• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brush Settings panel causing slowness/freezing/lagging

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I can't login here with my adobe ID while third-party cookies are blocked on my browser. Really?

Main  issue:
I have complex bug. I will try explain it.

How thebug is looks?
Mybrush tool is lagging while I'm drawing some smooth series of strokes.
I have video. You cansee drawing lags. Also you can see lags on the history panel.

How thebug appears?
To seethis bug you should have next:

1. Thebrush settings panel is on your screen.
  2. A lotof 16 bit brushs tips on it. (also displayed on the screen at this moment)
  3. At least one Layer (not background) is on your Layer panel.

RackMultipart2017102611664922k-d03b7fed-fc8d-40c2-b1e9-aebfb341dc93-247533219.pngRackMultipart2017102611664922k-d03b7fed-fc8d-40c2-b1e9-aebfb341dc93-247533219.png

What else?
Somevideos to show that the bug appears and disappears:
Layer panel influence

Brush panel influence:

A lot of 16 bit brush tips on the screen:

I madeone more video for show you one more manifestation of this issue.

See how slow a creation of new layers is.

It's all about Windows 8.1x64

Hope it helps. 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a known issue between the new Smoothing feature and using brushes. They're working on it, so watch this space. I had the problem with adding a new layer too while testing different configurations with the brushes, and I'm on  a Mac.

Currently the workaround is to turn OFF Smoothing in the Brush Settings panel and down to Zero in the Options bar. Try that and see if it doesn't help. Also be aware that Smoothing in the Brush settings panel automatically turns back on when you re-launch Photoshop. This workaround is only good within the active session.

If the workaround doesn't work at all for you, come back and let them know so they can find out what else might be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Smoothing doesn't affect my case at all.  This is strange bug and it's still here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to reproduce this, so far without success. Are you using a mouse or a stylus? If Stylus what Driver version is being used? Is the PSUserConfig setup for WinTab in use? It looks like based on your screen capture this is a dual monitor setup. Is this on the primary monitor or secondary? What is the positioning of the monitors? (eg. Primary on left)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to reproduce this, so far without success. Are you using a mouse or a stylus? If Styl....

Hi, Mike
I have a small Wacom CTH-480 with latest 6.3.25-5 Windows driver. I have PSUserConfig with "# Use WinTab UseSystemStylus 0" in it. But I can reproduce this lagging with mouse too. I have only one monitor (video isn't full screen capture).
I'm sure the problem don't relate to drawing generally. Just take a look to the last video I posted. No drawing at all.
It's all about brush settings panel and 16 bit tips on it. The lagging is depend by amount of 16 bit brushes tips that is displaying on my brush setting panel at this moment. Try to resize the brush panel to have maximum amount of 16 bit sample brushes on it. This panel is lagging itself even during scrolling and resizing.
And I have the same issue on my previous Photoshop CC 2017. It's weird.
I know that my Windows is far from nice and clean system. Now it's more like mess, like a little trash can. 😕 I realize I have to try got this bug on a clean system, but it needed so much time. Maybe much later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cristen, thank you!! The brush lagging was getting on my nerves!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is generally still here. But now new layers creation (my video 5) is going nice.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this, you've saved me so much time! I'd already lost a whole day worth of work trying to troubleshoot why my brush strokes were lagging so badly. Bought a new hard drive to use as a scratch disk which didn't help at all and missed a deadline because the job took me more than 3 times longer than it should have. Switching off the Brush Settings Panel has taken my work back to the speed it should be. These issues cause real problems, Adobe! After the issue CC 2018 had with the screen appearing in the top quarter of the screen was fixed, I had faith that I could delete CC 2017 from my machine and use CC 2018. Should we be losing confidence in Adobe? Affinity is looking tempting, received a free copy with the X-Rite Passport ColorChecker, in combination with Capture One could be time to switch over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this, you've saved me so much time! I'd already lost a whole day worth of work trying to troubleshoot why my brush strokes were lagging so badly. Bought a new hard drive to use as a scratch disk which didn't help at all and missed a deadline because the job took me more than 3 times longer than it should have. Switching off the Brush Settings Panel has taken my work back to the speed it should be. These issues cause real problems, Adobe! After the issue CC 2018 had with the screen appearing in the top quarter of the screen was fixed, I had faith that I could delete CC 2017 from my machine and use CC 2018. Should we be losing confidence in Adobe? Affinity is looking tempting, received a free copy with the X-Rite Passport ColorChecker, in combination with Capture One could be time to switch over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank god i found this.  brush lag was making me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much for this fix.  It's been driving me crazy for about 2 years.  I tried everything.

You have literally made me want to start drawing again.

Votes

Translate

Translate