• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: “Smart Collections” to check for images without keywords, GPS coordinates, etc.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes import a couple of thousand images taken over several days at a time in Lightroom Classic.  I then use the "Previous Import" selection to go through, cull, add keywords and coordinates to my photos.  I would like to be able to use “Smart Collections” to check for images without keywords, GPS coordinates, etc. but was surprised to discover you cannot use “Previous Import” as a condition in "Smart Collections." “Previous Import” appears to live under “Catalog” so it would be nice to see it added as a source in “Smart Collections.”  If that is not possible, then perhaps import date could be added to the “Date” selection.

Thanks

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Previous Import collection is only for those just imported, the second you import new photos, those in the previous import go away from previous import. I do not think, could be wrong, that a metadata field exists for that, probably a field in the database flagging as such a photo as previous import, a field that probably gets emptied upon next import.

Also, Now I may be forgetting, until you import new ones, are not the ones in previous import still their after you accomplish some edits? Will get off my rear end and test.

/update/Imported a few, they of course show up in previous import. Edited one, it is still in previous import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also think once you start editing it's possible that the previous import is not as fresh. Again I do need to test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking about it some more, is it possible that some edits or possible adding data suddenly changes it from no longer being a previous import? Again I Also need to retest

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way would be to create a Smart Collection based on

• /Develop/Has Edits/Is False/

Then you would see all photos with no edits.

Another is a complex Smart Collection using the option of Match Any

• /Other Metadata/Keywords/Are Empty
  • /Location/GPS Data/No Coordinates/
  • etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the followup and yes I have smart collections for no GPS, and Keywords, but they are global queries and I have some old images I have yet to keyword or add GPS information so it would be helpful to be able to add previous import to my selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you GoldingD for your quick response.  Yes the previous import is overwritten with the next import or when you synchronize folder.  Editing images or adding them to collections does not change the previous import status so I would use a previous import smart filter to make sure I added GPS coordinates, Keywords, etc. before importing the next group of images if, for example, I had multiple cards from a trip.  Yes I could go to the specific dates I imported but I thought it would be much easier if Lightroom Classic was able to select using the previous import field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I then use the "Previous Import" selection to go through, cull, add keywords and coordinates to my photos.  I would like to be able to use “Smart Collections” to check for images without keywords, GPS coordinates, etc. but was surprised to discover you cannot use “Previous Import” as a condition in "Smart Collections." 

You could use filters and saved filter presets instead:

johnrellis_0-1637560934518.png

johnrellis_1-1637561048739.png

An advantage of filters is that they can be quickly applied to any source (collections, folders, Previous Iimport).

Votes

Translate

Translate