. This is not working anymore since a couple of versions.!?

It is no longer fun to work with Lightroom!!!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate