• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Alt-Clicking arrows next to groups zooms to the group

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the new feature to zoom to a layer's contents in Photoshop v21.0.0, it now conflicts with the feature to auto-collapse or expand all of a group's folders by Alt-Clicking on the arrow next to the folder icon. Now, it still does the action, but while zooming into the group at the same time. I like the new feature, but it should only work when alt-clicking on any other part of the layer.
This zoom feature also always stacked like it does now on all layers when the arrow next to Artboard layers were alt-clicked in previous versions. It would zoom and collapse layers under it.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019
The issue for groups was fixed in 21.0.2.

Please add a me too for the selection shortcut problem here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-zooms-out-while-trying-to-subtract-...

Votes

Translate

Translate
50 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hugo, thanks. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoom occurs when alt-opening/closing folders in layer palette.
If no layer is selected, it zoom to "fill screen". If a layer /folder is selected, it zooms to "fill screen" to its dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the new zoom to layer content when alt-clicking on a layer. But it needs some tweaking.

The standard to expand or collapse everything grouped inside a layer group is alt-clicking the chevron icon. This helps a lot in keeping the overview when working with many layers. However, at this moment when I'm zoomed in to the right place and want to tidy up my layers view, Photoshop takes me to a whole new zoom level.

Expected interaction:
  • Alt-click on the layer name and empty space = zoom to layer content.
  • Alt-click on chevron icon = expand/collapse, without zoom to layer content. 

This tweak would be a great addition! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Also is causing a problem when duplicating a layer mask by option dragging it onto a different layer. The problem is compounded by the fact that my entire photoshop window is also resizing even though I have resize window on zoom disabled in the preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you add a way to turn off the ‘Zoom to Layer Content’ feature. I use Option + Click to collapse folders and this is getting really annoying that it zooms in every time i do that. It also does it when you want to deselect a layer from a selection on the artboard by "option + command + clicking" the layer icon.

I understand the benefit of this feature, but it also has many flaws since option + clicking on a layer already has features that this is conflicting with. Please just add an option in preferences to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, how do we turn this off?  It also annoyingly zooms when subtracting a selection by command-option clicking on the layer thumbnail.  It's driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, how do we turn this off?  It also annoyingly zooms when subtracting a selection by command-option clicking on the layer thumbnail.  It's driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to mention this too. It takes over everything! I guess we just have to deal with this until it is addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully it will get fixed quickly.  Or at least give us the option to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also PS 2020 is freezing so often.  It hasn't been this buggy in years.  I'm switching back to 2019.  Just not enough nice new features to be worth it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I really don't want them to take an "easy way out" by just making it something we can turn off. I want to be able to use the feature without zooming in all the time when I use the Opt/Alt key with the layers panel.  I don't want to have to constantly enable and disable it all the way through one single composite of 50 layers. That would be SO annoying. Worse than this.

You can have fun trying to copy a layer with  Opt/Alt drag, too. <BG> It does do the copy, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS V21 introduced the "Zoom to Layer Content" shortcut with pressing Alt key while clicking on the layer group. Whoever at Adobe decided this was a good idea I'd like a word with you! Why do this when there are already several other perfectly good ways to zoom in/out? Like "Ctrl+/-", which works great.

And of course there is no way to turn this zoom to layer shortcut off. Seems someone at Adobe forgot that holding "Alt" while clicking a layer group is how we collapse/expand layers! I usually work on files with several art boards, each with many layer groups. It's crucial for me to be able to collapse/expand my layer groups from the view I'm in. Now when I try to expand/collapse a layer group, the whole thing zooms all the way in???? No bueno, Adobe.

Please please enable an opt-out of this shortcut option in the preferences panel, or change the shortcut to some other key combination, or better yet: just get rid of it, because it's unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they can make it work without disrupting other workflows, then great.  If not just give us a way to turn it off.  Sort of like the way they "improved" the Transform tool earlier.  Now at least they give us an easy way to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHenever I make a mask from a shape in Photoshop CC 2020, the whole canvas zooms into that shape and makes it fill the entire canvas. This is really annoying when I work with a lot of shapes and want to use them as vector mask layers. I have to zoom out all the time. How can I disable this behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely hope this will be fixed quickly, and that Adobe spend the length it took to add the uniform transform off option, it was ok to wait for that one as it had a workaround - this one don't. This problem is really disrupting my workflow. And honestly, if you are used to zoom with keyboard shortcuts and a tablet, this new "auto zoom" feature is not needed at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely hope this will be fixed quickly, and that Adobe don't spend the length it took to add the uniform transform off option.  It was ok to wait for that one as it had a workaround - this one don't. This problem is really disrupting my workflow, especially for adding a shape to a mask with ctrl+shift+alt drag . I thought ctrl+shift worked, but that inverts the mask and makes it cumbersomme as well.
And honestly, if you are used to zoom with keyboard shortcuts and a tablet, this new "auto zoom" feature is not needed at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us a switch on the zoom to layer content when collapsed all layers or effect on layers. It drives me crazy all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up until this version, Option-clicking (on Mac) would expand and collapse all (nested) layer groups without messing with the current zoom level of the canvas. Since the latest version, Photoshop also zooms in on the canvas for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see you are looking to fix this issue. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I contacted Adobe about this, I was told my aggravation and the disruption of my workflow from Zoom to Content were "not typical", which didn't sound to me like they plan on addressing this anytime soon. Let's hope they do before I pull *all* my hair out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They really need to train their customer service folk better. (sigh)

Of course it's a major annoyance and of course Adobe folk on the PS team know that by now. Enough here alone have already described the problem. So it will get changed—how or when is something they never tell us, and I'll just hope for all our sakes that it's before you have pulled all your hair out. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This "Zoom" feature is pretty annoying, when you want to just collapse the layers. You could just remove the arrow area from this feature settings - it could do the trick. 😉
I am very pleased to see you are looking to fix it. I hope, you will fix this issue early.
THX! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

I usually use the shortcuts :
Ctrl as Select All
Ctrl + Shift as Add selection (+)
Ctrl + Alt as Substract selection (-)
Ctrl + Alt + Shift as Xor selection (x)

And the shortcuts with Alt are Zooming..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoying for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALT was the wrong key for this feature. As others have said, collapsing layers conflicts with the new zoom feature. I've also found myself unintentionally clipping and unclipping layers because of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate