• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Halftone Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Would someone be able to help me fix this issue? I want to have a dotted halftone pattern on the blurred circle shown in the photo but instead, this thing happens. 
Note: The version I'm using is Photoshop 2022

duckiecomrade_1-1704595892432.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your Layers panel.

I'm presuming you have a drop shadow layer style applied to the layer. You will need to separate the drop shadow as a separate layer and apply the halftone effect to the separate shadow layer.

2024-01-07_14-32-26.png

shadow-halftone.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

duckiecomrade_0-1704598409583.png

No, it's not a drop shadow. It's a Gaussian blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the blurred pixel layer is in a separate layer, just like my example... Is the halftone effect in my animated example what you are looking for? Should the halftone be a single-plate "stipple" or a four-plate CMYK "rosette" halftone pattern?

There are multiple methods and all have different results:

• Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone (RGB or CMYK mode)
  • Filter > Filter Gallery > Sketch > Halftone Pattern (RGB mode only)
  • Converting to Bitmap mode using a halftone (most realistic results but takes more work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the halftone pattern I want. The 'Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone' doesn't work and that's the problem I want to fix. My work is on RGB mode and CMYK mode doesn't fix as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The halftone in my example was created from duping the shadow layer to a new doc and converting to bitmap mode at final pixel resolution/size. Then recombining the bitmap shadow doc back to the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it creates a threshold-like effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to select the halftone conversion method with appropriate screen frequency for the document resolution and screen angle and dot shape.

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/converting-color-modes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it looks like moiré from screen resampling on a zoomed out image.

@duckiecomrade Set View at 100% (ctrl+1) and check again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the halftone pattern I want. The 'Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone' doesn't work and that's the problem I want to fix. My work is on RGB mode and CMYK mode doesn't fix as well. 

By @duckiecomrade

I mentioned CMYK because it's "more correct" in creating a colour halftone than RGB. Even if the image is meant for RGB display, create the Color Halftone filter in CMYK and then convert back to RGB and adjust saturation if needed.

I used Bitmap mode halftone as it creates the best results, but as I mentioned it has to be created at final pixel size (100%) and as @D Fosse mentions, such effects need to be viewed at 100% size where 1 image pixel = 1 display pixel (1:1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative approach would to use a circular selection for a mask on a Color Fill layer. Blur the mask, and then apply Color Halftone to the mask. Only the first channel is used.

Semaphoric_0-1704758198639.png

512.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a new halftone effect in Parametric filters, which I think gives you more control.

It's only available in the beta version though.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's also the free Comic Kit script that might help:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines