Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layer masks not masking, and the refine mask tool useless

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've been working using photoshop for 30 plus years–every version since 2.

Right now I'm working on a bunch of fashion images that require compositing and color matching. Lately, I've had issues with the layer masks stopping to mask the adjustment layers.

My workflow generally involves creating groups for item, say, a shirt–and putting all my adjustments for the item into one folder. These groups will generally live in another folder called "subject."

Recently I've noticed that there will be noise on the layer mask-like bad tv reception. Another issue, more pressing, is that the mask isn't masking out the area I want it to–so for example, the adjustment I made to the shirt is affecting the entire subject and not just the shirt.

When I restart PS, it starts working again.

Also–the refine mask tool is useless–I've been trying to mask out hair, but it's super wonky–the brushes don't seem to be doing anything like edge detection. Usually I cut these masks first before doing any extensive retouching–but it's worse than the old refine mask took from 7 or 8 years ago. At the time, I used to use the legacy version, which worked better, but now, it's not working at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS 25.7.0
Mac Book Pro M1 Max running Mac OS 14.5 (23F79)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you reset the preferences? Can you share some screenshots of the problems? 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines