Error message: ?:0: attempt to compare nil with string

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message when trying to add an image to Quick Collection in the latest LR Classic update:

?:0: attempt to compare nil with string

How to solve this? Thank you

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

A number of people have reported this error message or a similar one when trying to add photos to collections, after updating to LR 10.  Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-when-trying-to-add-files-to-collections-i-get-this-error-0-attempt-to-compare-two-nil-values/5f9091ea35f40c2520b9ecc4 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error message: ?:0: attempt to compare nil with string

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message when trying to add an image to Quick Collection in the latest LR Classic update:

?:0: attempt to compare nil with string

How to solve this? Thank you

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

A number of people have reported this error message or a similar one when trying to add photos to collections, after updating to LR 10.  Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-when-trying-to-add-files-to-collections-i-get-this-error-0-attempt-to-compare-two-nil-values/5f9091ea35f40c2520b9ecc4 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2020 22
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1603477481345.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1603477481346.png

GoldingD_2-1603477481347.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following as I am getting this too after updating to v10 just last night. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-when-trying-to-add-... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe lightroom classic an internal error has occured: ?:0: attempt to compare nil with string when adding image to quick selection.

Uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling did not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic version 10 with windows 10 and I think I have a fix even if its temporary.

1. In the Library window select quick Collection in the left hand panel.

2. Go to the bottom of the image window and select something other than custom order, lets say 'As added'.

3. Now go to an image and add it to the quick collection and then unselect it. There should be no error.

4. Go back to step 1 above but at step 2 re select custom order and repeat step 3. The error should have disapppeared.

I hope this works for all of you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 9
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you it let me add to quick collection

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I can add to quick collection now! Only when I go back to "custom order", I get the error message again.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this solved it for me as well. Still, this is the second major bug I have with this release. I usually have three to four deal breaker with every new release, which takes months to fix. It's ridiculous how bad Lr gets treated, no testing whatsoever before a release.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague of mine compared us to beta testers now.  We're now all simply paying a monthly subscription to be beta testers, rather than be provided with a completed version of the software at any point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your colleague is right. Adobe (or anyone else, really) is skimping on testing (some higher up is probably making power points about "increased ROI at the expense of diminished customer satisfaction"), counting on the customers to do the job of reporting bugs. I work in the medical industry, we are held accountable if we sell products with problems (well, we would shut down because people might die if we issue faulty products). Since Adobe and software companies in general are usually not held accountable for the issues in their products, they get away with it. Without a legislation (like "every bug breaking the usability that the customer finds it's a 1% refund on the montly subscription until the problem is solved" or something along the lines) it'll only get worse.
Since we have good internet connections in most parts of the world, the term "patch" has assumed an increasingly and worrying significance. Just look at day one patches. Softwares are shipped knowingly faulty, quality don't matter, just the shipping deadline. Let the customer figure it out, if we sell enough, we'll fix it. If not, who cares, we made a profit anyway by cutting costs in the testing department.
For example I've been waiting for months for Cyberpunk 2077, and right now it's ridiculously flawed. The situation is so bad, there's even a bug where you can see the genitalia of male charachters sticking out of their pants. If this is not a wake up call for software companies, I don't know what will.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed. Well done!!!!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grazie!

Utilizzando questo escamotage, funziona!

GP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2020 0