Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Disable automatic people detection while masking

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow Lightroom users!

Recently I moved from Lightroom Classic to the newly created cloud based version. Despite the "classic" being my ride or die for many years I decided to explore what new adobe has to offer. 

One of the issues that I can't seem to wrap my head arround is that every time I try to create a mask (M shortcut) Lightroom initializes the detection of people process and it doesn't let me access the other masking options until I have selected a person to mask.

However great this peple detection feature is, it is not always necessary. I hope that this is just a bug and not a temporary feature that Adobe try to shove into our faces. This is very annoying and maybe a deal breaker for me. Please if anybody has dealth with that issue, provide some guidance!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Happens only after you have done edits on the picture from the main edit menu. If you open the image untouched and hit M key it shows the apropriate masking menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collapse the People Section by clicking the disclosure arrow as shown.

With the People section collapsed, it will not automatically attempt to detect people. 

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 7.18.38 AM.png

Moving to Discussions

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I most definetely would have done but unfortunately I am not even presented with that option. Once I hit the M key Lightroom directly starts to analyze the photo without giving me any posibility to stop the process or choose another masking option. Once it is done it presents me with only the "People" section once again not giving me the posibility ot collapse it or do any other masking besides that.

After further use it looks to me that this behaviour appears on random occasions but it most definetely isn't random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working correctly here. 

• Select a small image.
  • Hit [M]
  • Wait for the People Analysis to complete
  • Collapse the People Section
  • Hit [M] to leave masking

The setting is sticky and will be remembered across images and sessions. If you open the People section for any reason, you must go through the steps again to close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that by "here" you mean on your computer, because it definetely isn't on mine. I am given the option to "Collapse the People Section" only after I have created a mask on a selected person, which i might not even want to do on a said image. Please, if you have the means to do it, raise that as an issue that the development team has to check.

On the other hand, even if it was working exaclty in those steps that you presented it is still stupid (excuse my language) to "Wait for the People Analysis to complete" and only then be able to select another masking option.

Small things like this get in the way of a healthy workflow and completely ruin the editing experience.

If i can summarise with one sentence: My image should be analysed for people only if i want it to be analysed for people. I sincerely hope that this is just a bug (that you can report on and get removed in a next update) and not deriberately developed feature by Adobe, because that leads us into a whole new different topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"here" means on all seven of my machines (Mac and Windows). 

The current behavior is not a bug. 

If you wish to change the current behavior you would do that by making a feature request. If you like I can repurpose your post as a Feature Request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will be great of you, I would like to do that.

Thank you very much for your kind cooperation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines