• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Is there an optimal setting for Select and Mask? I can never get it to work efficiently :-(

Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since Select and Mask had been released, I've never managed to get it to work smoothly. Actually, when it was first launched, it probably worked the "best" but it still was a waiting game and was never quick. Is there an optimal setting? The quick selection tool is almost instant. I have a decent system but it struggles in Select and Mask. Please see video for demo of my experience. Also, see comments for system spec. Does anyone actually use it effectively? Or do you still use the "old method"(refine edge). This is excruciatingly painful - over 5 mins and I've still not manage to make a basic cutout

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it's frustrating as ever. Photoshop isn't even using all my resources so it's NOT a case of my system's abilities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

intel 9900K, 64Gb RAM, 1070GTX Windows 10 Pro, SSD work drive, SSD scratch disk, SSD system drive. Clean install of Windows and PS out of despair. Latest NVidia creative drivers.

Performance of Select and Mask workspace is unusably slow.  I'm still using Topaz Remask 5  (Not  the AI version) because the photoshop tools are too slow to use.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was testing yesterday and found that the old Refine tool is still faster than S&M! For those wanting to use it, hold down Shift and then in menu>Select>Select and Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Den, can you give specifics of what is slower?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush lags 1-2 seconds behind cursor, after releasing the pen there's a 3-4 seconds delay before the screen updates with the latest, often incorrect, change. It's very frustrating to use, if it wasn't for Topaz I'd be doing a lot more swearing.

The only reason I revisited S&M at all was due to the latest patch promising improvement to the CAF and masking algorithm but the speed sadly writes it off again 😞

Video clip here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/678901730
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Above video is a fresh reboot, fresh load of PS with single image. After working on 5-10 images it's significantly slower still.
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get this exact issue. 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM, Ryzen 9 3900x, 1070 nividia 8gb, 1TB m2, 2 TB SSD, x9 3.5 drives. My system is state of the art but this is unusable! What the heck is going on?

Also, adobe can you please fix the issue in select and mask were the scroll wheel zoom just randomly stops working. This has been going on since Cs6! Cannot believe I pay for this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate