• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still don't understand how i can use LR CC and classic together

Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5TB cloud plan, work only in LR CC (and mobile) and am for the most part, really happy...there are a few features i do occasionally have to go to LR classic for....

tethering and tethered shooting....i simply open up a new catalog, shoot to a local (usually desktop) folder, shut down LR classic and import all files from that folder into LR CC which uploads to the cloud and all is good....i then delete that local folder i initially shot into....and delete that LR classic session/catalog...

until i need to sometimes export TIFFS...at which point i export originals (with settings) to a folder on the desktop, import them in LR classic, export to TIFF....delete those exported (from LR CC) originals to make sure i dont have duplicates.....

i still don't understand how i can access my cloud catalog from LR classic and have all changes synced back to the cloud...i work in LR mobile all the time and it works great!

i sometimes need to stich panos, or assemble HDRs.....right now i usually export originals with settings from LR CC, import into LR classic, do what i need to do, save the files, delete everything in LR classic, import the final PS or TIFFs into LR CC.....

I really haven't figured out a way to work with CC and classic coming from a cloud workflow with CC and not having duplicates in classic.....

todays updates, blurb layouts, something i use all the time....right now that means exporting everything and uploading everything to blurb.....i wish i could integrate classic into my CC workflow, not the other way around.....

i guess most features will eventually make it to CC but it looks like it will be a while.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general rule is, don't try to use them together. I have tried but it isn't very consistent or reliable. I haven't Migrated a Classic catalog with Lightroom CC. If I import images directly to Lightroom CC they will also show up in my Classic catalog because I do have a Classic catalog that I synchronize. But changes made to an image in one program don't consistently show in the other. The "official" advice has been to NOT try to use the two programs together. As Lightroom CC evolves, things might change. But right now this is a mobile ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess i was correct then to keep things separate.....and go back and forth if needed....

i wish they would at least give us a watched folder option.....and Tiff export....oh well, maybe next time....things seem to be moving constantly.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just looked into this...if i go into classic, under the identity plate (my name) and choose to "sync with LR CC" it will start to download my entire LR CC library and i should have my CC catalog the way it is right now in CC? so i will at that point have a local copy of all my cloud files as well as all files in the cloud? i guess the key at that point would be to only import in CC since any imports in classic are not uploaded to the cloud...but if i import in CC, they are uploaded as well as synced back locally with classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will tell you what I DO know. If you choose to synchronize then that catalog from Lightroom Classic CC will synchronize with Lightroom CC. You will then be able to choose standard collections that will synchronize with Lightroom CC. They will be smart previews, and will not count against your cloud storage. Whether or not your entire existing Lightroom CC catalog will automatically download, I don't know. You just have to give it a try. Take note that you can only synchronize one catalog from Lightroom Classic CC. Try it out and see how it works. Have fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many do use both together, although it requires care and attention (I don’t have synced turned on due to space issues, as all my Cloud photos will sync back to Classic).

So yes, all photos in CC will sync back to Classic, Imports via CC and would end up back in Classic (you would need space for all the Cloud Photos to download).

In LrCC, some users set the Photo Cache to 0% so less Originals are kept locally in CC’s Catalog. This may help to save space but Photos will have to be downloaded when accessed in the App, and it will be slower to use presumably. These 'stored locally' CC photos don‘t conflict with Classic’s downloads anyway so there may be little point.

As for work done in Classic, you can create Collections for these and sync to the Cloud, Smart Previews will be uploaded. If you want the Originals in the Cloud you can import these into CC and they will replace the Smart Previews. Unsure of how this works with HDR and Panos.

JimWilde​ is one of the best advisers of using both CC and Classic in the same workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small number - not many - do use both together, and this includes some who wrongly imagine this is what Adobe intend. But there's a difference between Adobe allowing some aspects to work properly, and integration being the underlying intention.

If you know both applications to a good level, you can take advantage of having LRCC as a sort of Lightroom Mobile on your other computers. If you don't, you'll probably get a few surprises along the way, so make sure you back up your originals independently of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is the way to look at it.....using CC like LR mobile but having classic as a base to work from and "control" where the images really are....

using CC (like i do now) as the main way to collect and organize images and trying to go back to classic does not look like a good idea....i cant find a way to actually sync raw files back to CC and /or the cloud from classic....it has to be done manually/via import....

i guess if one is ok working with files on LR mobile (on iPad/iphone) then using CC in the same way is not a big issue?

the difference would be that using classic as the "hub" means (unlimited) smart previews in the cloud and in LR mobile (and LR CC?)

vs using CC as the "hub" means limited (depending on paid plan) raws in the cloud along with smart previews (in LR mobile) which can be turned into actual raws if needed.....anywhere, anytime (as long as one has internet connection)

it is a little annoying that adobe did not give us the option to use classic as a "mobile" version for CC but i guess that is the point....getting people away from classic and into the cloud environment .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I guess if one is ok working with files on LR mobile (on iPad/iphone) then using CC in the same way is not a big issue?"

I think that is an important point, and I agree with it.

But in your original post, you identified a number of features that LR Classic does well for you. Those are not in LRCC, and maybe they will never be - other featurez that LRCC has gained are pale imitations of Classic's well-liked equivalents.

I think one has to decide which is "the truth". If you sync Classic, it takes that crown and LRCC becomes a convenience, LRMobile on the ther computer, a handy way of importing originals whichever computer you may be using at the time, a way of putting originals in the cloud (for whatever that may be worth). Apart from this issue of where originals are located, we also have the problem of metadata like keywords which Adobe have decided not to sync properly. I am disappointed with how Adobe has handled this, and wish they had explicitly discouraged people from trying to use both applications. You can - I can - use them together. But life is short, isn't it?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, i am now pretty sure that CC and classic are not really supposed to work together....it does seem a little strange now but not much we can do....

i am still locked into my cloud plan anyway, so i have some time to see what i will end up with...

one thing is sure, i loved CC right away and still much prefer the speed and ease of the interface.....and it has come a long way in pretty short time......we will see how many of the basic issues will be taken care of soon (actually IMO most are already although i would count Tiff export as basic)....

tethering is such a basic function to me, at least a watched folder function....i honestly dont see the big problem with implementation.....that and the range selection tool in local adjustments, which i somehow feel we will see sooner....

thanks for all the input, there is so much noise about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines