• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I add facial expressions with mixamo?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched for an item that should have existed in the mixamo. Where is the "facial blendshapes" button?

I want to give a facial expression to the character.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Animation Controls , Character

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Adobe removed the blendshape work flow from Fuse when they split the Mixamo server

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love an answer too. I'm blown out of the water now that I can't get the blendshapes out of Fuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe removed the blendshape work flow from Fuse when they split the Mixamo server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

I'm sad to know that the blendshape has been removed.

So... Do you know any other way to add facial expressions with mixamo?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know any other way to add facial expressions

people that have their characters sent to their CC library still have access to all the face blend shapes... mostly because Adobe library is run by a different Dev team and they don't talk to each other but you can assume this will be pulled out of the system at some point later on

Screenshot (758).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried 'save to CC library' but that doesn't work.

There must be a way to at least access some of the .fbx files of these default characters with blend shapes. I could still do a lot with that. Unfortunately I have a project to finish and I'm stuck hand doing everything.

Does anyone have .fbx files they could kindly share? I just need a couple females and a couple males.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also gutted we can't export face blend shapes. Does anyone know any other software that export face blend shapes please?

character creator?

i thought the auto rigger in mixamo would rig the face as well but I don't think it does?

what other options are there please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I also have Fuse in my work flow and need to access blend shapes for facial animation.

Yup I have a project problem here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, 

not really but don't think you can do this with fuse now as it's not supported with mixamo anymore so no more blend shapes.

if you don't mind spending a bit of money, I got character creator 3 and yes the models you make all have facial blend shapes so a good alternative 😊

it's a good bit of software and models come out all rigged too 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! And how do you import a character into the cc library? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm never tried to import a character into CC, so not sure if you can. But if you make your own custom character within CC then it will have all the face blend shapes like Fuse had before. Also they are fully rigged ready to use in your 3d software 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

character creator 3 is part of the Iclone system and does do a very good job of face blends yes

Mac users need not apply + the system is $... mostly because its the best around

Mac users or other people looking for cheep workarounds can still make face animation with the Iphone plug in... this works the same as Adobe character animator with a camera recording what the human actor does so the puppit can mimic them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. 

I spent more time looking for what you're asking about that it took for me to transfer blend shapes to the isolated part of the face. I forgot what I did to clean everything up and match the z,x and ys .

It's like doing stop motion.. only you just isolate which face and slap it on the parent face as it's child. 

It actually saves a ton of time.

Of course,  you're going to have to mix and match old versions of blender and makehuman along with whatever op you're using.  I HAVE to find ways around Blender like the neighborhood cat being a Mac OS freak  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuse generates the blendshapes itself. When you import a custom character, the progress info states that it is generating them. Why it can't export them is a tragedy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not really what Fuse does... all the models have the same basic vector matrix i.e, all the squares are in the same spot on every male model so the eyes and nose are easy to find \ move

this is why uploading a Fuse made character to Mixamo worked before Adobe changed the basic grid design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must do it because you are able to pose the face parts how you wish. Importing a custom character clearly states "Generating blendshapes"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this still not been addressed? I would love a tool that allowed for facial rigging. I'm unsure how to incorporate facial rigging and facial animation into Adobe and Mixamo's 3D workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was addressed by Adobe dropping it from Mixamo because Fuse was 32 bit software and they didn't have the staff to keep it

how to keep it = you can still get Fuse 1.3 from Steam until Jan next year when all software older than W10 stops working but you are prob better to just move on because Adobe has not 3D or 4D software in their current pipeline can could even match the old Fuse stuff

move on to what? = Iclone $ and Windows users only, Unity \ Unreal for students to muck around on or akeytsu for people that want to learn rigging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuse was great but there are actually better alternatives now. But of course new learning curves. 
Paid options are character creator 4 which I use and is fantastic. Or free version Unreal Engine 5 and it's metahumans which soon will incorporate a face capture option. I use CC4, iClone 8, Blender and UE5 and it's a beautiful combo. Hope you find what you need. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as CC$/iClone8 is concerned, I'm having trouble finding out if I can effectively use CC4/iClone8 to edit characters I created in Fuse and Mixamo.  Yes, one can import the characters through .fbx and body animations seem to work, but not facial ones. Their support videos and documents mostly talk about what can be done with characters from their products, and what I can find about it doesn't really say. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can. Tbh I would just just bite the bullet and create whole new characters in CC4, then you can access the full face rigs etc and use motion live etc to use iPhone to capture facial animations. (Via iClone 8)

Thats what I did, I scrapped my old characters and made complete new ones in CC4 but it was the right decision as the new features/tools in CC4/iClone 8 are fantastic, plus way more detailed and thousands of options to create custom characters.

Yes it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Another option which is free and also amazing are the Unreal Engine Metahumans. Have you looked into these? They are incredible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, badmonk! Do you know if one can use Metahuman without otherwise using the Unreal Engine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried it, but I think you can export metahumans to use in other software. I think it's kind of like 'meta human is free as long as you use in UE projects', so it's prob frowned upon...

Are you looking to use your character in an animation? If so, UE has great cinematic tools. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, yes, but I was going to try posed models f irst (a graphic novel approach). I hadn't seriously considered learning Unreal (till now). I've messed with Unity in the past, and found it to be complex. I'd read that UE was harder to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines