• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Indents and Spacing, Paragraph Styles not working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Indents and Spacing" option in "Paragraph Styles" in photoshop doesn't work properly. It doesn't do anything. However you can force it to work if you change the Indents and Spacing FIRST, then change something else after (for example the font size). Even if you choose the exact same font size this forces it to work.

I have double checked overrides / character styles and the problem is the some on my colleagues computer. We're both using the latest version of CC.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015
Hi Seth,

First, transforming text is NOT the same as changing the point size and causes ALL SORTS of problems.  We've tried for years to hide this confusion and all the attendant issues from users, but as the products become more sophisticated, this has become problematic.  So, short answer, if you transform text, all bets are off that it will behave correctly.  On the bright side, you can use Text Styles (found in the Library panel) to effectively and permanently remove a transformation -- see b...

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Rob,

Great catch. This was working in earlier versions. I'll log a bug right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! They fixed it for a bit I think, but its back again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ping, is your Photoshop up to date? http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Directions for sharing your system info from Photoshop:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ping,

I'm not seeing any problem with the latest version of Photoshop CC on either Windows or Mac.  Could you go to Help > System Info and copy the contents here?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ping, I'm not seeing a Creative Cloud account under your Adobe ID, only Master Collection CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CC 2014. I'm running into a similar problem with paragraph styles as well. Attached an image of the Paragraph Styles tab, where in this example I've set up the style for a 48pt headline, some specific tracking as well as a color change.

The problem occurs when I'll click on the new style after I've created it - it changes the selected text to the new color I want, but none of the formatting options I've set it up for. It puts a plus next to the selected style too, like its updating the setting rather than just changing the text to whats specified in the style.

Click the little circular update icon and everything changes at that point. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or is this a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

The + means that you've put an additional MANUAL override on the style.  When you click the first icon on the left, you remove it.  The second would instead add that formatting to the style.  The third makes a new style and the right most one deletes the style.  Sounds like it's behaving correctly.  The model is similar to what is also in InDesign and Illustrator.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,
In response to Pete K's post, I wanted to follow up to add that I think this is quite confusing. I've made up a 72dpi example where I've got 2 layers:
Layer 1) has a new style applied to it.
Layer 2) The second I've dragged in from another PSD. This layer has transforms previously applied and it came from a 144dpi PSD (which you'll see impact it later).

First thing I want to try is apply the "paragraph style 1" to the black text layer. In order to do it I select the second layer. Then in the paragraph styles panel, I see the style with a "+" behind it. Which is confusing. I'm not sure what this means. I want to apply the style to the layer, the same style that is selected. So I peruse the bottom options.

These seem weird. I want to "Apply" it. The "Clear Override" is the proper action to accomplish my task. But its very confusing to understand. I want to choose the style to apply to the layer. By having the "+" constantly applied to every layer, it creates unneeded confusion around the task of saving and applying paragraph styles.

Finally, once I do realize the "Clear Override" is the proper button, if the text has transforms applied (that is my assumption of the bug) the text takes on all the characteristics but the scale is way off. This is my final result:

PSD:
http://adobe.ly/1F0zGZL

Thanks I hope that helps!

- Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Seth,

First, transforming text is NOT the same as changing the point size and causes ALL SORTS of problems.  We've tried for years to hide this confusion and all the attendant issues from users, but as the products become more sophisticated, this has become problematic.  So, short answer, if you transform text, all bets are off that it will behave correctly.  On the bright side, you can use Text Styles (found in the Library panel) to effectively and permanently remove a transformation -- see below

Using the new Libraries, you can effectively remove a PROPORTIONAL transformation from text.  How, you ask?  Open the Libraries panel.  Select your text layer and in the Libraries panel, click the T icon at the bottom left (second icon in).  You've now defined a Text Style which is based on your type layer, with the transformation calculated into the point size and then removed (*applause*).  Now, simply re-apply that Text Style back onto your selected layer and the transformation (IFF proportional) is now gone.

The + you're seeing is pretty standard for any sort of type styles in any app, whether from Adobe, Microsoft, whatever.  It means you have a style which has ADDITIONAL formatting on top of it.  Photoshop, Ilustrator, etc all use the same, hierarchical model.  Anything the USER does is of highest priority (by default) and overrides other styles, which is why you have a +.  So, you have to either clear the formatting or add it to the style, precisely as I pointed out in the earlier post.

It might sound complex, but this allows for TWO levels of styles -- paragraph and character.  I've been meaning to do a video on the topic; maybe later this month.  Meanwhile, any book or tutorial on Type Styles in Illustrator or InDesign should demonstrate the basics and why this structure is awesome once you get the hang of it.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate