• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom for Linux - is it possible? Most my friends and I need it, because of not using Windows and current Linux tools can't get so great instruments for raw preprocessing and organizing...

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 429 Replies 429
429 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure where linux is a major platform.  these are data for planet earth:

kglad_0-1706194070415.png

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think now is a good time for Adobe to think about a Linux version of Lightroom and Photoshop.   I have no doubt that AI will revolutionize everyone's life.  But I don't need an operating system that is AI centric.  I'm a photographer. I just want to process my photographs. Running Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom on these self serving resource hogs will be insane in the future.  Only other use I have for a PC is email with attachments and the weather forcast.  That does not make me IT stupid, on the contrary, it means I have a "F" life. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux's total market share may still be single digits but it's doubled in the past 5 years. Steam has made gaming on Linux possible, so many are switching over to get out of the hellscape that is modern Windows.

Adobe should lead on this. If they threw their support behind Linux (in a similar manner to Steam) it would let them invent the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Linux is NOT Linux.  It is the category name for umpty-hundred different distributions, usually with multiple releawses and patches.  How is Adobe supposed to do even a half-decent version of quality assurance in this situatiion?  Add to that witches' brew different GUI systems.  And what if some of those versions have issues with GPU drivesr?  

What is the market share of the "leading" distro for desktop usage?  I'm guessing well under 1%.  

Adobe still has a big backlog of unfixed bugs and unfulfilled feature requests, in addition to the the large amount of work necessary to bring AI capatility into LIBRARY,  DEVELOP, and PRINT.

If you are concerned about running Lightroom on Linux, aren't you also concerned about Microsoft Office?  Personal finance software like Quicken and TurboTax?  Why aren't these companies embracing Linux for these products.  (Yes, I know about how Microsoft supports Linux.  I have Windows Subsystem for Linux installed on my main system.)

Windows is a "hellscape" only to Linux True Believers.  How many of them will spend even $10/month for Lightroom if there are free, open soruce alternatives?

I think that your  passion would be better spent on developing  third-party utilities to address your Windows issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate