• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto Blend Layers not focus blending - Photoshop 2014.1

LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4 registered images of fungi, all images are at the same exposure settings but focused at different levels within the frame. I need to 'blend' together to make one image with a combined DoF.
Ok, so I've imporetd into PSCC as 4 stacked Layers, non of which are Background Layers. I've selected all 4, auto alligned and then used Auto Blend Layers [ABL]. The outcome is that the top 3 layers have totaly black masks applied and the bottom all white. All I basically get as an output is one of the 4 images, no selectivity whatsoever, presumably because of the 3 totally black masks. It also executes the process very quickly.
I assume ABL should be selecting the better focused areas on each image [white on the black masks] and combining all to give me one image with collective DoF. This isn't happening

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014
This issue is fixed in the 2014.2 update. See the update announcement here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 202 Replies 202
202 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How difficult can this be? It is not a new function. Yet for photographers it is why you purchase/work in PS instead of Lightroom. Now there a disincentive. What does it take to get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could go to the prior version, CC doesn't even show it for me!
Seriously thinking of purchasing Zerene Stacker or Helicon and uninstalling CC PS altogether

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in lies another problem. When PS CC 2014 came out Bridge was updated, older version was removed. I usually enter PS by first entering Bridge. Anything I select in Bridge now defaults to CC 2014. I don't know how to Photomerge in Bridge and direct the process to PS CC and not CC 2014. So while focus stacking in CC works, Bridge does not work with PS CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Creative Cloud, select Apps at the top of the pop up, about half way down you'll see "Find New Apps", on the right hand side there's a "Filter By" drop down, click on this and there's a "Previous Versions" option, select this and the previous PS versions are shown. Select version 14 to have a working focus system.

This worked for me but I'm obviously getting all the messages about a new version is available. I often get asked to license the product as well, which is a PITA as I already have and have also paid in advance for a year.

I take a lot of moon photographs and the focus merge is so important, the same for flowers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thans Nick but as I am on trial version I don't think they allow to go to previous versions. When I go to CC and select Earlier Versions, PS is not on the list, only two other applications which I don't use

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open Ps first then go to file - browse in bridge. It will open in the version of Ps that is open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Richard, it's very frustrating. I used a dodgy Chinese hacked PS for a while before going "legit". Maybe they should ask that clever Chinese chap to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems like it should work, but it doesn't. Bridge will still open CC 2014 when you select Photomerge.

Raymond, I can think of two workarounds for your situation.

a) In Bridge, use the Load Files into Photoshop Layers command (which will open in CC 2014, of course). Save that document and load it into regular CC. Select all layers, and choose Edit > Auto-Align Layers... then Edit > Auto-Blend Layers. This is the same thing as the Photomerge function.

OR...

b) In Bridge, select the files to merge, and right-click Open With... and open them in CC. Then from the File menu, choose Automate > Photomerge. On the right side of the Photomerge dialog, you'll see a button marked Add Open Files. That one's probably closest to your existing workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it doesn't solve the problem but I got a 1 month free subscription as compensation after I contacted the chat support and complaining about this bug (and actually asked for a refund or discount). Lets hope I don't need t contact them again after another month. I suggest you do the same and let Adobe know it will loose money if they don't start fixing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the address of "chat support" that you contacted. I would also like to contact them and make a complaint. Unfortunately, I've committed to a one year contract and I don't know if this failure to provide working versions of current software places Adobe in breach of that contract. If not, then I'm stuck with a year of payments. But I can always refuse to renew and look for alternate software.

So, Adobe, any word on how long you will keep us hanging and when you might fix this bug? Didn't I read that this not only affects Auto-Blend layers but also panorama? Is HDR ruined by this as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if my link below works, but I just selected the Learn & Support link at the bottom of the Adobe start page, then Creative Cloud, on to Contact Us, then Creative Cloud again, then Membership, account, payment and after that Payments, invoices, orders and finally I clicked the big blue button Still need help? Contact us!

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?...

I also have a one year subscription (but pay per month, not for a whole year), but I immediately received an e-mail after the live chat confirming I will not be billed next month, and the support guy (Syed) was really helpful.

I haven't tried HDR yet as Nic Software does the trick slightly better IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that we all request a free month, whether we've paid up front or not. I expect if enough people do this the problem will be fixed by the end of the week. Money talks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too got 1 month free. - thanks.. The only way to resolve is to do this apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you, Raymond! Thumbs up! We have the beginning of a revolution, yes? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They say it's now fixed, but have given me 10 days credit for the inconvenience. Can anyone report back to say it is actually fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick

I tried updating my trial version this morning, something was installed from the cloud but guess what, focus stacking STILL not working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any new Photoshop update. I'm inclined to believe that there's a disconnect between customer service and reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update I see listed is to "2014.1" which they also call version 15.1. the information sheet they refer to -- www.adobe.com/go/photoshop_151_info -- doesn't mention a fix for AutoBlend Layers. The oldest comment on the page is August 5, 2014 -- certainly this is not a "new" update.

Deafening silence from Adobe on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I haven't seen an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A suggestion to Adobe, before releasing an update please test every feature at least once to make sure it works. This isn't one of those problems where you can't test it on every system and obviously some people will have bugs. This is just the software doesn't work and wasn't tested. I don't have a problem waiting for updates for you to test them properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a glaring mistake of a highly promoted feature/function. It makes you think about other bugs. What is surprising is that it remains uncorrected. I chatted, complained and got 1 month free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with CC 14. I was in contact yesterday with an Adobe rep and he suggested uninstalling, downloading a new version, reinstalling. Did all that, nothing improved, still just fully masking two of the three focus stacked images. I went to CS 6, which I'm glad I still have, and had NO PROBLEMS with blending them. I am glad to know that it is not just me that is having this problem. Unfortunately, it has taken a couple of hours of my time to do all the reinstalling and still having no improvement. Frankly, I haven't found any advantage to using CC 14 over CS 6 and I've had it for nearly 10 months now. While the rep I spoke with did his best to be helpful, he didn't mention anything about other people having problems with focus stacking and blending as it seems many of you are having as well. Sure is a pain in the backside to have to shift back and forth between applications to get my work done.

pjcaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine isn't fixed as my letter below states

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ought to go back to them again for being "economic" with the truth.

What about a response from the people who are supposed to be monitoring this board ?

Votes

Translate

Translate