• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading 3D model into Mixamo with textures

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm a teacher creating animations for my students during the pandemic to keep them motivated.

Believe it or not, I'm animating in PowerPoint with Mixamo models and backgrounds done with PS.

I uploaded a free model from the Valve game L4D2.

https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/left4dead2/model/12699/

The upload worked perfectly as far as I can tell but not with the textures (these are included in zip).

I tried to export from Photoshop but it didn't work and Blender is very complicated for a noob like myself. In PS I could see the textures properly mapped.

I've searched 3 hours of youtube videos but none provided any answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

TOPICS
Character , Upload

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

the steps you need are;

1. load dae model into Photoshop with all textures
  2. export as wavefront Obj with Png textures... not Jpg or default!
  3. zip all the files
  4. upload the zip and place your markers

if you still need help let me know mate

Screenshot (940).pngScreenshot (942).pngScreenshot (945).pngScreenshot (946).png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help it's help me a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate! Built simplr robot in Dimension, loaded it to Mixamo, worked perfectly, except not textures? I tried to zip all the files bleow but get the error in Mixamo? any Advice? many thanks

mix error0.jpg

 

obj export0.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unsupported file type will likely be the Obj file has translucence or glow
try load the model into Photoshop and exporting as wavefront Obj with Png textures

or share the model and I'll test it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I got your file and repaired it as best I could. the Obj I sent back has been tested

what went wrong?

the main issue is the file you made is NOT a standard Obj

you didn't actually have any textures just the default material with some colour codes which Mixamo is too old to read

file is not an Objfile is not an ObjScreenshot (207).pngScreenshot (208).png

p.s, in my option your best workflow is to upload / rig the Obj I sent back and ... assuming you are happy with the results then just load that Fbx into Dimension (or what ever else) to add your colours after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

First of all thank you so much for your time and effort in helping me with this problem.

Help understand why the obj file was corrupt? I sent you an Adobe Dimension file not an obj...so am to understand you exported my Dimension model as an OBJ? As far adding my colors afterwards back in Dimension, it defeats the whole purpose of sending it to Mixamo add the animation...

So, I am confused...since I sent only a Dimension file and not an OBJ file how was my file corrupt?

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the textures applied were Dimension Plastic material with a change of color...not just the default texture.

I am not try to be contrite, it's just that I don't understand the method you used to upload obj with textures to Mixamo and how you were able to get it work.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is my problem right now : ( still cant get things from adobe dimention to mixamo. did anyone work out how to get the obj zipped folder to work? using blender isnt an option for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share the obj file so I may see it?

thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.. Thank you sir!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Dpoon

Can you explain how to use Fuse with STEAM?

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if isn't dae model then what are the other method 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is the only thing that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had a chance to read my response to your obj file ? ty Can you do a screen recording of the steps do I can see how  you actually get the 'correct answer' to work? Please, I'm desparate...ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• take another look at the first screengrab I posted of your Dn file... it shows you what you have to change in order to export a standard Obj file for uploading to Mixamo... Mixamo allows Obj, Fbx or zip files only so you can't upload a Dn file

• so you want me to teach you 3D and the difference between rbg Nvidia textures and Apple Metal textures? I know you use Dimension so will show you the workflow I use and how to spot different drivers because Adobe changed from Nvidia to Metal and it buggered up everyone that just downloads updates without asking why

1 download character and animation1 download character and animation2 test it works2 test it works4 test it4 test itupload it back to Mixamoupload it back to Mixamonew animationsnew animations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• metal textures in Adobe Dimension... how to spot them and how to fix

Screenshot (4450).pngScreenshot (4451).png

Screenshot (4452).png

• how to spot in older versons of Photoshop and how to fix... if you have the current Photoshop it should look ok but will be shinny in Mixamo because Mixamo is old and can't read the new file types

Screenshot (4453).pngScreenshot (4454).pngScreenshot (4457).pngScreenshot (4459).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to give you screengrabs but the problem is I don't know what build of Photoshop or whatever else you are using and how it looks at your end will be different if you use the wrong build... actually its just a matter of fixing the way the light is rendored as Apple metal drivers tend to look more shinny

download animationdownload animationtest ittest itedit the modeledit the modelmake a single texture (note current Photoshop used here)make a single texture (note current Photoshop used here)how to spot the wrong textures usedhow to spot the wrong textures used

If you are working in Fbx then Dimension will load your downloaded animation file and allow you to make edits which you can then reupload or just swap out... it depends on how old your software is as to do you need to convert back to rbg or stay metal

• a texture is a image [sometimes called a map] and Mixamo looks for image files... many of the new materials you get with Dimension are just the default material (even if they call it plastic) and they just have basic info stored in the mtl file i.e, no actual texture images are exported from Dimension when you use these materials and mixamo can't read a Obj that does not have textures... check the Obj file Dimension exports out for you, no images = pick something else or don't use Mixamo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your my Valentine!

I will re-read your excellent response and thank you for taking so much time to explain things.

Last question is there an alternative to Mixamo with easily adding baked animations to files?

Again, with my deepest gratitude, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to thank you for the help...like an idiot I never look at the help file link on the rigging page in Mixamo which clearly states your answer...Adobe must have changed Mixamo because i always get an error that mixamo doesn't approve of what is in the zipped file...cheers

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/mixamo-rigging-animation.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the best alternative to Mixamo is Iclone but their system is $ and Mac users need not apply

yes the Mixamo Fbx was changed just before Xmas to 'update' i.e, bust Fbx workflow and the fact that Adobe does whatever Apple tells them too is why we have metal drivers to play with now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got scanned at a booth at CES some years ago (before the pandemic) and I'm having issues getting the textures to bake into my model... the model just keeps showing up as a glowing thing (see video/photo)... I have the model, png, and MTL files zipped together in a folder and after about six tries, MIXAMO finally said it would rig my character, but when it shows there are no textures, just a glowing mass... if I leave out the textures and just upload the OBJ... the model is just gray (but we know that)

help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert, but have you tried to generate new UV files in Adobe Photoshop and reload the textures? What is the format of the original scan-obj-fbx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I don't know how to do that... I'm really good at a lot of things (3d modeling inanimate objects, photo editing, etc) but I'm not good enough or knowledgeable enough to know about generating new UV files... also the original file is OBJ... the PNG and MTL files were also given as part of the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 3d models for no reason what so ever just stopped uploading the skins to the models. Literally no reason no explanation no changes made to the files it just stopped uploading skin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what i did was, i first exported my file as an obj file. with this, i got 2 files on my computer.. the obj file of the character and a mtl file (saved as a separate file, but saved with the obj file.) what i did next was that i exported the same character blender file as a dae file. this export process gives us two png texture files like you said. i thought this would be the same as importing and exporting the file in and out of photoshop. i then made a zip file cosisting of the obj file obtained from exporting as an obj and the 2 png texture files obtained from exporting as a dae. but not only did uploading the new zip file to mixamo not work, but i also got the error message that a file type in the zip file was not compatible with mixamo. since there were only 2 types of files in the zip (.obj and .png), i think it is fair to say that the error was caused by the png file.

but then what complicated things was that i tried a different method.. by zipping the obj file, the mtl file and the 2 png files. uploaded the new zip file with the obj, mtl and pngs. but this time, the character uploaded, but not only did the texture still not import, but the grey unfilled material that usually takes over when the texture is broken was not there as well. meaning, so sort of lighting on the body. it was completely black. no shades, shadows, nothing.. 

i have not yet tried out the photoshop method, but could anyone tell me, if this method with photoshop works, how is the method of exporting and importing in and out of photoshop any different from the method i specified at the start, which was easier and faster than the method with photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines