• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parametric Filters feedback and ideas

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most exciting features I have seen. I use Filter Forge sometimes, but it is clunky to have an image open in another program. I think parametric filters will be able to do many of the things Filter Forge does while having the power of being a native smart filter. I'm learning how to use Substance Designer just to create my own Parametric Filters. The filters fill gaps I have always felt were missing from Photoshop.

I currently mostly use the filters with photo compositing, doing things like lightning effects and "degrading" things like 3D renders that look too perfect. I think it also has amazing potential for uses like text effects, 3D effects, metallic effects, etc.

There is only one major thing I would love to see changed. I would love for it to apply to the layer I'm on, and not make a duplicate, especially if it is already a smart object. (currently, even if the layer is already a smart object, when first applying a new Parametric filter, it makes a new smart object that is not linked to the previous one, so updates to one will not affect the other.)
If I need multiple of the same smart object with at least one being a parametric filter, the workaround is to apply the parametric filter first and then base everything on that new smart object, which requires extra foresight and is not ideal.

It would also be nice to be able to have more than one parametric filter on a single layer (and to show a specific filter name instead of just "Parametric filter").

I think the Parametric Filters feature is the type of thing that many people won't realize its full potential at first, but when people start doing amazing things with it, it will slowly catch on, and it will become a major part of many workflows.

TOPICS
Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey for the "It would also be nice to be able to have more than one parametric filter on a single layer", just hold Alt while choosing another parametric filter 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I realize this is an old thread, I am just holding out on hope that someone who can answer does respond...maybe I'll get lucky!

I wonder if Premiere Pro beta has the image parametric filters.  If not, I wonder if photoshop could take the video file and apply.  I guess I'll experiment.

Thanks everyone, and especially if you've got some helpful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think you might be able top do this.  Open the video clip in Photoshop and make it a Smart Object in the Layers panel.

OK, I just tried it, and it does not appear to be working.  Parametric filters are available after you make the video layer a Smart Object.  When I applied one it created a new layer that was initially empty, but after playing the clip the new layer was filled with the video, but appeared unchanged.  If you do this with one of the normal filters it is applied directly to the layer, and shows in the clip.   I might have missed something, but I suspect you might be out of luck.

One thing you could try is apply an effect to a still image above the video layer, and try different blend modes to see how it affects the video.  A long way short of having the effect animated though.  I'd be interesated to hear how you get on if you make any progress.

I'm sure you realise that any affects you obtain with Photoshop need to be rendered out before using in PremPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You are awesome. Thanks for testing it out for me. How great would that be for Adobe to give to Premiere Pro.

Thanks again my Adobe friend!!

Kindest regards,
:camera: ~ Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines