• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Edits with clone tool have gone awohl and changed to different areas of the photo!

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weirdest thing happened... I have edited a full set of wedding photos and I used clone tool on a couple (as I cant photoshop) to fix some blemishes, such as a bee sitting on the grooms jacket, or flying in the air.. and on another photo I did a very extensive fix-up (which I was incredibly proud of) as I sortof photoshopped with clone tool, a very ugly table with a water bottle. So I copied a bit of the upper fence, pasted it over the table with waterbottle, little piece by little peace... it looked pretty great. BUT THEN... i accidentally deleted the folder with all the orginal files (it was on my desktop)... panic.. so i got the exclaimation mark original photo cant be found. So i re-imported all the original files from my camera in a different folder, dragged it to my desktop, renamed the folder according to the path in my catalog where the original photos where stored and BOOM.. everything seemed to work again.. the crop edits, color edits, white balance edits etc etc etc where in place again. BUT for some reason i do not understand, the first catalog had 400 photos, the catalog (after linking the files again) was missing 3 photos (and i dont know which as the total just dropped to 397) ANYWAYS (just describing everthing I think might have impacted this) Now about 10 photos (including the one I spend 2 hours clone tooling the table with water bottle away) seemed fine for all edits, exept for the clone tool edits.. it looks like the clone tool now used a total different area of the photo to take a piece from to clone. Ie. on the jacket where there was a bee, i cloned a piece of jacket without a bee... Now there is a piece of sky in that spot! And for the table to fence and grass photo it also went awohl. Including some screenshots below, does anyone have an idea? PS in the history menu (in develop mode) It did have stored all the edits, so I tried to click at a few points in time.. it did return to whatever point in time i clicked, however, still using the wrong spot in clone tooling. WEIRDEST THING EVER!

im just thinking but i dont know if this makes any sense, that maybe the 3 missing photos have something to do with it, like the clone tool copied an area of the missing photo to the new photo??

see on the table photo, i did like 50 clone moves, from the gateway down to extend the fence, from the grass and shadow, and from the plant in the corner and its just totally crazy... 

on the kiss photo, i did a clone on the jacket, which now also is in the wrong spot... and im 100% sure i did a clone on the baby bottle in the bottom, and the balloon and the fence thing in the top right corner ( or i cropped them away im not sure) which is not appearing either..

on the other kiss photo I am super sure I cloned away the bee on the left, which is now also there....

strange!!!

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 15.35.46.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 15.41.13.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 15.37.45.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 15.43.57.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Here's my explanation. Apparently your photos were renamed on import, because no camera in the world would name its photos 'untitled-345.nef'. When you restored the photos, you renamed them again, but somewhere the sequence went a little out of order compared to the first time (because you were missing three photos). So the photo that is now named 'untitled-345.nef', was probably originally named 'untitled-348.nef'. Lightroom stores its edits in the catalog, so the edits were linked to the new p

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 17.31.51.png

   

ok here is an update.. although it still doesnt make sense to me, i think i sortof figured it out..

so in my sequence in the catalog there is photo 302 (where it looks clone to has gone awohl) and then photo 301..... when I syncronised the settings of photo 302 to photo 301, photo 301 now had the perfect edits.... so i reverted 302 to the original (unedited with the box in display) and kept 301 with the edits, i believe this was the original photo I edited..

although I have no clue how lightroom could do this, and i now am going to check all my photos manually to see if this happened elsewhere (also went for the other photos).. dragging them in order didnt work, so i had to create the same workflow as above: sync settings to the original photo i edited, and detele the adjustments on the photo where the adjustments shouldt be in the first place....

see below what happened when i synced 301 with the settings of 302

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 17.24.26.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 17.34.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my explanation. Apparently your photos were renamed on import, because no camera in the world would name its photos 'untitled-345.nef'. When you restored the photos, you renamed them again, but somewhere the sequence went a little out of order compared to the first time (because you were missing three photos). So the photo that is now named 'untitled-345.nef', was probably originally named 'untitled-348.nef'. Lightroom stores its edits in the catalog, so the edits were linked to the new photos incorrectly, at least for some photos. Consequently the clone work you are seeing in this photo, is actually the clone work you originally did on another photo. This applies to the general edits too, but you won't notice this because they are similar enough for the general correction edits.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply, that makes alot of sense. So from now on I am not automatically renaming photos on my import 🙂

Lesson learned!, hope this might help others in the ft!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines