• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR Exports don't view correctly on social media

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot photos in HEIF on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I use Lightroom Mobile to edit it, and must save either in JXL or AVIF , otherwise the saved quality is somewhat overexposed and quite lossy with lesser details with JPG.

But when I try to share JXL or AVIF on social media, it posts an even worse quality than saving as JPG from Lightroom Mobile, like highly overexposed, or posts some error image.

If i take a screenshot of AVIF, even the screenshot is very bad. So basically what I have edited, I’m just not able to use from Lightroom Mobile at least. This was not so before, but just since some time.

Attached is an example with the original HEIF, exported AVIF (not getting attached), AVIF screenshot, and exported JPG (not getting attached). The AVIF in phone shows much better than the original, and so does the editted image in Lightroom. The JPG is also displaying as a little overexposed with much lesser details.

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Rikk already posted some links to some great resources and info about editing and sharing in HDR, but I'll add one simple tip.  If you want to edit in HDR in Lightroom, you can also specify what your photo will look like when it's viewed in SDR (you can do this using the "SDR settings" controls).  This gives you control over how your photo looks in both HDR and SDR.  Then when you export, export as JPEG.  The JPEG will include all the info necessary to display correctly in both SDR and HDR.  Whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my App is update as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does no one from Adobe ever see these issues??

Or vigor anyone help me how I can report the bug to Adobe??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen no evidence of a bug on this thread. 

Most social media do not support HDR files yet.  I recommend reading: 
https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2023/10/10/hdr-explained 
as well as articles here: 
https://gregbenzphotography.com/hdr/ 

to gain a better understanding of the incomplete support for HDR in the social sharing world. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is I literally am unable to use it anywhere. Adobe Scan or any other software either refused to recognize it or just cannot use it. I believe if a feature is made available, at least application like AVIF signs be able to detect it. So it should be a Bug.

But from Jao's response I have at least understood, that it is then better to edit just in SDR Mode. 

Thank You 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A LOT of software does not yet support avif in HDR mode even if it supports AVIF itself (it's a more general format than HDR images). JXL support is virtually non-existent. iOS only recently gained support for HDR avif in the photos app for example but preview on Macs still doesn't support it. The AVIF and jxl files that Lightroom writes are completely standards compliant so it is not a bug in Lightroom. It is just incomplete support for the avif and jxl standards by software developers. Nothing really that Adobe can do although I agree they should update ther own software outside of Lightroom and Camera raw. Even Photoshop does not natively open these files an will always go through camera raw which is weird.

It really is a big mess when considering HDR images outside of Lightroom and camera raw. Adobe is really far ahead of everybody else but that comes with problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you editing in HDR mode? Very few places support this yet and you probably should not do that. The reference to avif and jxl seem to indicate that you are. Basically no social media site supports HDR images in Avif or jxl yet. They sometimes support them from iOS in HEIC format but that is extremely spotty and usually limited to video. In SDR, jpeg will not result in loss of quality if you choose the export settings correctly. 

Bottom line is to generally edit in SDR mode if you go to social media or other web sites. HDR simply will not work in 99% of cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll edit only in SDR Mode then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very unfortunate that there is no more support. The images look so amazing with it on. But Safari doesn't support it even on iOS! Only browser is Chrome on desktop operating systems. So it is currently not a good idea to try to publish to the web or social apps in HDR. There is simply nothing that works everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk already posted some links to some great resources and info about editing and sharing in HDR, but I'll add one simple tip.  If you want to edit in HDR in Lightroom, you can also specify what your photo will look like when it's viewed in SDR (you can do this using the "SDR settings" controls).  This gives you control over how your photo looks in both HDR and SDR.  Then when you export, export as JPEG.  The JPEG will include all the info necessary to display correctly in both SDR and HDR.  When it is displayed on a system that supports HDR, it will display as HDR.  When it is displayed on a system that does not support HDR, it will display as SDR (with the look that you specified using the "SDR settings" controls in Lightroom).

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good advice but do know that you will not be able to get the image to look as good in SDR mode (which the overwhelming majority of browsers and social media platforms will show for a jpg with HDR gain map) when doing this as you can when you edit directly in SDR. There are a few basic controls that allow you to make the image look acceptable in SDR but not the fully optimized image you would normally do if you only edit in SDR. iOS doesn't support these jpegs at all for example. Android has support but only if it was shot using the android camera so you won't see it there either. Social media sites will just strip the HDR info when they recompress the images. It is a good thing to have if you host your own webserver and your clients all use chrome on desktop machines but realize it won't work almost anywhere if you don't have control over your own webserver. I wish there was better support but it all seems to be very slow moving. HDR images look so good on machines that support it so I wish operating system developers would just get with the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMG20240227180941.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines