• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Eyedropper tool now switches window focus

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to PS CC 2020, and I'm frustrated by what appears to be a change in the behavior of the Eyedropper tool.

I'm used to frequently using the Alt- key with the Brush selected to activate the Eyedropper and quickly select a color from a different document window within Photoshop. But now, in 2020, a click from the Eyedropper tool will most of the time switch the focus to the window that I clicked in, This happens whether I have the Eyedropper tool selected or am using Alt. Except that the behavior is not consistent... sometimes (rarely) the focus stays the same, and sometimes it quickly flashes back and forth.

The fact that the behavior is inconsistent suggests to me that something may be wrong, and that this is not just another inexplicable deliberate change in the behavior of PS tools. Is this a known issue, and is there any fix or workaround for it?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Let me know if you're still having trouble with this issue in 22.0.1 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020
I've reopened this for engineering to look at, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
23 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the 21.2 update that went out this AM. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a click with the eyedropper tool (whether manually selected or temporarily selected with the Alt key) still changes focus to the window clicked on. This is using 21.2.0.

It does work properly if both windows are free floating, but it doesn't work when the main window is docked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. This is strange. Are you only seeing this when the docked image is active and you try to sample from the floating image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having used it more, now I find that it's behaving pretty much the same way it did before the update. Even when all the windows are free floating, sometimes the eyedropper switches focus, and sometimes it doesn't. The behavior seems erratic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Photoshop 21.2 on Windows 10 1909.   I only free-float windows, never dock, and the window you have brought up to the foreground loses focus when you use the eyedropper (zoom) - focus goes back to the previous window you were working on, not the one that you just brought to focus yourself.

Note that I fully uninstalled all Adobe Creative Cloud products and reinstalled, as this isn't the only bug that I've been dealing with.  No changes, all bugs are still here. 

Driving me crazy.  The latest version of Photoshop is bug-ridden in the most inconvenient places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reopened this for engineering to look at, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going through the same thing with the eyedropper tool, it definitely has an impact on my workflow.  Photoshop V 21.2
Windows 10 Pro 19041.388
Thanks for any help in this matter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue - eyedrop tool changes active window. Really has an impact on workflow. Working with windows 10, cintiq, photoshop v 21.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally managed to sign into my account to say that I'm also still having this problem with Windows 10 | Photoshop v. 21.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, fore some reason it keeps changing focus.
windows 10
Photoshop 21.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if you're still having trouble with this issue in 22.0.1 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does appear to be working properly on version 22.1.0.

There is some new strange behavior with the shape tools in this version, but I suppose that's for a different ticket. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having this exact same issue in Photoshop 2021, in the latest version 22.4.2. Is there a workaround for this or should I revert back to a previous version?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jonathan Lavigne It's working correctly for me now. I'm on version 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042  x64

Photoshop briefly switches to the window I Alt-click on, but then switches back to the current window, in less than a second. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok weird. It's intermittent on my side, like what you described in your original post. Maybe it's a symptom of another setting... But yeah that brief focus shifting behavior (even when it works properly) sure looks weird to me. I never noticed this with previous versions.

I updated Photoshop during the weekend (I was previously using the 2017 version and had no issue). I'll investigate more. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I figured out the repro steps. Here's what I got:

If I explicitly select the Eyedropper tool (using the "i" shortcut or clicking it in the toolbar) and I color pick the other window, it gives focus to that other window.

But when using the "Alt" shortcut (with pencil or paintbrush), the focus switches back as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jonathan Lavigne Yeah, I have the same behavior. That may be as intended. Fortunately I use the Alt shortcut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK good to know, thanks for confirming!

I reverted to Photoshop CC 2019 and the behavior is definitely different (better). There's no weird temporary window focus shift when using the Eyedropper tool with "alt". The Eyedropper tool also never switches focus when I explicitly select the tool.

So, this behavior clearly changed in newer versions. Not sure if it's a bug or intended, but in my case, this interferes with my workflow. I'll keep using the 2019 version for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An update:
I Tested a few more things with Photoshop 2021, and I noticed that if I uncheck "Show Sampling Ring" the Eyedropper tool now behaves as expected and doesn't switch window focus.

Another thing I've found: If I select the Eyedropper tool and then use "alt" to color pick (like I'd do when using the pencil/brush), that also prevents from switching focus. So, that's another workaround.

@JeffreyTranberry What's the proper way to submit a bug report? 

Votes

Translate

Translate