P: Arrow keys stop working in type tool / text in CC

4 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

sometimes the arrow keys for moving the cursor in a text field do not work so I'd have to use the mouse to reposition the type cursor. After a restart of Photoshop everything works fine again.

There were some people with this issue in PS CS6 but as I use CC I decided to start a new topic.

System Info:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2.1 (14.2.1 20140207.r.570 2014/02/07:23:00:00) x64; Operating System: Mac OS 10.9.2

Would be pleased if anyone knows a way to fix this.

Cheers
czery

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
This should be fixed in the Photoshop CC (2015) update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by chance using a Wacom tablet?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey,

no graphic tablet at all, nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Window>Application Frame on or off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jeremias,

I'd like to help you to get to the bottom of your problem.

How frequently does this problem happen? Once per day, per hour? Are you running any third party software to support your mouse or keyboard? What language is your keyboard and OS set to? Have you installed the latest updates to PS?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

@Jeffrey: Application Frame is on.

@David: The problem appears more every hour than every day. No third party software for mouse / keyboard support. All updates are installed. OS language is German, PS language is English... could that cause this problem?

Cheers
Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jeremias,

I don't know the cause, but I'm thinking a mismatch between OS, app, and keyboard could be a factor. Which keyboard layout are you running? Which country-version? Which physical keyboard do you have plugged in?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David,

I am running German keyboard layout (QWERTZ) on a MacBook Pro, no external keyboard. I am wondering if it could be a mismatchas you described as the arrow keys are working fine sometimes and stop working just after a while.

Thanks for your effort anyway.
Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Jeremias,

Okay, that's is strange. We did have a bug with the arrow keys, but it was fixed in 13.0.5 and 14.1, so you should NOT be seeing the problem in 14.2.1.

The steps for that bug were:
1) Launch PS with application frame on
2) Select type tool and type some words and commit
3) Layer panel> Opacity > enter any number > hit enter or return key
4) Place cursor inside text and use arrow keys right or left (up or down)

RESULT: arrow keys don't work due to a focus issue.

Is this what you are seeing? Are you seeing something else?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

nope, can't reproduce the error with these steps. Very strange... I will watch out for the exact steps to reproduce this and will post it here as soon as I can... I hope we can get nearer to the source of this problem.

Cheers
Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I really couldn't reproduce this issue with a specific action. It still seems to appear randomly. Any news or suggestions on this?

Cheers
Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone fix this already? It's a joke that sophisticated software (and now an annual expense) has such a nuisance of a bug. I have 20140730.r.148 on x64 so yes, it's still a current bug. I've had this issue since CS6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround you can minimize the window / bring another window to the front / drag it to another screen / make all of this stuff and with a bit of luck it will work again.

-- EDIT
Simply deselecting View > Application Frame and selecting it again seems to do the trick, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Toggling in and out of application frame fixes it. Gotta agree with Justin though. Seriously annoying to be having these issues in 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Eric,

I'd like to help you to get to the bottom of your problem.  Unfortunately, there must be one or more missing elements as we *CANNOT* reproduce this issue in-house.

How frequently does this problem happen? Once per day, per hour? Are you running any third party software to support your mouse or keyboard? What language is your keyboard and OS set to? Have you installed the latest updates to PS?  What other apps are running?  

Thanks, 
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

(sorry Eric for replying here, it's a bit rude)

I can reproduce this error every time with this:

1. Application Frame is on
2. Make a text, no matter if Paragraph or Point Text and type something
3. Press commit or not, doesn't matter
4. Change to another window, type something there (like a browser input text, for me it works every time with Chrome, but I didn't test other apps)
5. Change back to Photoshop
6. With the text tool selected click the text
7. Arrow Keys won't work
--------
8. Deactivate Application Frame
9. Activate Application Frame
10. Arrow Keys work again

Sometimes it happens without typing something in another window, simply by interacting with another window.

It's Photoshop CC 2014 2.2, all updates installed. Like a few others here I have a Mac running Yosemite, German QWERTZ Keyboard Layout, but English Photoshop. (In case this could be a reason)

Best,
Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David for your timely response.

Timo has described the situation perfectly. I'm also running Photoshop CC2014 4.2.2 on a Mac Pro with Yosemite. U.S. Keyboard. All CC apps are up-to-date. Not running any new third party stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem. In fact I am paralyzed by the slowness and weird glitches that hhapprn daily with my photoshop CC subscription. Not only can I no longer highlight my text size, kerning, etc and change with the arrows, but my layers randomly open up upside down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you have bigger system problems. Are you using MacOS 10.10 by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beth,

I have to agree with Chris -- what you're describing sounds like something far more pervasive than the arrow-bug.  If you'd like to share the info on your system setup, perhaps we can help you get to the bottom this.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for wanting to help. I have odd glitch after odd glitch with this PS CC subscription! Caught up in trying to complete a project instead of finding the root of my problems. Here is the skinny: MacBook 2.4 GHz 2GB late 2011. Getting only gray highlight and inability to change anything incrementally with arrow keys in Character box. Occasionally able to get blue highlight on top options of size, but not in every file and not consistently. This is a newish problem and then there is the "it has flipped the contents of some of my layers upside-down" issue. Easy fix - just frustrating and time consuming. Not too worried with that - it is the type and font issue I need to solve asap. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - Mavericks is what I am running for an OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem since CS6, it appears that Adobe is aware of the issue since there is a help section on it: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/.... I would like to add that this bug also causes the home, end, and delete keys to stop working. It's now 2015 and no patch has been released, I would like to know if Adobe is even working on fixing this bug or is it something we just have to accept as a way the product functions? I work with PS every day and have to change application focus every few minutes! It's incredibly annoying and hinders my work progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As David notes above, that original issue was fixed in 13.0.5. I appears that some customers are hitting a different issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bullsh*t. I posted here 6 months ago and still run into this bug. -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now you looked for a reason to remove my comment to hide your embarrassment. Wow. Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate