• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to add a border

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way on the app to expand beyond the edges of the photo like you can on the desktop app and create custom white boarders?? I haven't found a way and it's quite frustrating as it's a simple enough thing. Thanks in advance!

Idea Started
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Borders are now available on Export from the iOS devices as of the December release (8.1)

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I'll switch it to an idea for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking to do this only on export or...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It would be to simply add a border to images displayed in LR Mobile to creat a more attractive gallery... similar to the way borders are added in desktop LR prior to printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2019 Aug 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t seem to find any way to add a border or frame to my photo. Surely this is simple to do within the app ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to do this too. I’ve found several apps that do this, but I’m petrified they will compress my image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This app has everything I need to edit my photos except borders. Can borders not be added into this app, seems pretty standard on other editing apps. Would love to be able to do everything in just one app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a boarder is easy, at least a white one. Go to geometry and move the scale slider to the left.

Update: if you want to apply this boarder to several pictures then use the copy paste functionality

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Works well if you want a uniformed border all over but not if you want on top and bottom only, or a polaroid look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, true! 🙂 You know that Adobe has this Photoshop Express App and here you have a big selection of boarders/frames and other features? Yes, they want money for the Premium functions

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SheriM, it even works within LR CC when you use one additional slider and the crop tool, see example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my original question suffered from the merging of threads...
I just want to add a temporary border to all images, with 1 setting, in a LR Mobile slideshow, to improve the appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, have you tried to add a white boarder and display it on the iPad , in my case the iPad Pro?
Depending on the picture format you have black stripes above, below or left and right and that would not be an improvement. I am not Adobe, but I would like to have a precise request best with a mock up picture or several pictures with different formats (portrait, landscape, square). And please test it on the device you want to have it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Now if you can figure a way to do top and bottom borders, OR borders on left and right side only, you’d be my hero. Yes, many apps do borders but I hate having to bounce from app to app. I want to have my cake and eat it too! Lol. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SheriM, that is very easy. Go to Geometry, Scale it to see the white boarders and finally use the crop tool (user defined) to remove the left/right or top/bottom boards.

update: You can save these steps and apply it to another picture with one click (as long as the picture has the same format)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how much you’re trying for me here...but that changes the dimensions of the photo. Needs to maintain proportions for my purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SheriM, what dimensions do you mean? The pixels? When you export you can restore your pixels. In the Photoshop Express App the frames are laid over the picture and you loose picture content, which can be ok or not ok. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usually I take my photos in square mode for Instagram and then add borders which yes, do cut off part of the pic. I can do your way if the photo is in the right orientation, and scaling and cropping brings it back to a square. But sometimes I need to border the opposite way and that wouldn’t work. But you have given me some tools to work with for now, so thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work if you have a crop on the image with a different aspect ratio than original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, yes, that is correct. My steps are only a little workaround. Currently there is no Frame functionality in LR Cloudy. On my iPad and iPhone I am using Photoshop Express App for such things and on my Desktop I am using Photoshop Elements. There is a big collection of Frame styles. 
To be honest, I never had the feeling that Lightroom should have this functionality, there are still many other essential functions missing. But that is only my personal view. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be a nice to have, though 🙂 A shame your workaround didn't work, I really hoped it would. It stops me from using LR mobile, because I want to have an app that could do all I want, I don't like jumping around between them. As of right now I'm using Polarr because it has the stuff I need, but I would really like to use the same presets as I do on the desktop and make use of the sync in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, yes it would be nice to have this option. My workaround is working for the original aspect ratio only, if you are doing a crop you have to save and import again, but that is often one step too much, especially when you want to apply it for several pictures or only as a temporary change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your little workaround has saved me tons of time! Thank you! Not always perfect but works 80% of the time!! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes take photos in 9:16 ratio but i want to make it 3:4. So i need a function to add borders to the photo, so that it stays in 3:4. I miss this feature on lightroom, and i have to go after other apps. Please i need this feature so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate