• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Store album locally" option

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I am going on a trip and do not have wifi connection during the trip, however, I would like to edit current photos on the go and have selected "store album locally". I notice that space has been taken up in my hard drive after doing this action. I am using just lightroom (not classic)

However, after this trip, I would like to store my files in the cloud instead and delete these albums from my local storage. If I deselect "store album locally", will Lightroom upload my edited photos to the cloud and delete the files from my local storage? My end goal is to have my local storage cleared whilst retaining my edited photos in the cloud. Thanks in advanceScreenshot 2022-12-01 at 1.23.54 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

The images always remain in the cloud. "Store Album Locally" downloads a COPY of the images to your local hard drive so that you can continue to access them when offline. When you uncheck that option, all that happens is that the local copy will become eligible for deletion, but that will probably not be immediate as there are some complex rules which determines when locally stored copies are removed (Lightroom will often silently download a local copy, e.g. for editing, even when you are online

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I am going on a trip and do not have wifi connection during the trip, however, I would like to edit current photos on the go and have selected "store album locally". I notice that space has been taken up in my hard drive after doing this action. I am using just lightroom (not classic)

However, after this trip, I would like to store my files in the cloud instead and delete these albums from my local storage. If I deselect "store album locally", will Lightroom upload my edited photos to the cloud and delete the files from my local storage? My end goal is to have my local storage cleared whilst retaining my edited photos in the cloud. Thanks in advance

My apologies I realised the photo is not placed correctly.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 1.23.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images always remain in the cloud. "Store Album Locally" downloads a COPY of the images to your local hard drive so that you can continue to access them when offline. When you uncheck that option, all that happens is that the local copy will become eligible for deletion, but that will probably not be immediate as there are some complex rules which determines when locally stored copies are removed (Lightroom will often silently download a local copy, e.g. for editing, even when you are online).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see how it works now. Thanks for your help Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok this still doesn't explain where on your physical hard drive the files are stored. I have a mac and I have not been able to find the files all I see is a folder called " Lightroom Saved Photos" in the "Pictures" folder but nothing in there and I clicked make available for offline on and entire album so it should be instant and they should be downloaded from the cloud. I waited and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines