• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing functionality in Lightroom mobile from Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting tired of lugging my laptop around to manage my photos during shoots, so i bought an iPad with the intention of replacing my windows computer. The key app for me is Lightroom. What encouraged me is the fact, that with iPad Pro and the newest OS I can mount my SD cards and directly import the images w/o crazy Bluetooth/WLAN connection nightmares and half cooked apps. In the meantime I seriously regret my decision and again, the key reason is LR mobile. Here an incomplete list of what I cannot do compared to LR Classic on my windows machine:
- stack RAWs and JPEG when browsing, marking and labeling my photos
- Selecting groups of images for color labeling and assigning #1-5 qualifiers for selecting keepers and discards
- renaming photos according to my trusted and long standing procedure (yyyy-mm-dd_event-place-site#xxxx)
- assigning key words
- exporting catalogues (in fact LR mobile does not seem to have a catalogue concept at all but rather collections only. I find it a nightmare to bring back images from a collection into my main catalogue (which currently has ~120,000 images).
- the whole affair seems to be geared towards working in the Adobe cloud. Forget that I have tons of space on OneDrive, Amazon, iCloud, noooo, I am supposed to shell out a subscription to yet another cloud. I don't know, where the good people at Adobe go for vacation, but where I go (Albania, Montenegro, Greece etc. with beautiful photo ops) there is frequently absolutely no internet so the whole Cloud obsession becomes fairly cloudy ....

- doing a quick panorama or HDR from stacks of raws
- etc...
Honest question to the crowd here: am I missing something here or can it really be, that I have to sell my iPad in order to get another boring Windows PC because there everything works as it has for 15 years dealing with digitaly photography?

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iOS devices cannot run Lightroom Classic.

One of the small Macbooks or something like a Surface Pro would be your best bet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short answer - Yes.  

Lightroom Ecosystem (or whatever its called these days),  really is all about the cloud.  If that is not a primary interest then the Lightroom Ecosystem is the wrong software platform.

I processed over 20K photos in the last 2 years in the field using the Lightroom mobile software and this last year bought a iPad Pro for basially the same reasons you state.  The iPad Pro with Lightroom and Photoshop is a very powerful combination and is actually my go to platform.   I maintain a Lightroom Classic catalog for many of the reasons you point out above, but my cloud catalog is my master catalog (all photos get to LRC by uploading them to my iPad and then syncing them to my PC).  

What I gain:

- native (natural feeling) pen editing using iPad

- Faster editing response time (provided photos are stored locally on iPad)

- Cross platform availability (iPhone and iPad and PC)

- Access in the field to my catalog via cellular connected iPad (this is big)

But the funtionality gap between the old Classic and the new Ecosystem app is real and hopefully, something Adobe will work on closing.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines