• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Lightroom Cloud while traveling

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use lightroom cloud at home extensively but we also travel around the country in an RV and take large sets of pictures.  Many places we stay do not have a wifi connection and some remote places don't even have a cell signal.  A few questions:

1. Do you have to have an internet connection to use lightroom cloud if you keep your images locally on the computer?

2. If #1 isn't possible, do you know how much data is used if we kept the images on the computer locally and then edited them with lightroom when we have an internet connection?  Is there any image transfer from the computer to the cloud in this scenario?

3. If we upload our images to the cloud when we get a good wifi connection and then edit the images at a later time when we have a cell connection (using a data plan), do you know how much data we would use in editing the images?  Does any image transfer take place from cloud to computer when you edit or is all the editing done in the cloud?

Thank you!!

Scott

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have no net connection:

• If you have set Lr to keep a copy of all original images locally; then you have everything you need to edit the images. Otherwise, as long as the images are in the cache you will be able to edit them but may be limited to the compressed jpeg preview so edits may not be as "valid"
  • Some features are not available. e.g. search, add/rename/delete albums.
  • All changes, including adding new images are cached locally until network is re-established.

Assuming you are using the desktop client, all edits are done locally. The original image is download, and then only meta-data is exchanged. To minimize bandwidth usage, cull the images before uploading. If they are already uploaded, then cull via your phone or other smaller device which will only download a small jpeg preview. Only switch to edit the images on ones you ant to work, that is when the original will be downloaded.

I have also found that by setting my laptop to store a copy of all images locally, that I use a lot less network capacity when working the collections, since I have the original image downloaded already.

Good luck,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines