• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Hide / Password Protect selected photos

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you add feature to hide selective sensitive photos in Lightroom CC Mobile App? I like to show my friends/family pictures on the Lightroom app directly, it would be nice to hide some photos besides putting them in folders. Maybe even password protected perhaps? Thanks!

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
21 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on how you wrote about this, it seems you are in charge of showing the photos on your device. So, why can't you just use the filtering possibilities in the library module - give colors or stars to the photos and then filter what is shown by requiring more stars or certain colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but this means that I have to color / star / rate all of my pictures except for those that I don't want to show. Seems quite a tedious process. Would be nicer if I could hide only certain photos which requires password to be viewed. That way even if I pass my device to another family member, the wouldn't be able to see the photos accidentally for example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and colors labels are not synced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to be clear, I am currently only using Lightroom CC mobile, not Lightroom Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this! Or at least implement a 'hide photos' feature and have a smart album where all hidden photos are stored. 

Currently I use 1 star to mark photos I don't want everyone to see (pregnancy photoshoots, for example) but in this case each time you launch the app (Mobile or Apple TV) you have to go to the filtering options, while your photos are visible.

In addition to that, because 1 Star is greater than 0 Stars, I'm now forced to Star (2 and above) each photo I take for it to be visible... 

Frustrating to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you know that you can select a bunch of photos and then (with one click) assign all of them the same rating or color. This would make the solution less tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think this is available on Lightroom CC Mobile. Tried to look for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no color lables in mobile, I think 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ขอบคุณสําหรับคําแนะนํา แต่นี่หมายความว่าฉันต้องใส่สี / ดาว / อัตราภาพทั้งหมดของฉันยกเว้นภาพที่ฉันไม่ต้องการให้แสดง ดูเหมือนจะเป็นกระบวนการที่ค่อนข้างน่าเบื่อ น่าจะดีกว่านี้ถ้าฉันสามารถซ่อนเฉพาะบางภาพที่ต้องใช้รหัสผ่านในการดู ด้วยวิธีนี้แม้ว่าฉันจะส่งอุปกรณ์ของฉันไปยังสมาชิกในครอบครัวคนอื่น ๆ ก็จะไม่สามารถดูรูปถ่ายได้โดยไม่ตั้งใจ

[Victoria Bampton added Google Translation]
Thank you for the suggestion. But this means that I have to enter the color / star / rate of all my images except the images that I don't want to show. Seems to be a rather boring process Probably better if I can hide only certain images that require a password to watch. In this way, even if I send my device to other family members, I will not be able to view the photos inadvertently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see a feature like this too, a kind of "lock all but this album" by fingerprint or pin.

My Background:
I synced my whole catalog, every image I took as smartpreview, so its all there.

I use a tablet to show a folder with example pictures to potential photo models, would be nice if I could just give them access to that example folder without me needing to trust and watch them (or using another softeware).

Also after a shooting, they have the tablet to view and rate, again would be nice to just restrict access to this one folder/album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or showing a vacation album at family reunion without wanting them to wander off into the nude shootings folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How hard is it to understand that some photos are private which means they are not to be seen by others, period. Geez, develop a simple solution that allows password protection of albums and photos. There is no workaround to this that is secure!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be as easy as adding a switch "protected yes/no" to each album/folder and a general switch that is easy to get to  for disabling and enabling the protection. So if you give away the tablet to show your last vacation you can simply switch the general protection switch on, and it locks/hides all albums/folders that ware marked "protected".

Then after you get your device back you simple unlock them again by fingerprint or pin, to have your usual workflow with everything accessible.

Or the other way around, a switch  like "only show  this album" and request a pin/fingerprint if you want to leave it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally I don't think there needs to be strong protections around this.  Just a "back room" type flag that prevents certain albums from showing up as you scroll through the "all" photos portion of the library.  This can give clients/family some peace of mind about privacy under some circumstances.  This is especially true as for mobile auto-import (useful!) brings in pictures of unprofessional things like notes I'm leaving for myself etc.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is a strong omission. I recently had a boudoir shoot with a client and I just sent her a link to see the images as a shared Lightroom collection. I then realized the same collection will forcefully appear on my Apple TV which I use mostly for personal purposes. 

I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally click on it (while using an Apple TV), especially possibly underage kids, and see all the pics from the shoot or put them on display for all to see during a party for example.

There should definitely be a section in the Share Settings of the collection to allow hiding from Apple TV app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, where are you with this? Get it together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need the ability to hide select photos in lightroom. I'm surprised this isn't a feature already. I have personal work, work work, freelance work, and age-sensitive material that I edit. Having this is a MUST.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have literally no idea how this hasn't been implemented yet. It's so obvious. I actually haven't personally purchased or subscribed to any Adobe products in any recent timeframe. I'm actually trying to do research to see what products meet my needs. I was coming here to specifically check and see how security and privacy were implemented. Finding any of that information is an exercise in futility. Dammit Adobe, I've been using your products for more than 20 years, mostly in school and professionally. This might be the missing piece that stops me from making a purchase, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to hear from Adobe employees instead of countless unsolicited opinions about how this glaring missing feature can be circumvented by simply... avoiding exposing photos by thinking ahead of time about what could be exposed?

A photo manager should be able to exclude specific photos or albums from Search and default views like All Photos. This isn't a wild request. Countless folks have made it, nearly every single photo manager in existence offers this feature, including Apple's own Photos app which has offered hiding as a feature for years, and recently added password protection for this Hidden album which was previously a bit of a joke but at least prevented accidentally displaying photos one might not prefer to have displayed when:

- searching using machine-learning classification keyword which are completely unpredictable and could lead to accidental algorithmic cruelty (as coined by Eric Meyer in https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2014/12/24/inadvertent-algorithmic-cruelty/

- clicking on All Photos after having done a search which curtailed the viewport location to a specific point in "All Photos"

- using any filter that might group together sets of photos a user doesn't intend to view or reveal to any person concurrently viewing their screen, for example while doing a review, demonstration, or giving a presentation.

As an extension of this, if individual People can be hidden from the People view, why can't photos featuring them be also (optionally) hidden from All Photos. What's the point of classifying all these faces if it can't be used, for example, to avoid encountering potentially traumatic photos one still wishes to keep in their Lightroom library but not be routinely exposed to? 

Adobe can do so much better in this regard, I'm starting to lose hope that after all these years we'll ever hear even the faintest commitment to take such popular feature requests seriously. Or maybe it'll drop in a minor release next week, who knows? Given the non-negligible cost of Lightroom it feels like having a sense of the feature direction for this product would be less difficult. 

PS: This is not to discount the progress made lately with technical features like ML-assisted masking or with community-oriented features which are nice to have, but feel less like low-hanging fruits than this does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even Whatsapp can do this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Adobe any news on this? I want to avoid Google Photos for that sole purpose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate