• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color Picker can't pick foreground/background color from inside the picker dialog

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Good news: it's finally fixed! 🙂 This bug together with the "scroll to pan" bug (huge performance issues) are gone with the new 19.0 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you cannot pick a color from the UI when you are in a modal state, that is, when you have a dialog open.  It's always been that way, actually, and this is fairly common in most programs.  Basically, for the application, the rest of the UI "doesn't exist" while the dialog is active, although the document window is a special case.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not true.

This type of picking the color for text and strokes was a simple way in my workflow for years! It worked until the latest update. Now it's just a pain to pick from the foreground/background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid that you're mistaken.  I just verified on last year's version that this is the same (Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.1.2 (14.1.2 20130923.r.427 2013/09/23:23:00:00) x64).  Nothing has changed in any of this in quite some time.  Perhaps you're thinking of another part of the application.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rly? so I installed CC 2014 and hey, oh wonder, it's working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGTRj...

And it worked on CC 2015 before the last patch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to 2015.0.0 so did not had time to work with 2015.1 and can not confirm this bug, but it works in this way and I myself used to pick colors from images in this way.
I can't believe how many things have been broken in this update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough here and tried to answer too much at once.

You can pick colors a) from the active Document Window, and b) from any enabled UI elements, which include the Foreground/Background picker.  No OTHER UI elements will work, however, such as other portions of the UI or the Libraries panel (which is why I'm answering this question as I logged a bug to change that behavior already).

Because neither I nor the folks at Tech Support can reproduce the problem you're having on Win7, Win8, or Win10 (as well as Mac 10.11) using multiple machines, this would then imply that there is one or more additional elements involved here.  What other elements those could be, I'm not sure.  We'll need more info.  Off the top of my head, I'd be curious to know: what precise OS are you using?  What language version are you running?  What other Adobe apps do you have installed?  What other apps do you have running?  What other apps do you have installed?  Was there any problem during installation, even one that "cleared itself"?  What kind of pointer/mouse are you using?  Anything unusual about the setup?

Since, we've heard no other users complain about this neither during prerelease nor when the update went live, I strongly doubt that this is a general or common problem.  Even minor bugs in common workflows generate a half dozen or more complaints a day.

So, back to my point, there is almost certainly something specific to your machine or setup triggering this problem.  It could be an app or it could be a misbehaving plugin.  I honestly don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried a lot of stuff now. I think it's something with detaching the toolbar. I think i can reproduce this bug on all of my systems (pc and mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a lot of time with testing and there are two veeeeeeeeeeeery bad workarounds.

1. Work with the default 1 column toolbar
I hate this, but this is the best way to work around this bug right now . If you switch to the 2 column toolbar it will has the bug...

2. Drag from outside to the color picker
This is a nasty workaround, but if you click on the dark background of photoshop and drag your picker to the foreground/background color, photoshop will pick it. If you click directly, it doesn't work.

(Tested on 2 Systems, PC and Mac)

PLEASE fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT is the secret ingredient!  Okay, cool, I can now repro this bug on Windows (but not Mac) when I float the Toolbar.  If I change the width of the Toolbar, then I can also reproduce this on Mac 10.11, though docking/floating seems to be unimportant there.

The workaround is to dock the toolbar and in single column mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, has also been my workflow for years. How does it make sense to Not be able to color pick the foreground/background color? So many great things has happened to Photoshop with the 2015 release, but also many bad things has been made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update regarding this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues and it's been impacting my workflow in a negative way. I've used Photoshop for years and I can't understand why they would take important functionality like this out! Photoshop CS6 and CC were the last stable releases of Photoshop. The 2015 updates are more like using buggy, beta software and I think that's pretty much what we're going to be stuck with from here on out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 month. No update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next month is sad bug-birthday.
This bug is still there and hey, it's in cc 2017, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really sad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Push

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I often work in indexed color. After reducing a design down to indexed color I often click on a color on the Color Table and then choose (click on) either the foreground or background color from the Main Toolbox to add them to the color table. In the latest versions of CC this no longer works. I have reproduced this on several computers (but not Macs) Is this a known bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When i update Photoshop CC 2015 to CC 2015.1.1, Eyedropper tool won't work with expanded tools, only work fine with non-expanded tools when i choose a color from Foreground and Background colors

I hope this video explain what my problem is,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMAbK...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 month, still not fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good news: it's finally fixed! 🙂 This bug together with the "scroll to pan" bug (huge performance issues) are gone with the new 19.0 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate