• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting Lightroom workflow for limited internet connection?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I have been using Lightroom CC since I started in photography.  I will be working in an isolated location with limited internet access for the next year or two.  My internet access isn't restricted, but I will have data limits and the connection will be fairly slow.  This obviously won't work well for Lightroom CC and everything being in the cloud.  I have looked at migrating over to Lightroom Classic, but it looks like I will have to maintain duplicate files in "from mobile" folder in order to retain my current collections.

Is there a better way to migrate my collections from Lightroom CC to Classic?  Or is there a better way to continue working in Lightroom CC while away from civilization?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you sync your Lightroom Classic to the cloud, the cloud images will be downloaded and the cloud albums will become collections in the 'From Mobile' collection set. If those images already exist in Lightroom, they will not become duplicated. A collection is only a list, it does not physically contain images and so images in a collection are not duplicates of images elsewhere in the catalog. They are all one and the same image, presented in different collections.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For obvious reasons Lightroom Cloud relies on good to great internet connectivity. In this instance you may be better off working with Classic and worry about migrating your work to the cloud when you get back or at least at intervals when you have access to speedy internet service.

I have a reasonably fast connection and still it takes a few days for all of my images to show up in the cloud after a shoot with several hundred (or more images) and be fully synced  into Lr's ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I'll be gone for at least a year. I
will have my entire archive with me on an external drive.

My biggest question is how I move my work from CC to Classic without having
to download a copy of every image to the from mobile folder on my
computer? That eats a lot of extra space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be mistunderstanding you but  it sounds like you've already downloaded  a local copy from the cloud to an external drive? Why not try this test... take one folder from your external and import it into Classic. Ensure that your edits are intact. If they are it should be straightforward enough to import the rest of  your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
My local files are the original images, not downloaded from through
Lightroom. When I tried to sync to Classic, it began downloading a full
copy of each image from CC into the from mobile folder. I don't know if
there is a way to pull my collection information into Classic without
having to double the space used on my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines