Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop 24 doesnt open

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I work in photoshop on RAW files and try to open the Camera Raw plugin, it doesn't open. I only get an error sound when I click somewhere, but no error message. With Alt+F4 I can turn back to Photoshop, which tells me that my computer is somehow trying to open Camera Raw in the background until I press that key combination.

I have all the latest updates and have already tried to delete and re-install the software as well as improving the performance of photoshop.

Version: Photoshop 25.0

Windows 10

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution: I connected a monitor to m laptop and CAR opened on that 2nd screen... So, my guess is that CAR opens but outside of my laptop screen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same type of issue with photoshop and bridge but Camera raw is not opening on a screen anywhere that I can see. If I hit escape I can go back to photoshop or bridgeis there a way to reset it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer was already connected to a 2nd monitor. I somehow did a seperate install of camera raw - to edit in camera raw, but it doesnt have an option to ai enhanced noise reduction and when I try to do enhance resolution it crashes I get an error... one step forward and 2 steps back I hate to invest in another software to do these functions when I am already supposibly paying for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crashing in your graphics processor (GPU). Either your GPU is old and underpowered, or you have a laptop with conflicting dual GPUs.

ACR has stricter requirements from the GPU than Photoshop has nowadays. The "enhance" functions are particularly GPU-intensive and any problems are bound to show up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, I got photo raw to sort of work for a while, but it has stopped working again. I have a second monitor and it doesn't show up on it anywhere when I try to open a raw image. My video card has 6 gb of ram and I updated the drivers Everything was working fine until a few months ago.  I tried Affinity photo which seems to be working fine but doesn't have quite as many features. Does Adobe offer solutions or am I just wasting my money on something that doesn't work anymore? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't for me. Works fine on iPhone images but only sometimes works on images from my Nikon Z5. Sometimes won't display thumbnails of RAW files in Bridge and then Camera RAW won't open the images. Displays JPG files in Bridge then opens them in RAW, but doesn't list my lens for lens profile corrections. I'm using Windows 10 and have been unable to successfully update the Camera Raw plug-in using the Camera Raw 16.1 installer so had to use the Camera Raw 14.5 installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error Message.jpg

This is the error message I get when trying to instal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brian Rope 

I don't know what kind of installer you found or where that came from, but you're going about this the wrong way.

ACR is installed with Photoshop, through the CC desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse. Thanks for your response but this screenshot says that Camera Raw is installed and up-to-date on my PC, so what do I need to do?

CC Installed.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D FosseThanks for your respnse. CC Installed.jpgI downloaded from Camera Raw plug-in installer (adobe.com). Also, the attached screenshot says PS and Camera Raw are both installed and up-to-date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brian Rope 

Re-reading your first post, this sounds like Bridge problems, not ACR problems.

First of all:

"Displays JPG files in Bridge then opens them in RAW, but doesn't list my lens for lens profile corrections"

This is normal! There won't be any lens profile for a rendered RGB file, it's already baked into the data.

There is also a setting in Camera Raw Preferences for handling of jpeg and TIFF files. The default opens any jpeg in ACR if it already has ACR metadata. If you set this to "disable jpeg support", they will go directly to Photoshop.

Second: If Bridge doesn't show your files, it may have a corrupt cache. There is a setting in Bridge Preferences to clear the cache. Note that it can take some time to rebuild.

In any case: if you already have ACR installed and up to date, multiple reinstalls won't help. What could help is to reset ACR preferences. Corrupt preferences can give weird and unpredictable symptoms. In effect, it returns the application to clean factory state. Press ctrl+alt+shift as you open ACR. You will get a confirmation dialog, if not, you didn't do it right and you need to try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an easier way to reset the ACR preferences.

In Photoshop, go to Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw, and click Camera Raw with the Control key pressed, which brings up this dialog.

ACR-reset-preferences-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, much simpler, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same bug, that the camera raw window seemingly did not open but photoshop behaved, as if it was.
The solution (for windows) is simple. press WIN + SHIFT + ARROW LEFT/RIGHT. That is the Shortcut for switching different screens in Windows. after a few left/right/left wiggles, the window appeared. It seemed to remember a screen config I dont have anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines