2. Platform and OS version: macOS Monterey v12.5.1
  3. Basic steps to reproduce the problem:
    • Open Untagged RGB PNG image
    • Edit > Convert to Profile... > sRGB
    • File > Save
    • File > Close
  4. Expected result and actual result: 
    • Reopen file
    • Expected: file should retain color profile (needs to be embedded)
    • Result: color profile has not been embedded, remains untagged
    • Work Around: File > Save As... - allows you to check the embed profile box
    • Solution: emed profile box should be checked by default as in Photoshop v23
    • Embed via saving with a script may also not be working currently.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yes, I do see this (Result: color profile has not been embedded, remains untagged). But there is also a fundamental issue in the steps. Open untagged RGB PNG fine. You really now should Assign the Working Space to that data and then convert to sRGB. 

Then save, and if you reopen it, the embedded profile does stick. 

However, what you report isn't what I'd consider correct or ideal! The untagged image should be assumed to be in the RGB Working Space you have selected in your Color Settings. In my case, that is ProPhoto RGB and that is used when I try your steps and then convert to sRGB. Of course, if the data isn't in ProPhoto RGB, this 'assumption' leads to very ugly color. 

I'm going to vote it a bug, the product shouldn't (not) embed the profile after a conversion. Good catch. But it might be worth testing whereby you do this:

• Open Untagged RGB PNG image
  • Edit > Assign Profile... > sRGB (if that's the right profile for the data).
  • File > Save
  • File > Close

The team needs to know if, like me, this works for you and then maybe they can explain if using your steps (Convert from Untagged) is an excuse for not tagging the data (I think not). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is also odd is this only happens with PNGs! If I do the same test using a JPEG, the profile is embedded. Why is PNG only affected?

I've filed an internal bug report but this open forum report is still useful and others should test and provide feedback too.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call, thanks for mentioning those other conversion options. So far I have tried:

• Edit > Convert to Profile...
  • Edit > Assign Profile...
  • Turning on Missing Profiles - Ask When Opening in Color Settings 
    • Assign working RGB
    • Assign profile

For each of these options I've Saved, Closed, and Re-opened the file. The color profile remains unembedded for every possible route, and always remained Untagged RGB on re-opening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering is investigating.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I find this reproduces in latest versions both 24.5 and 24.6.

Every other time I save a PNG will lose the default check of color embedding.

BTW I am using recorded actions. I wish you can put the embed color profile value (true or false) into action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, if record an action to save png, the ICC Profile is unchecked even I checked while recording an action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still not fixed!!! it s a super annoying bug, I lose a lot of time

Votes

Translate

Translate