• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you know what photos look like on phones during editing on computer?

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit images, they almost always will be shared and viewed on phones.  I create albums, then send them to other people.  When I edit the photos in each album, I am using my laptop, and they look great.  When I look at the same album, like through sharing a link and seeing the photos on the web or saving them from the mobile app, they look desaturated and all-around worse.  I understand this has something to do with color management, but I am taking the pictures in sRGB and editing them in lightroom... Where would colors ever get added that the phone can't display properly.  Is there any solution to this? Can I make sure that people viewing my albums see what I see on my computer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a Colour Management/Softproofing expert but much would depend on the type of screen you are viewing on an ambient lighting conditions.

For my own use (hobbyist), when I view shares  through other clients, they look fine with no desaturation. Of course, if It’s regarding critical professional use then there may be some noticeable, but then monitors should be calibrated and viewing conditions controlled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be truthful, the difference in displayed colors happens every day. The process of color management is rather complex, but in your specific case I would look for solution at two different places:

1. Look at your laptop's display. Is it good? Which type does it have: IPS, TFT or some hybrid stuff? Do you know the peculiarities of the technology in question? Maybe it enhances the contrast or saturates colors a lot. Maybe the color temperature is shift to blue or magenta? Usually there are tools to help with answering these questions to some extent, but a more obvious solution is to buy a colorimeter.

2. Which phones do you use to view your pictures? Here are the same questions - color temperature, contrast, saturation. Though many mid- and high-end mobile phones have really good screens in terms of viewing angles, most of them are shifted in terms of color temperature even though they cover sRGB space.

From your post it sounds as if the problem happens on many different phones, so I would tend to check the option 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way I seem to always see this phenomenon is when posting to instagram.  I know you probably are not experts in the way instagram handles files, but the pictures appear this way in albums or downloaded occasionally too - this is just an easy way of showing what I'm talking about.

Here are two pictures, the first a screenshot of a lightroom file on my phone, the second a downloaded jpg of the same file, and a screenshot of the result when attempting to post the file:

https://imgur.com/a/4YpZ6Wo

The jpg experiences strange desaturation, even though the screen is clearly capable of showing all of the original colors.

Both initial pictures are identical.

Any ideas on why this is occurring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you have an image on your laptop's screen. You've captured this by your phone and downloaded the original jpeg onto the phone as well. Did I get it right?

If so and if this happens for every single picture, the issue is clearly the screen of your laptop that displays more saturated colors than the image file actually has. Which laptop do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI, Color management is not that difficult however the steps are not obvious. Try watching this short video tutorial - yes it is for Photoshop but the same concepts apply for Lightroom and it might help. The video is from Colin Smith of Photoshop Cafe. This is a great blog to subscribe to as Colin is fabulous at making complicated things more understandable. If the link does not work, just go to photoshopcafe.com and look for color tutorial.

https://photoshopcafe.com/photoshop-changes-colors-color-spaces-explained/?mc_cid=0d9f65d118&mc_eid=...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines