• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom on iPad storage logic (or lack thereof)

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to understand what's the logic behind the storage management.

I uploaded 20GB of photos barely 12h ago.

Now that I wanted to edit them, I'm in shock finding that must of them are not on my device anymore...

and I now have to wait an eternity to download them back again from the Cloud.

The vast majority of photos do not even have a Smart Preview kept, just the thumbnail.

The iPad has more than 350GB left, more than enough to not warrant going into this extreme mode.

How does that make any sense, to remove every pictures barely a few hours after being on the device???

MacBook Pro 16’’ M1 Pro 16GB on OSX Ventura 13.1
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now enabled the "Store Locally" on the album..

But this image show that I only have a thumbnail left on my device.

This is truly ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried on your ipad going to lightroom settings, cloud storage & sync, and turning off the "only download smart previews" option? I haven't tried that myself but sounds to me that would leave the full images on your ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion, but it has never been activated. 
And actually, it's even worse, as for some pictures right now, I didn't even have the Smart Preview on device.

I'm reviving the thread a bit. Up until now, I've resolved myself to always checking "Store Locally" before importing anything. 
Yesterday I forgot... and now I'm waiting an eternity to redownload everything again.

At 80MB per picture, that's a significant time, even with a good access.

Usually, services storing on the Cloud have some kind of logic, to offload files that haven't been touched for a while. But not the one you've just uploaded, and are still actively working on.
It cannot be expected that the application can only be usable with an gigabit internet connection at all time.

I can't find an option anywhere that would do this, or one that would prevent this behavior.

Is there any logic/justification to this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines