• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Inaccurate selections with Radeon graphics cards on Mac OS

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Lion, selections with the Rectangular Marquee Tool generally are reduced by one pixel when the mouse button is released. For example, dragging a 25x25px square results in a 24x25px selection.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013
It appears this issue was solved by a fix to the drivers released with Mac OS X 10.8.3 or later. Let us know if you're using a version of OS X 10.8.3 or later and still seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem, too, and it's made doing accurate UI work with Photoshop utterly maddening.

Potentially related, selections were also off pre-Lion when using OpenGL rendering. Disabling OpenGL and restarting Photoshop fixed the selection issue pre-Lion, but the issue is there in Lion with or without OpenGL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does this occur only with dragging out a marquee by hand, or also when using the Fixed Size option in the marquee tool options bar?

Does this occur only at certain zoom levels? Can you reproduce this problem at 100% zoom level?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

The issue occurs for me under both CS5 and CS5.5 only at 100% zoom. (Higher zoom levels seem to have accurate selections, and lower zoom levels are ambiguous). It occurs with a freehand rectangle selection as well as Fixed Size selections.

Here's a quick video of the bug in action:
http://static.command-tab.com/temp/bu...
In all cases, I was careful to create a selection at 100% zoom that was *dead on* matching the blue square. Yet, when I released the mouse button to confirm my selection, it jumped and missed my carefully-aimed target by a pixel. More often than not, it misses by moving my whole selection up or by just raising the bottom edge of my selection by one pixel.

For someone who does pixel accurate work, it's frustrating to have to make a selection two, three, four times or more to get the size to "stick".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What machine are you using, and what video card/chip? We've seen that bug before and it was specific to certain GPU versions (ie: a bug in the driver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I'm using a 2.66 GHz Late 2009 Quad Core i5 27" iMac (iMac11,1) with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB) GPU.

Possibly related, I encounter this bug with Photoshop's "Enable OpenGL Drawing" turned off under Preferences -> Performance. With OpenGL drawing turned on, both the in-progress creation *and* completed selection don't match my cursor positions exactly. I typically turn off OpenGL drawing because it decreases marquee selection accuracy, and did so even before this Lion & CS5+ bug manifested. The two may be related, though. It would definitely be worth looking into. I can create another screencap with OpenGL turned on, if needed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce this. It's a little more subtle with OGL off but it definitely occurs with OGL on and off. Thanks for the demo video, Collin. I'll log a bug report on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is related, but the eyedropper tool for me exhibits a strange pixel shift at times in Lion, in both Photoshop CS5 and CS5.1. Sometimes, the preview circle will shift one pixel from where the cursor is, and show the color of that pixel instead. When I let go of the mouse button, the color that the cursor is actually on does get selected though. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it looks like it shifts the circle over to the right, sometimes one pixel down, sometimes down and to the right. I can see the circle actually move right after it appears. I took a screen recording of this happening, the odd thing is that although I was 100% sure my cursor was on the rightmost edge of the blue square, in the recording, it shows it on the white part to the right of the square. You can see when the mouse is released though, that blue is the foreground color, not white like the circle shows should be. This never happened in Snow Leopard.

http://intendo.net/files/ScreenRec...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. It's as though 1px = 1.138523 px or something. Simply brutal. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just selection marquee either. Also crop tool and shape layer tools. It's killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest MacBook Pro here and one that's about 2 years old at home. Same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely frustrating. I used to be able to zip around with great accuracy (and always touted the wonderful "feel" of adobe products because of the pixel accuracy - when drawing bezier curves, for example). I do pixel-perfect work and this is driving me nuts. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note.. even the marquee isn't rendering correctly in this zoomed view. See the pixel of gray across the top? That should be the "marching ants".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still working with Apple to try and get the video driver bugs fixed -- there's just an awful lot of them in 10.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2011 3.4GHz i7 iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6970M
OS X Lion 10.7.1
Photoshop CS 5.1

When I make a selection, the selection displays one pixel off from where it should be. As seen in the screenshot below the selection is actually flush to the right edge of the canvas even though it displays 1px off. If I pan the screen around the gap goes away in some spots which leads me to believe this is some sort of compatibility issue between certain Radeon cards and Photoshop.

I have searched around and it would seem many people have experienced this issue. All of my software is up to date. If I turn off OpenGL then this display issue goes away, however this is not a fix. A brand new top of the line iMac should have no problem running Photoshop. The problem also does not seem to be isolated to CS 5.1 or OS X 10.7.1.

For more details, see threads: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2990758 and http://forums.adobe.com/message/39544... on the Adobe forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2011 Nov 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screen shots to better illustrate the OpenGL problem with many Macs. The selection marquee is offset 1 pixel right and 1 pixel down while drawing. Once the mouse is released, the marquee snaps in position on the horizontal axis, but remains off in the vertical axis.
Changing the OpenGL options has no effect on this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this EXACT same problem. Marquee selections slightly off after unclick via trackpad or mouse (Bluetooth & USB).

Also when dragging a Curves point is generally off 1px.

VERY AGGRAVATING

2011 MBP 2.2GHz i7
OSX 10.7.2
AMD Radeon 6750M
CS5 Photoshop 12.0.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so crazy there is a topic for this, I just assumed it was broken on my machine, but the fact that so many users are having issues with it, well, it's kind disheartening. I'm a designer so when things are inaccurate my work suffers, if my work suffers I don't get paid, ipso facto, I get hungry. Little help adobe! Your products rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, on both an iMac and a Mac Pro with an NVIDIA card. It's not limited to Radeons.
Adobe, get on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're investigating this issue. As a workaround, if you base your selection on the cursor position instead of the marching ants positions, the selection should still be faithful to the cursor position on mouse-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it doesn't. That's the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're complaining about an Apple video driver bug....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So.. Why does the problem only occur in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For rectangular marquee? If you give me your graphics card I can see if I can reproduce that. That would be a slightly different behavior from what's mentioned here. The final drawn marquee should still be drawing at the crosshairs of the cursor position on mouse up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Give me your graphics card name, not the physical card itself. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconded. I see the issue exactly as I video-captured (above) on my 2.13 GHz Late 2010 MacBook Air with an NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB card. That makes two machines for me as well, with different graphics card manufacturers.

Chris, I think what we're all hoping for here is that, if it's an Apple bug that's affecting Photoshop, we'd like to see Adobe work with Apple to get the issue resolved. And if it's not an Apple bug, we'd like a fix from Adobe for the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate