• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best soft proofing workflow for Lightroom cloud

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Lightroom cloud doesn't support soft proofing. But I much prefer using Lightroom cloud to Lightroom classic. 

What is the best workflow / steps for soft proofing when using Lightroom cloud? I have PS and LrC as part of my subscription and am isinglass macOS. 

Is there an article or other thread that someone can point me to that explains this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you soft proofing for? In other words, what is the target destination for the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's proofing for printout. Been having trouble getting the right colours to come out on the printer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to do your printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a printing studio that has a canon printer. They are able To provide me a profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom installed on my computer, but I prefer using Lightroom Classic. In your situation, have you considered using Photoshop to do your soft proofing? I don't know if Print Studio Pro (if that is what you are using) has any soft proofing features or not. How far "off" are your prints, and what is "wrong" with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim- thanks. When I say I am using a Printing studio, I mean I'm using a external company to print my items.

I guess the way I should work is to do my edits in Lightroom Cloud, and then export to PS, and then do a soft proof there to prepare a file for my studio to use.

I've found some of my prints have been coming out much pinker than they appear on my screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the way I should work is to do my edits in Lightroom Cloud, and then export to PS, and then do a soft proof there to prepare a file for my studio to use.

Yes, I think that has to be your way forward. I've not noticed any relevant tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Stephenjc wrote:

Hi Jim- thanks. When I say I am using a Printing studio, I mean I'm using a external company to print my items

Does this outside lab provide a printer profile that they allow you to fully use (convert to the output space as you desire)? If not, the concept of soft proofing is iffy at best due to this liminted workflow. You can't control the rendering intent you prefer per image (it is image dependent and subjective) and you can't edit after the conversion (post conversion edits for that soft proof).  Most outside labs, the few that actually provide ICC profiles for their idea of 'soft proofing' don't allow you to fully use it, and demand you send them the data in (ugh) sRGB, maybe Adobe RGB (1998). Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE advocate for soft proofing, when you can fully use the profile as intended. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines